Pre-match: USA vs Bolivia May 28th, 2018

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lookingforleftbacks, Apr 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when does the roster come out for this game?

2. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly on Sunday.

adam tash repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Preferred roster for this match.

GK: Steffen, Hamid, Bono
    DF: Yedlin, Chandler, Besler Brooks, Miazga, EPB, Glad, Robinson
    MF: Trapp, McKennie, Roldan, Adams, Pulisic, Saief, Mueller, Gall, Lletget
    FW: Wood, Agudelo, Dwyer

4. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    If Amon is out via injury Green should be on this roster somewhere.

Lookingforleftbacks and Patrick167 repped this.
  5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I like your defenders. Mueller and Gall? Is Agudelo even starting for NERevs. We still have to try to win some games.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Who do you want instead of Mueller and Gall? Arriola? Rowe? Green? No, I'd prefer Mueller and Gall.

Your comment about Agudelo just showcases the problem with some's perception of him. They pay no attention to how he's doing, and just assume its poorly, even though he almost always is playing very well. There's a pre-conceived notion that he should be struggling because some like to lump him in a category with players like Shea and co. that he doesn't belong in a category with. And yes, he is playing well.

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My criticism, one man's opinion:

We need a hold up 9 guy so I'm happy Sargent has been called up. Wood is playing badly, even taking into consideration the team he plays for is bad. I'd like to see us move to a policy of not simply importing bad play to the team.

You don't have anybody who can pass thru the middle third apart from Trapp who will most likely be a the 6 dmid position. Pulisic is a forward because he gets behind the defense. I'd bring Delgado and Parks and hv them split time at the 8 next to Trapp.

I wouldn't clutter the back line with guys who will not be in Qatar like Besler, Chandler. Also I'd just as soon Brooks stay home and rehab and hope we get some credit balance with his club. Isnt Robinson like a virtual 3rd div player in England? I wish we could get into 532/352 situations at some point so we don't find ourselves always looking for left backs who will get beat in SPS.

Havent seen Gall much lately but he was always a very limited player, much like Green. I'm not crazy about Mueller but fine, give the kid a chance. Saief seems like a bag of antics to me but let him play out his string.

b.t.w., what I read was that the roster on Sunday will be one which will be pared down by 10 players before heading to Europe. I feel like we'll have the Paraguay 23 with 10 players added, i.e., McKennie, Pulisic, Parks, Sargent, Lletget, et al (actually Wes and Manneh were scratches against Paraguay)

https://www.ussoccer.com/mens-national-team/latest-roster#tab-1

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not in favor of calling in players like Sargent, Weah, Parks, etc, so there's the answer to that. Wood is there due to a lack of striker options. We have a lot of injuries right now. Johansson, Morris, Altidore, and the striker position isn't good to begin with. The holdup striker there is Agudelo. I think A Trapp-McKennie CM would pass the ball pretty well, but I wouldn't be against Delgado getting called in. He's probably the next CM I'd call in. I'm not sure why you think Besler and Chandler won't be able to contribute at the 2022 WC. Robinson is a second division player. He had a good season, and we struggle for quality LB's. Who is a better option? I don't know how much Gall has improved. I agree he wasn't good for the U-20's, but he's playing well and we struggle for attacking mids.

9. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I still want some veterans called in along with youngsters. I want to see Parks well over Mueller and or Gall. Still don't mind calling a few veterans early in the cycle. Nagbe is playing great, Bradley is ok, Altidore is still our best Forward but injured now. I watch alot of MLS and Agudelo doesn't overly impress me. He's stiff, Can't run to combine. I do admit when NE Revs are on I watch less than other games because I don't like how they play or their players. Wouldn't mind seeing Lima as Yedlin's backup. I Want Sargent as one of my Forwards, no matter his lack of first team minutes its due to circumstances, he's a special talent. For me Mueller is a solid MLS player but his first touch is still not International quality. I'll admit I haven't seen every minute for Agudelo, I've seen alot of Mueller and Nagbe but you have to come clean on how you saw Gall playing recently.
    And Delgado over Roldan, I don't think they're that close.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    With Trapp sitting back and McKennie required more forward because of the limited attack, I think the cmid next to Trapp becomes key in getting us going. We don't have to re-litigate criteria you hv for handing out call-ups but I would only say here that the price you pay for not calling up a Sargent (who won the Golden Boot playing in England with his Bremen team in a reserve team tournament) is that you call up a player who is playing really badly instead. I don't see anybody benefiting from this "standard operating procedure".

11. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #136 manfromgallifrey91, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
    If we were building towards a tourney in 3 months, sure totally different. But were a full year away from ramp up. So letting the young guys get some time makes more sense for now. So for me:

Gk Steffen, Bono, Melia
    Def Yedlin, Glad, Garza, Lichaj, Brooks, Miazga, Robinson, Olsunde, Ream
    Mid Adams, Durkin, Kljestian, Fielhaber, Roldan, Lleget, Nagbe
    Fwd Dwyer, Pulisic, Sapong, Novakovich

Gk: Steffen, Bono and Melia
    Def: Yedlin, Brooks, Miazga, Glad, Robinson, Ream/CCV, EPB, Lichaj, Olosunde
    Mid:Adams, McKinnie, Saief, Trapp, Weah, Holmes, Roldan
    Fwd: Novakovich, Dwyer, Pulisic, Sargent

Steffen
    Yedlin-Brooks-Miazga-Robinson
    McKinnie-----Holmes------Adams
    Pulisic-----Novakovich-----Saief

But with 10 dropping first game maybe
    Melia
    Yedlin-Glad-Ream-Lichaj
    ----Roldan--Durkin-Trapp
    ---------Pulisic-----Adams
    --------------Dwyer
    So dropping some of the the mlsers and adding the euro guys(youth) after the first. Fielhaber, Roldan, Durkin, Glad, Roldan, Klestjian, Lleget, Nagbe, Sapong, and Garza

12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Sarachan has called up a youthful squad for the Bolivia match, with "numerous changes" planned for the subsequent two matches in Europe.

GOALKEEPERS (3):
    Alex Bono (Toronto FC/CAN; 0/0), Bill Hamid (Midtjylland/DEN; 5/0), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 2/0)

DEFENDERS (8): Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur/ENG; 2/0), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 14/1), Matt Miazga (Chelsea/ENG; 5/1), Matthew Olosunde (Manchester United/ENG; 0/0), Erik Palmer-Brown (Manchester City/ENG; 0/0), Antonee Robinson (Everton/ENG; 0/0), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna/MEX; 16/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 2/0)

MIDFIELDERS (9):
    Joe Corona (Club Tijuana/MEX; 20/3), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland/ENG; 3/0), Julian Green (Stuttgart/GER; 8/3), Alejandro Guido (Club Tijuana/MEX; 0/0), Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 1/1), Keaton Parks (Benfica/POR; 0/0), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 20/9), Rubio Rubin (Club Tijuana/MEX; 5/0), Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA; 1/0)

FORWARDS (2):
    Andrija Novakovich (Reading/ENG; 1/0), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 0/0)

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...player-roster-to-philadelphia-for-usa-bolivia

13. Danny Woodhead

Jul 12, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Cape Cod Crusaders
    This may be one of the most random/controversial rosters in USMNT history, and I am most perplexed by Walker Zimmerman.

14. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    I like that we are rewarding mediocrity, by calling up Guido, Gooch, etc

15. tdbostic11

tdbostic11 Member

Aug 29, 2017
    El Paso, TX
    Love the roster. Building towards olympics. Will be a ton of changes for European friendlies. Feed me the youth!

jnielsen repped this.
  16. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    --------------------Hamid----------------------
    Olosunde-----CCV----Miazga---- Villafana

------------McKennie---Corona-------------
    ---------Weah ---------- Pulisic

----------------- Green
    --------------------Sargent

This will never happen, but i would enjoy the hell out of it.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  17. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Wish Amon couldve made it, But should be fun to watch in person anyways.

18. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha...finally a US roster with players from Manu, Chelsea, Tottenham, Dortmund, Shalke, PSG, Man City, Benfica

19. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    why no Hyndman?

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good squad. Hopefully they don't play as poorly as Sarachan's other teams have.

21st Century Pele repped this.
  21. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    This roster is interesting for the Dmid options, figure you could probably go Mckennie, Parks or EPB there, but I don’t think Parks can play as a Dmid with out the work rate of a Tyler Adams in front of him and Mckennie (for me anyway) is more of an 8.

My two cents

—————Hamid—————-
    Lichaj-Miazga-CCV-Robinson
    —————EPB——————
    —Mckennie——Parks———
    -Green——Nova———Pulisic

22. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    --------------Weah------Sargent--------------------

Pulisic--------Mckennie---Parks-------------Rubin

Robinson---EPB--------Miazga------------Olosunde

-------------------Bono---------------------------------

Namdynamo and punintended_13 repped this.
  23. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The big Question I have : how much of this roster will change after the Bolivia game? I could see guys like Guido replaced with someone from MLS like Nagbe or Adams.

Amon is playing his final league game tomorrow, so maybe he’s called in for the Ireland and France games?

24. tdbostic11

tdbostic11 Member

Aug 29, 2017
    El Paso, TX
    I feel like heard somewhere Amon is injured. Hammy I believe.

25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm seeing a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 being used here with Pulisic, Sargent, Weah, Green and Novakovic all more suited for that then a 4-4-2. Seems wasteful to play Pulisic as a wide mid in a 4-4-2. That does create a bit of a dilemma at defensive mid where McKennie could play there or EPB sort of out of position from his pro position.