Post-match: USA v. Panama [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by AEK21, Jun 11, 2011.

1. richmondlaw

richmondlaw Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Edson Buddle is a higher threat to score goals than Jozy? What do you base this on? He scored 3 goals in half a Bundesliga 2 season and has a grand total of 2 goals for the US. Jozy isn't lighting it up either but it's a far cry from saying Buddle is better. And Jozy did score against Canada, whether you want to call it a fluke or not.

The problem isn't Jozy or Edson, the problem is that none of our strikers are very good at the moment.

2. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    Re: Just got back from Raymond James

These are all good points, but they in no way at all support your assertion:

"This is worse than Iran and I don't think it's even close."

Perhaps you could argue that Iran is only slightly worse, or this loss compares, but "not even close"? That is just wrong. The proper response to um_chili would not have been yours an admission that your statement wasn't even close to accurate.

3. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    Actually, I think that you might be the only one who saw the contact since there wasn't any.

4. Trequartista10

Apr 10, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After reviewing the video, as stated previously I was at the stadium last night I was wrong. The penalty was the correct call.

However the foul and yellow card on Jones which lead to the first goal was complete garbage.

All that said, if the US is playing any concacaf opponent on home soil we should be good enough that the ref doesn't matter.

Mea culpa on the commentary on the officials.

5. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be ridiculous. Do you realize that Edson Buddle scored 3 goals in Germany while exhausted after a monster year and in about the same number of games Jozy got 1 goal in Turkey.

Jozy must have been exhausted from scoring 19 goals the year before... oh wait. Jozy has scored 1 goal with Burraspor, 2 goals with Hull and 3 goals with Villareal. It's disgusting that he starts.

6. BicycleKicks

BicycleKicks Member

Mar 19, 2011
    veclub.org
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there are unspoken reasons for the players on the roster and the questionable ones that get called up. I really think that Bob and US Soccer try to select "marketable" players that will increase the fan base and attract a following... at the expense of our results.

7. Trequartista10

Apr 10, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winning is marketable.

8. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly have you seen in his 4 caps, other than him playing for San Jose, which makes you think he deserves to start for this team?:mad:

9. BicycleKicks

BicycleKicks Member

Mar 19, 2011
    veclub.org
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree... and I should clarify, I don't think they would knowingly or willingly sacrifice results just to field "marketable" players, but that seems to be what's happening.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

The Panama game may or may not be a harbinger of some big change in USMNT play, but we have a long history of not being able to beat relatively equal teams in important games. Iran, Ghana, Ghana, Poland, to name 4. Spain and Mexico are the exceptions.

Yesterday's game was disappointing, to my eye, but not tragic, as the game was mostly given up by rash/immature play from a young (in caps) defender, choke finishing from a young (in caps terms) attacker - although Demps and Landon both had chances they sh/could have taken better.

For the most part, the US outplayed Panama in the second half, had tons of possession, good combo play and poor/unlucky finishing (and the Panamania D played a bit out of their minds). That is different to me that the other four WC games, where the US lost and was pretty solidly outplayed. (Ghana at SK being perhaps the lone exception - one could perhaps argue we played them even.)

11. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree. It feels like the worst because its the most recent.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Then this is the worst ever. I didn't realize it was a friendly.

13. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Perhaps this can add to the discussion

United States vs Panama 06/11/2011 game stats

United states had just about twice as many balls into the box (44) as Panama (23), but simply don't know how to turn that into goals. US had 20 giveaways to Panama's 16.

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a stat, from the Tsg article, the USA was offsides 0 times.

15. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What team does Wondolowski play for?

16. Trequartista10

Apr 10, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night he was Panama's best defender.

17. Trequartista10

Apr 10, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Shocking stat, but I can't say I'm really all that shocked. Altidore and Agudelo are always having to receive the ball with their back to goal b/c of the deep central mids in Senior's 4-4-2. Also the lack of any sort of creativity in the middle compounds this. No one is ever making a run where they can potentially get offside b/c the team never has the ball in a position where that run is necessary away from goal. The build up is slow and stale, and allows the opponent to get all 11 players goal side.

18. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to say what a perceptive post... but you're a city fan so it comes as no surprise.

19. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005

This team is being over-coached by a mediocre MLS coach. They always start out bad because they follow his play book right out of the block (the "feeling out" period, the rigid 4-2-2-2, the static players positioning, etc...). Only after they fall behind and no longer follow Bob's play book, that's when they always play much better.

It's time for a new coach, new direction. This team is just really really stale right now.

20. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence

Well that's certainly the most creative explanation I've heard so far.

I guess it's as good as any other I've heard though.

21. LBS8844

LBS8844 Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Panama also through to the Quarterfinals.

22. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How difficult is it to strike a ball driven with pace at knee level? After looking at the positions of Wondo and Dempsey at the time of Wondo's miss, I think Wondolowski should have left the ball for Dempsey. The position of the ball makes it look easier to strike from a standing position and swing through the ball with your foot sideways (similar motion to Dempsey's goal vs Spain, just in the air instead of on the ground). Wondo was on a run and ended up really only having one option, a sidefoot. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to get over the ball.

Frame just as the ball is getting to Wondolowski:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3562/5827876046_88454f1462_o.jpg

23. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ball was behind Dempsey. Wondo trying to leave it for Dempsey instead of taking the shot is probably the only thing he could've done that would've been less impressive than sending it skyward like he did.

24. cs33

cs33 Member

Nov 18, 2009

25. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, I suppose that's probably the case. But if Wondo wasn't in that area, I wonder if Dempsey would have been able to move to the ball for a swing. Collin's goal for KC today was a perfect example of striking a ball in the air at a similar height.