Post-match: USA v Panama

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 27, 2022.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well thats a nice exclamation point on the thing.

Pulisic hattie

If you dont think Zimmerman-Robinson is our centerback pairing if healthy for 2022 you are straight up high.

LDLT probably my MOTM, but Jesus and Arriola's first half performances were divine.

Steffen was clearly drunk today. Lots of wtf moments and surprisingly wasnt punished for them.

Shaq Moore, very sturdy game. Cant complain about that callup now. Bad Jedi showed up today unfortunately.

2. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    THOUGHTS!

1. De La Torre should not only have secured a spot in Qatar; we need to start having the conversation about where/how he consistently factors into the lineup. I'm not nearly reactionary enough to say it's a McKennie for LDLT swap, but there has to be some plan to play LDLT.

2. Steffen was "thank God the Costa Rica match is essentially already secured" shaky tonight. Which brings me to...

3. There is nothing inherently wrong with playing out of the back. It can absolutely be sound strategy. But when A) your players aren't particularly good at it and B) the other team is pressing high ... maybe don't make a concerted effort to reset on your keeper every possession? Looked like some "we're up 10-0 on a youth team and want to show good sportsmanship" soccer...

4. If Antonee Robinson can consistently deliver the quality of crosses he's delivered the last two matches (a real struggle for him to date), it completely changes the potency of the US attack.

5. We're running out of words for the solidness of the Zimmerman and Miles pairing, but man, after so much CB pairing pain over the last 5-6 years ... it's amazing to have those two marshaling the backline. So they struggle to play out of the back. I don't really notice when Walker shuts down airspace every match.

6. I want a broadcast that just has a camera trained on Reyna's face when his teammates screw up his service.

7. A lot of the broadcast PBP stuff is obvious/fluff, but as someone who criticized Pulisic's body language, I really did agree with Stu tonight: the US needs this version of Pulisic The Leader™. Fiery, intense, making it clear the US ain't afraid of anything.

8. It ultimately didn't matter, but that ref (Ivan Barton) sucked, and it's not the first time he's crapped the bed on a widely-broadcast CONCACAF match.

9. Final thought: can't give enough props to Shaq Moore. I think BS actually smartly acknowledged that he may do well in this match because his penchant for crossing meshed well with the likely gameplan, but still, really stepped in in a high-pressure spot and delivered. It's still clearly Dest and Robinson on the outsides, but good to know Yedlin and Moore can step in these high-pressure spots soundly ... even if we do wanna see Scally etc.

3. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    We didn’t play as great as the final score indicated but there were some really good performances there.

Capping off qualifying by getting a result in CRC would be a hell of a way to finish up.

4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great time for Puli's best performance in a NT shirt.

Luca in contention for MOTM for me.

I'm gonna get to watch a USMNT WC match with my son in a matter of months for the first time!!

5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Shaq Moore pulled a hammy.

tomásbernal repped this.
  6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team rose to the occasion and did the damn thing. There's only one thing left to do: go down to Costa Rica and get someone in the press to grill Berhalter about Joe Scally.

7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    All is well, why is GD+5 and not +10 13 vs 3?
    S. Moore can cross but is very bad at give aways and possession. We have to do much better. A.Long not quite there either. Jedi is solid but still want a better player in possession. Glad we found DLT great at pushing all upfield. If we can stay healthy, find some outside back depth and a 9 we can be good.

8. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol what. LDLT was good, but he had some very poor touches too and our CM is extremely crowded. Let’s try to figure out how to play Reyna before LDLT.

9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mayyyybe now we get Scally? :D maybe maybe maybe? lol

10. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Great performance even with a horrible referee. Luca might start pushing Musah for his spot at this rate.

11. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I'll ALWAYS take the goals and the points, but tonight's result is more a reflection of how poor Panama was rather than how GREAT we were in this game.

Godoy should never gave up those 2 idiotic PKs.

jnielsen, Deep Wilcox, Zinkoff and 4 others repped this.
  12. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, we just beat Panama by four goals in the next to last game of WCQ. Orlando is such a great venue! We're not fully qualified for the WC, but the series of things that would have to go wrong to prevent us from getting there is so unlikely as to be totally absurd. We're effectively, if not theoretically, going to the WC!!

--Oops, sorry, that post was from 2017.

ChicagoVT, Jumbalaya, usnroach and 25 others repped this.
  13. LuckofLichaj2

LuckofLichaj2 Member

Oct 14, 2021
    LDLT was great in the final third but our CM was atrocious at progressing the ball through the middle third. If the ball didn’t get to one of the front 3 very early in the buildup it wasn’t going anywhere.

autohag repped this.
  14. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He was incisive in a way too many US midfielders are not. I'm not saying he should start over McKennie or Musah etc. of course but he looks a solve when this team is stuck in a maelstrom of back-passing.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup, not saying start, but absolutely an equation solver off the bench. Hes on my Qatar flight right now

16. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So CR would have to score more than 5 goals to get past the US for the last spot?

17. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love laughers.

Pulisic wormed his face right into the turf.

Luca is smooth on the ball and very important for our immediate depth.

I hope Jedi has Jedi recovery strength.

50/50 Ball and FTGOTC repped this.
  18. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Member

Jun 18, 2002
    ATX
    #17 StormTrooper, Mar 27, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
    Because if Costa Rica beats us 5-0
    They go to +8 and we fall to +8

as corrected by everyone
    basically we have to win draw or lose by 5 or fewer given goals scored

19. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Ref was so undeven, we touch them foul, they foul us nothing. Reyna gets hammered on counter and nothing, I could mention 10 other fouls. We almost got concacafed. Remember both PKs had to be VAR'd. He didn't give them live.

20. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Defense had some mental lapses in the beginning, but we stepped on Panama's throat when we needed to. There was pressure on the team and they stepped up. Kuddos to Greg for giving the armband to Pulisic and challenging him to step up to the challenge. it's obvious Greg believes in his players and they reward him for that.

21. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like a moderator should do something about this post.

bigredfutbol, USOutlaw16, OGx3 and 10 others repped this.
  22. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally, it all came together.

I predicted that if the US could get a couple of early goals, Panama would fold. And that's exactly what happened. LDLT makes such a huge difference in attack. I realize it's a hard midfield to crack, but he's a big asset when trying to play through the middle of the field. Having him is, at worst, a really good option to have off the bench. I like the lineup with Moore being able to combine with LDLT. They complement each other well.

I'd REALLY like to see Gio play a CAM role on Wednesday. I know we haven't officially qualified, but it is awfully close. I want to see what Gio can do on this team playing in central midfield like he does for Dortmund.

23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Nothing is over until it's over. We should learn our lesson.

24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I thought I was good at math.

25. Boomf181818

Boomf181818 Member

United States
    Jan 30, 2022
    As long as we don't lose to Costa Rica 6-0, we're in the WC. For anyone who is nervous for some reason, the last time the United States lost by 6 or more goals in any game was August 21, 1975, when we lost 6-0 to Argentina.

26. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why I don’t understand how an additional outside back was not called in when we have the ability to have more guys in camp.