Pre-match: USA vs Bolivia. COPA AMERICA 2024. Game 1. June 23. Arlington, TX

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Jun 13, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Eatching" sounds like a much-needed neologism that is a combination of eating and watching, as in watching a game while eating a shitload of delicious but bad food. In which case, yeah--I'm eatching the shit out of the Euros, and plan to eatch the Copa as well.

2. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one should take the Bolvia game for granted, and I seriously doubt the team will do so. As for whether there's cause for optimism, what I've seen is that this team tends to perform well in games that they "should" win when they're at home, as illustrated by recent WCQs and CNL games in the US. Away from home we're often a shitshow against such teams, again as illustrated by WCQ and CNL outcomes. So if the Bolivia game were on a neutral site I'd be much more concerned. If it were in La Paz, I'd be praying for a draw.

Mahtzo1, dark knight, ChrisSSBB and 3 others repped this.
  3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To be fair I think every team hopes for a draw there and to be able to breathe at that altitude.

Mahtzo1, tomásbernal and Winoman repped this.
  4. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine playing a match at 12,000 ft.

Pegasus repped this.
  5. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Thinking about it now as the game gets closer, I'm in favor of putting out the A team against Bolivia and Panama to try to make sure we got those 6 points in the bag. But:

1) If we can get a solid lead, I'm in favor of subbing out key guys early to save some wear on them.

2) I think there are enough questions about the best starting 11 that some rotation can occur without it being a B team or partial B team. For instance, I don't know who is our most effective forward at this point. At a gut level, I still think Balogun has the most quality but still doesn't completely mesh with the team. He also doesn't seem to be as effective against a packed in defense. So, there's a case to be made that an A team against Bolivia would actually include Pepi or maybe even Wright at forward. I have similar questions at CM with Adams presumably unable to start and CB.

6. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I play the best eleven against Bolivia, but save Adams for Panama. That’s the one everything hinges on.
    So start the best eleven against Bolivia, get a lead and sub liberally. Then be ready to go to war with Panama, get the six points and chill on game day 3.

kennytt, TrueCrew and Zinkoff repped this.
  7. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say again what an absolute masterclass it was for Berhalter and US Soccer to schedule Colombia and Brazil for pre-Copa friendlies. What better prep could we possibly get? I feel strongly that the USMNT is ready to play this tournament. Now they "step down" and play Bolivia and Panama. Perfect scheduling.

Mr Martin, kennytt, TrueCrew and 8 others repped this.
  8. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Colombia match was the best possible outcome for this team. They needed knocking off whatever weird high horse they were riding, now they can at least be motivated to not be embarrassed like that again.
    If Berhalter is doing his job, the team will understand they were second best to Brazil as well, though the fight was back.
    I’ll know they’re ready when they ruthlessly dispatch Bolivia. If they don’t do that, I can only believe this team will never be great without the will to dominate.

Mr Martin, TrueCrew, Burr and 5 others repped this.
  9. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Expectations for the crowd tonight? I would guess 40K in Jerryworld's 80K seater. Tickets are much cheaper on resale market than they would be for a Cowboys game. There's just not sufficient demand for a match like this in Dallas to come anywhere near a sellout, expecting a sleepy atmosphere.

10. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The message they should have received is:
    1. You ain't that good
    2. You better bring it for 90 minutes. Stay hungry, stay focused, manage risk.
    3. You better have a specific tactical plan for each match, i.e., we cannot just play an open, attacking 4-3-3 every match.

Burr, metnostar and Yowza repped this.
  11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Bolivia in a nutshell. Our (Bolivia's) best player has retired. Our young talent is not ready. The majority of players are probably not ready for the high intensity international game. We do occasionally move the ball well.

This is a rebuilding year but the projected high ceiling players are all 2004 and younger. Only one of them is deemed ready for the Copa America. Otherwise, the Bolivian League has gained financial strength in the last two decades and the for the first time ever two Bolivian teams have won their Libertadores groups. That said, the league is still notoriously low intensity. The plan for this tournament is simple. Get the players to a higher intensity and work with the players of the current best team, Bolivar.

The only problem for the US is that this group has often not played their best against teams like this (see El Salvador).

TrueCrew, theboogeyman, Bajoro and 2 others repped this.
  12. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4. Individual mistakes against elite teams will be punished ruthlessly. You want to be in the game, you need to play damn near immaculately in defense.

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm not a DC United fan who had two legendary Bolivian players. I'm an FC Dallas / Dallas Burn fan who has a soft spot for Joselito Vaca. We called him Little Joe Cow and watched him grow up.He once did a glory ride on a gator (electric golf cart like vehicle) at a practice and almost drove into a nearby lake. Asked why he said he'd never driven a vehicle. Very skillful but on the smaller side.

Winoman repped this.
  14. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Not sure where Bolivia is practicing exactly, but just watched a Bolivian news show stating the Bolivian team refused to train a day ago due to the conditions of their practice facility. Two days from the game that can't be a good for sign for them, regardless of if they work indoors or do physio work that's going to be a disadvantage for them.

Bajoro, ChrisSSBB and tomásbernal repped this.
  15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of bizarre as there are so many places here to train. Maybe they didn't like the weather. It is hot right now.

Anyone going to the game and tailgate?

16. Master O

Master O BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, due to the creation of CONCACAF's and UEFA's Nations Leagues, the USA is no longer able to get consistent friendlies against European and South American national teams.

These days, the USA is forced to waste its time playing against no-hopers from Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central America, instead of France, Argentina, and other soccer powers (excluding the USA's recent friendlies against Colombia and Brazil).

17. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I agree 100% with the first part (bolded), but I am still a bit worried that they might. I do tend to disagree somewhat about their performances against inferior teams at home. I think often they have not performed as well as they should have but sometimes have been saved by poor finishing (opponent), luck (sometimes), and just an overwhelming talent gap. I believe that at least some of that has to do with youth and a lack of maturity. Hopefully things have improved somewhat and the beating they in the first warmup has likely helped also. If they play as they CAN play, they SHOULD have very little trouble with Bolivia.

18. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they open the upper bowl for this?

I could have sworn they did when I looked at tickets a couple weeks ago.

They look almost entirely gone now. So either those tickets got taken off the market or Dallas is somewhat showing out for this

19. SoccerFanInIA

SoccerFanInIA Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Oct 28, 2021
    I am of the belief that the Gold Cup and Copa should permanently combine and the nations league can take place of the “CONCACAF competition”. No reason to have both of those and traditionally have the Olympic qualifying. That’s basically playing the same teams 3 times per cycle. Put the Copa in and you add more teams to the mix. Wouldn’t even hate the other 3 continents in the Copa for craps and gigs.

Mr Martin and Burr repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not up to us.

Copa America is in the states this time because the CONMEBOL powers want a practice run of WC26.

Burr and Winoman repped this.
  21. SoccerFanInIA

SoccerFanInIA Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Oct 28, 2021
    No I understand that, but if we’re playing the same teams 3 times in a cycle, gotta think CONMEBOL is doing it also. Would think they would value other opponents to play. Would also give more venues and host countries to continue rotating through. Just seems like overkill and like the OP said, it kills our international windows especially when other continents may be playing meaningful games as well during those times. Instead of changing the WC to every 2 years (has been proposed before) find ways to include more continental competitions like these. We’re already inviting others to Gold Cup anyway and they’ve invited us this year so it seems as if both are looking at least.

22. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    The CONMEBOL powers want the $70m that the Fed made from hosting and promoting the 2016 Copa. On that front:

For however inept and corrupt people think the USSF is, almost every other entity in this sport is worse.

theboogeyman repped this.
  23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how many people thought USA - Bolivia would be a sellout in a 90k seat stadium. I'm glad they're trying to fill it instead of playing hardball.

EruditeHobo, Burr, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  24. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    And contrary to what people think, it's very often revenue optimal to have very expensive tickets and then giveaway than try to lower tickets values to the point of high attendance. I have no idea if that's true here, but when basically every sporting event has this pricing model, you're kind of assuming everyone is an idiot, not just CONMEBOL/CONCACAF.

25. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We sucked pretty bad against Jamaica in the CNL semis for sure, but otherwise in the CNL we've taken care of business. WCQ was pretty good at home too. Canada drew us but not sure they were "inferior" in the Ocho. El Salvador gave us fits with the bunkering, that was probably the weakest home game I can recall from the cycle. Other than those though I can't think of a really sub par game by the full A team at home since 2021 CNL win. Gold Cup is a different matter, that's a weaker side.

Regardless, I hope I'm right because I'd really like to see them take care of business tomorrow night. If they struggle against Bolivia that does not bode well.

Mahtzo1 repped this.