USA vs. African Team

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by WALDO, Dec 23, 2005.

1. WALDO

WALDO Member

Feb 20, 2005
    BURBANK
    I'm pretty sure USA is going to play a team that resembles Ghana. Who should they play?

2. bobo81

bobo81 Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Ciudad De Dios
    Ive seen Ghana play a lil here n there but not enough to know which African teams resembles their playing style.

I doubt US would play a "no one" in Africa so it would most likely be one of the famous names above in the poll. I would choose Cameroon since they are the standing best and fastest. I can see S Africa being played, but I think it wouldnt be as wise.

3. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    Definitely a team that made the world cup.

And definitely NOT Nigeria. I saw them play a friendly at Romania on 11/17 and to say they didn't take it seriously would be the understatement of the year. A couple of days before the game, there were rumors that they may not even be able to get 11 players for the game! :eek: There were even Nigerian college students in Romania who offerred to make up the numbers. It turned out that the rumors were totally unfounded - they arrived at the airport 2 hours before gametime with 12 players (including the GK) and 1 assistant coach. Sounds like fiction, doesn't it?! No wonder Nigeria didn't qualify for the WC with such incompetent leadership.

4. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cameron or ivorycoast

5. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Ivory Coast would be a good bet. They will be preparing for the world cup so they will take the match seriously. Cameroon or Nigeria might send B teams. Tunisia are the African champs but their style of play is a little different. South Africa, the team that Ghana beat to the world cup might not be a bad bet because they are preparing to host the next world cup and need to start building a team but they're not "west African" so I would still go with Ivory Coast.

6. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    i also think we should find a team in the world cup so that they take the match seriously and send their best players... also players heading to the world cup will be less likely to let the game get chippy and commit angry fouls.

we need to get some experience and keep our guys healthy... my picks: ivory coast or tunisia... do either of them have style of play similar to ghana??

7. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ghana's been heralded as playing the best passing, itricate touches, bamboozling style of attack. So Ghana would be a team to play when preparing for Brazil or Argentina. So other than the Cameroon, (who I'd want because I want to see Eto'o) but probably Holland would be a good test IF we could get them to use a lineup MORE attacking than normal.

8. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    holland seems like an inspired choice. i'm a little worried that we won't really get much real preparation from our friendlies with canada and japan. i mean how good are those teams? i wish we could schedule more tough african and european teams...

9. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ivory Coast in April in Denver, Colorado. I think we still have the good mojo from beating Mexico pre world cup. Ohhh and get Mathis in the damn camp.

10. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Ivory Coast would be a good match, but I think it would be better to play an African nation in Europe. African teams do not have the money to get their good players to the US , so if we played them in Europe , there is a World Cup atmosphere, and there is a better chance of the opponent fielding an ''A '' team.
    I think a lot of African teams would be good to play because of their athleticism and their strength.Ghana is a very strong team , and is going to be a very strong opponent come june 22.

11. WALDO

WALDO Member

Feb 20, 2005
    BURBANK
    Question: Have you seen Ghana play? And in your opinion, are they the best team in Africa?

12. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really haven't seen that much of many African teams at all, I know they have amazing speed and strength and have some quality players in their squad.After the African Nations Cup I'll tell you if they are the best. :)