Pre-match: USA vs Bolivia. COPA AMERICA 2024. Game 1. June 23. Arlington, TX

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Jun 13, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm not too far off your ideas.
    My criticism:

A) We've been fooling around a lot with the 9 to little effect. I think Gregg would say he felt frustrated about the position in Qatar and things haven't really changed because Sarge has a bad ankle. That's why I suggest just use the Bolivia game (we will win easily) to see what happens wtih Aaronson playing with Wright and Pulisic up top, using Aaronson the way Union used him in BL at the end of the season. HW and CP are our two best finishers.BA will create chances.

B) Right side: I see Pulisic as somebody who gets a lot of foot action in his game on the right side where Gregg uses Weah who is more of a play design/slash runner than an improviser.So we move Weah back to give him that view he needs - as you have done - but I use him in the tweener role by putting Scally - who proved himself a worth 1v1 defender - at the rcb role and Weah as RWB in a 343.

C) Having gone into hiding v. Colombia and Brazil, according to much commentary, look for Wes to go at these Bolivians big time with a hat trick in mind. Do we really need this? I am eager to see the Adams/Cardoso partnership. That means Wes and Gio sit. We don't really need fragile Gio to beat Bolivia, do we?

--------------------BA
    ---------HW-------------CP
    --AR------TA--------JC--------TW
    --------CR------TR-----JS

p.s. I know you're a guy who subscribes to the theory that you don't play 3cb's when cb is your weakest position. I won't go into a full take down of that theory but simply ask at this point, have you considered 3atb in order to get an aerial game in the box? How many headed goals do our forwards have? Yet Berhalter wants to cross the ball. Ok, Pepi had one in UCL but is Pepi the 9 we intend to use as we progress thru tourney?

2. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Brazil game was the best thing that could have happened for Scally. Having him stay back to shore up the CBs is a pretty good option at this point. Plus, the fact that he stays back more often than not means that when does attack, it's less expected and harder to defend. He did very well on that run with Weston that led to Pulisic's almost-goal at around 67'.

3. metnostar

metnostar Member

Jun 28, 2001
    Although I haven’t had a chance to watch them except in the Mexico friendly, it seems safe to say we should beat Bolivia. They aren’t built to bunker against us, given our physical and skill advantage. There’s always a chance we could lay an egg, but this is the worst team in the tournament.
    Panama is a concern though, and we should be concentrating on them, rather than planning on resting players against Uruguay, or day-dreaming about a deep run to the semis or final.
    Panama will be totally focused on beating us. It’s the match that they will feel they must win to advance, against a team they know and always get up for. They will have been planning a tactical setup just for us over the last month of training.
    If they can steal a point against Uruguay in the first match, our backs will be against the wall. Anything but a win will put us in the position of needing to beat Uruguay, or potentially sweat out the goal difference with a tie, if we don’t run up the score on Bolivia, who will probably have given up by the time Panama gets a crack at them.
    Be prepared for a dog fight, CONCACAF style, if we don’t squash Bolivia and score early against Panama.

nfiniti, um_chili, ChrisSSBB and 4 others repped this.
  4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Uruguay doesn't have equivalents.

TrueCrew repped this.
  5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of people want to try Weah at RFB/RWB instead of Scally. Either 3 or 4 in the back.

And many want to try Puli at RW/RWF.

There's an argument to be made for either/both. I just have a hard time pulling the trigger on that in a group state Copa match.

Should have tried it earlier at some point.

Particularly Puli on the right. Why we haven't started him there even once is just dumb.

Mr Martin and Bajoro repped this.
  6. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Is everyone eatching Euros? Feels like this thread is less active than it should be. Based on the highlights -- seemed like Colombia beat Bolivia by transitioning quickly to attack after turnovers. That's instead of creating chances from possession. Unfortunately, that's not something the US seems as dangerous at overall.

Winoman repped this.
  7. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Soccer overload this week.

tomásbernal and gomichigan24 repped this.
  8. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Everyone watching Pepe starting for Portugal at 41 years old?

Mr Martin, TrueCrew and tomásbernal repped this.
  9. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    noted career colaship defender pepe?

10. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a stat in the Athletic today that Bolivia have only won two competitive games away from home in the last 29 years: Ecuador in 2015, and the US at the Copa America in 1995.

FASTEDDIE and TrueCrew repped this.
  11. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So there is hope for Tim Ream yet.

12. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I don’t know where the US ranks via a vis Austria, but I was really impressed with them in their loss yesterday.

13. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's basically true in terms of Panama and the WCQ/GC split. We eviscerated them at home in the last couple WCQ but our GC results have been shaky: draw/penalty loss in 2023, outright loss in the group stage 2011, draw/penalty loss in 3d place game 2015. We did beat them in the elims of the 2011 GC getting revenge for the group stage loss, fwiw.

But what gives me confidence that the WCQ results are more meaningful is that those were the games where we had our full squad, and having the stakes be high seemed to bring out the best in us. By contrast, in the GC it's always been a second-tier group and/or the game was not that consequential (I remember the 3d place game in 2015 was so obviously an indifferent affair that I stopped watching).

14. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Turkey and Georgia looked pretty good now we're at it. Of course, it's about 25 degrees cooler for those games, so they won't ever look the same as the Copa.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  15. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol I'm not as confident in this games start time as I should be I'm in The Mountain timezone. I have understood this game to be at 4 PM (Mountain) for months.

Fox has been doing their normal advertise the time 1 hour early so people watch the pregame show bullshit, which is fine I'm used to it.

Yesterday my buddy texted me asking if it was at 3PM which I told him no, Fox just does that. But I went to US Soccer's Website to confirm, and it weirdly showed an 11 am kick which also confused another poster.

That's since been changed back to 4 PM, but surely enough Fox just aired a promo after The Czech/Portugal game showing a noon kickoff.

I guess we'll see what happens when I turn my TV on at 4 on Sunday

Lloyd Heilbrunn, Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  16. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I just wanna say I am on team no rotation for the first game. Basically, I think you have to come out strong and win the games you are supposed to. And we have dropped points against poor teams when we take our foot off the pedal before, even in competitive games such as qualifiers and we almost let the Jamaica game get away from us in Nations League, needing a lot of luck and overtime heroics. We are not so good to assume wins and the margins have been tight in every competition this team has played in. We could easily struggle to score if Bolivia defends well, and things could easily get dicey. If we were a well-oiled machine and took results against lesser teams like clockwork, we may be right to feel confident and think we can play a less than top 11 and take 3 points in the opener. But I think believing this is the case with this team right now seems a bit of the hubris that likes to crop up from time to time and create problems. I'd think after Columbia we'd be a bit humbled, but you never know. We absolutely should beat Bolivia, but if we treat them as anything but a fully capable team, things could get difficult much sooner than anyone would like. A bit of humility could come in quite handy for a team like the US that is good enough that it should get certain results but not so good they can have off games and expect that to hold up. We come out guns blazing, and we should take all 3 in both of the first two games, but we have seldom swept past opposition liked we "should."

Mr Martin, twoolley, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  17. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001

Excellency, orcrist, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  18. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Argentina-Saudi Arabia

just sayin'

nobody, Mr Martin and Burr repped this.
  19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    As expected.

20. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the page of the US soccer website that had to start time as 1 PM ET, which caused me to post a question here, has changed it to 6 PM ET.

Pathetic incompetence.

Winoman repped this.
  21. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    slight upset in the Sargent v Richards matchup

i'd like to see Adams v Reyna or Pulisic

22. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    probably another nepostism hire of a berhalter cousin

tomásbernal and don Lamb repped this.
  23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

adi21, theboogeyman, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a ticket and Seat Geek shows 5:00 and it's in the Central Time Zone.

25. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Upsets happen and sometimes a favorite is just super unlucky (as Argentina was against Saudi Arabia). And we could have similar bad luck, but it would be a massive disappointment if we lost to Bolivia.