Pre-match: USA vs. Argentina - Copa Semi - 6/21/16

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by John McGuirk, Jun 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    GiallorossiYank repped this.
  2. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really is. Apparently he searches for his name on twitter and tweets at people who criticize him and stuff. Besides all that he is really gifted, his Messi SI feature was amazing this month or was it last

3. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    I disagree with Lalas here. Banshees are great offensively, but play horrible defense. They don't hold their shape and you can run right through them. Then they start shrieking at the ref. ;)

4. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Any chance the p
    Also the current Arg plays a different style than that one. In 2011 they constantly circulated the ball around our penalty area probing for an opening. This Argentina is more of a pressing quick strike team than a suffocating possession team.

Anybody know the ref and how he tends to call games? Could really matter in terms or how physical we can be in defending.

The other day I saw betting odds for a US win at 8-1 and tie at 7-2. I do not think we are that long a shot and if I had the opportuning I would lay down some money at those odds. Especially considering big physical defense first, second, and maybe third teams, are the ones that typically cause them problems.

futbal4eva repped this.
  5. GatorGangB

GatorGangB Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Pensacola, Fl
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My girlfriends 12 year old little brother is a mega soccer fan. He loves Neymar, Messi, De Gea, etc. He wears #10 in soccer because of Messi. When i asked him who is favorite American was, he replied "Don't really have one. I guess Dempsey is alright though." He then asked me who I was rooting for to win Copa... I couldn't understand why he would ask that until he said he is a Brazil & Messi fan. So I made a bet with him:

If the US beats Argentina tomorrow night he has to get rid of the Messi & Brazil shirts and only wear USA jerseys from here on out. So in short.... I need a performance for the ages from the Yanks to help me save this country's youth

6. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    God, Howard has been absolutely lights out against Argentina the last two times we've played them. His performance in 2008 was just as good (though a 19 year old Messi only played the first half in that game).

If I'm Greg Ryan, I'm calling my veteran's together to decide it's a good time for a keeper change.

futbal4eva repped this.
  7. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Anything Lalas says is less than the sum of its parts. What exactly does "Be American" mean in the context of a soccer match? Worthless sloganeering never won a war, an argument or a soccer game.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    to be fair, he also will send a thank you to people who give him props...

9. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'll take that over "attacking mentality, etc" if we're going to talk soccer and bullshit buzzwords.

napper and jackiesdad repped this.
  10. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Kid sounds pretty lame

11. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an Argentino it makes me wanna barf. One or the other at least, not both! :p

12. Dennis324s

Dennis324s Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah! That was awesome! :) I can visualize the heat and taste the dust of the American Southwest in these classic tunes. Wish they'd make a video of our soccer team preparing itself mentally with one of these songs playing in the background. All in slow motion. Focus. Determination. Knowing that the odds are against you and to fights gonna be tough, but getting ready for battle anyway. Get the fans in the proper frame of mind.

Welcome to Texas Amigos. :)

(Of course this is all in fun. I have tons of respect and admiration of the people and teams from Latin America. Wish I spoke Spanish, knew about them and could talk with them more. :) )

13. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the other side of the bet if Argentina wins?...

14. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked the ESPN promos for our team before each game in 2014. Kinda had that vibe you're talking about.

futbal4eva and Dennis324s repped this.
  15. GatorGangB

GatorGangB Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Pensacola, Fl
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to give the kid $20

16. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Initially read this as "my 12 year old girlfriend" and freaked the eff out.

17. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    As much as we all want FJ in midfield- I just can't see Klinsi moving him forward against an offensive juggernaut like Argentina

18. Dennis324s

Dennis324s Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah! Texas blues! Yeah ESPN did some great promos. Makes the whole build up even more intense...and fun. :)

19. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Your XI is the starting group I would would play, with it showing more like a 4-5-1 as you noted. I agree that the US needs to crowd the central midfield, but also have some counter-punching options on the wings. I like getting FJ's and Nagbe's ball skills into midfield. I'm willing to give Besler another game at LB.

However, I think JK is more likely to start Beckerman centrally with Bradley. And I have serious doubts JK will choose this game to give Nagbe his first start -- something that should have been tested months ago already.

The most interesting question for me based on trying to read Klinsi's patterns will be what to do with FJ -- LM, or LB, or RB??? I think JK would be initially inclined to return FJ to LB again and put Besler on the bench. However, with all of Jones, Bedoya, and Wood missing from the front 6, the squad is in a real bind. Zusi seems like a guaranteed starter for Bedoya's spot and, as I've written above, I think JK starts Beckerman for Jones, so that's 2 of the 3 holes filled. FJ seems so logical to fill Wood's missing spot, but I have my doubts, and I don't think Nagbe has earned a starting spot in Klinsi's mind. So who is the 11th starter? Besler or Nagbe? I bet JK goes with Besler at LB, FJ stays at RB, and Yedlin starts at RM. 4-4-2 with Zardes up top.

--------------------Zardes---------------------------
    --------------------------Dempsey------------------
    ---Zusi-------------Bradley-------------Yedlin---
    -------------------Beckerman--------------------
    Besler--------Brooks----Cameron----Johnson
    -----------------------Guzan------------------------

THAT is what I think JK will do. I don't like it, as I don't like Yedlin as a RM starter and I'm worried about Beckermann's lack of speed in that crucial DM role.

dlokteff, ChrisSSBB and matabala repped this.
  20. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    12 year old me wouldn't be friends with him.

21. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    probably employee the hack-a-messi technique. Might even throw the kitchen sink at him.

22. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    #122 beerslinger23, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    Alexi is an asshole. He retweets drudge and gangland crime stats from Chicago for no apparent reason other than being an asshole whether he is trying to highlight the consequences of the drug war or sincerely thinks we need to move to the right as a nation, his ambiguity leads one to wonder. If I wasn't a USA fan, people like him would make me root against the USA.

23. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. Well, the kid has put a lot more on the line than you did. You out-negotiated a 12 year old... :thumbsup: ;) :D

24. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that a lot of you believe that making it to the semis was the real challenge, and that a win in this game would be gravy. I see it as a monumental challenge for JK. This is a game that will tell us and the world what type of strategist he is. All he he has to do is decide how to replace Jones, Bedoya, and Wood, but can he make the right choices? This along with the fact that his choices of who to call in originally will come back to bite him in the butt.

No matter what he does, Argentina is a hard team to beat. I think we have a chance if the players are hyped, playing in their best positions, and JK has a strategy to win. On with the game.

25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it comes to it, Penny(s) are your friend.

GatorGangB repped this.