Pre-match: USA vs. Argentina - Copa Semi - 6/21/16

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by John McGuirk, Jun 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't you say that before the Ecuador game? You are posting JUST to be a negative Nancy. It's very juvenile, and that's harsh towards the young set. Give it a rest.

bsky22 repped this.
  2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Agreed. A bunch of kids wearing Messi jerseys suddenly realize "US Soccer." this has the potential to be a historic day.

3. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Beckermann against Messi? Almost as funny as 7 - 0. (If it didn't make me think about Bradley trying to mark him)

adam tash repped this.
  4. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I like Zardes up top and Johnson in midfield as well. I really have no desire to see Zusi, but I'm sure we will. And if we were planning to play the same way (Bradley deep and Jones more free to attack), then I'd go with Nagbe as well.

5. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's be realistic. We are missing key starters and JK is our coach. Oh, and we also happen to be playing the best team on the planet.

We will lose.

Bajoro repped this.
  6. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he is superstitious. After all, last time he said it we won ;).

[​IMG]

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Can't be any worse than Bedoya at DM vs. Brazil.

ChrisSSBB, russ, tbonepat11 and 2 others repped this.
  8. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know a couple of people have already said this, but I absolutely love the phrase. We are playing with house money.

------------Dempsey-------------
    Pulisic----Nagbe-------Zusi
    -------Bradley-----------------
    --------KBecks---------------
    FJ-BROOKS--CAM---Yedlin
    GUUUUUUUUZAAANNNN

We can surprise here.

Can't believe I'm saying this but Lalas said it best:

juveeer, futbal4eva, jaxonmills and 5 others repped this.
  9. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    It should be a 433 with Dempsey, zardes, Johnson, zusi, nagbe, Bradley, besler, brooks, cam, and Yedlin

Pulsic a 60 min sub

• Argentina plays a 4231 which is bad match up with the 442 - the mid will get over run
    • Argentina plays with a d mid that protects the space that Dempsey likes to find in the hole
    • We played Columbia without giving up a goal via run of play
    • Argentinas week spots are the flanks and a 433 is better suited to attack that
    • The above line up provides the most in game tactical flexibility

futbal4eva, onefineesq, rlrcpa and 2 others repped this.
  10. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Off topic, but damn. Respect.

OGx3, justinpaul10, futbal4eva and 5 others repped this.
  11. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Oh, I can't wait!! No one is talking about Bradley marking Messi. I would think that would be his role if the coaching staff thinks Beckerman is too slow. If Nagbe is NOT a wing midfielder and we want him on the field then we almost have to play a 4-5-1 that can morph into attack as a 4-3-3.

We have had the debate about moving Besler to the bench and keeping FJ at left d, but I think I like FJ moving forward on our left flank. We do need to keep the Argentine wing backs honest on defense, otherwise we are in serious trouble.

I do NOT want Zardes in a playmaker, central role. He needs space to operate.

GO USA --- we will need to play like banshees --- kind of like we did against Portugal in the WC except for the one brain fart late in the game.

futbal4eva repped this.
  12. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll always remember one of the comments on an Argentine site after that game, because they said USA played a great game except for "ese pelado boludo" (that bald dumbass) making a mistake at the end. That's what I call Bradley ever since, lol.

13. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Our best hope is that the 2014 version of Beckerman shows up. He's slow, and will get at least one yellow during the game, but his job when he does it well for the NT is to basically just sit in front of our centerbacks and try to be as much of a pain in the ass as he can until Bradley or one of our defenders can clean things up. If he's expected to play the same role as Jones, then we'll be in trouble, since he despite being the same age as Jones, he just doesn't cover as much of the field as efficiently.

Jones was really really good working the counterattack this tournament, so that may be as bigger loss than his role on defense. Zardes will need to have a monster game if we are going to have any offensive chances.

14. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To those who want someone to "mark" Messi, please go watch the March 2011 1-1 friendly we played. Remember the "friendly" where Messi played 90 and Argentina made only 1 sub (and the US only 2)? One of the hardest-played friendlies I've ever watched, and the US played Messi perfectly- no one ever tried to take the ball away from him. No one ever left their shape. Every time he got the ball, he turned and there were two or three defenders in position. He had to pass. That's how you play him- make him pass back or sideways. No individual heroes on defense- just solid shape and tight discipline. Mexican commentators will hate it.

15. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grant Wahl had a great line about that game.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...pa-america-semifinals-messi-klinsmann-dempsey

"Juan Agudelo's equalizer forced a 1-1 draw at MetLife Stadium–the site of the Copa America Centenario final. One of them will return."

16. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Holy crap this game is tomorrow.

...and we shouldn't lose sight that the game we play after this one will also hold great potential, regardless if it's for 3rd or the cup.

17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Argentina's gameplan should be simple, as it's the same plan that US opponents followed in 2015 to great success.

1. Keep two men glued to Dempsey near the 18.
    2. Overcrowd Bradley on the US half of the field.
    3. Dare another US player to step up.

When Argentina does these things, the question is who will step up?

DHC1, swedust and nowherenova repped this.
  18. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Surely after seeing what Chile did to CONCACAF, Argentina will be very nonchalant about this game.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    this is why I like FJ at outside mid - he can take space on the dribble better than anyone we have. That is the only way to release Demps.

20. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Exactly!! We need everyone to step up -- kind of like the Portugal WC game. That is why our wings will be critical and why I like Fabian up a little bit higher. If Nagbe is the playmaker folks are saying putting him behind Dempsey with FJ on one side and Zarsi on the other should be a good thing.

The think about Beckerman is that he doesn't get rattled on the big stage. He still is not the best distributor and he may not be fast, but he reads the game well and is a great disruptor. He plays 'within himself' - i.e. he doesn't try to do what he can't do.

If we need a goal late, then bring in Pulisic, take out Besler and move FJ back to Left D.

ChrisSSBB and Bajoro repped this.
  21. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're way too motivated to end their drought to do that, IMO. Now if they get up 2-0, they might be nonchalant about that much as they were against Venezuela, though they might have learned their lesson.

22. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is better to get pumped:

Dennis324s and Mt Stone@ repped this.
  23. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anybody going to this game? Lowest ticket I see is $157.

24. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the highlights of that one, we clearly got outchanced and Messi still got some dangerous touches that he couldn't finish. Howard had a big game as well. Our goal came off a set piece where the Argentine GK (Andujar, who isn't on the team now) just couldn't hold on to the ball. Also in 2011 Argentina was a team that was reeling after the disaster of Maradona's so-called coaching, and his replacement Batista was no better, squandering a home field Copa America just a few months later. Not sure how much we can take from that friendly given Argentina's current form.

Just Offside and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yep. That's why Jurgie will go with Rasta, I believe. He knows he will sit in the hole (Klinsi already said he's the guy to go to if we need to mark a "#10") You need a wall behind Messi et al.

Ironbound and CMeszt repped this.