Post-match: USA v Netherlands Round of 16

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Dec 3, 2022.

1. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Ever since I saw him play I wondered why no one ever tried Scally at DM. He has a good defensive mind, is big, aggressive and strong and good at sticking in. He is a decent passer and has decent speed, but is t elite at either. If most coaches want blazing speed in their FBs he will always be doubted by coaches.

majspike repped this.
  2. Kilmer17

Kilmer17 Member

Mar 29, 2001
    It’s on Greg for leaving Jedi out there

3. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Jedi's an ATTACKING left back, who's best asset is speed. Did you want him to sit back and just defend? Garbage take.

QuakeAttack and Marko72 repped this.
  4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The system doesn't help but often our CF's aren't even an option in possession. If goes further than finishing a chance.

RalleeMonkey and Winoman repped this.
  5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    One side was clinical, the other wasn’t. The clinical side planned to sit in, and were able to get away with doing so because they were clinical.

We have a good side. Theirs is a bit better. Management didn’t have a whole lot to do with that. When Gio came on, he was… average.

6. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Right - we had to go all out in all 90 minutes of every group game (more like all 105 minutes, with the crazy stoppage time additions). That makes for a very entertaining group stage, but leaves a team depleted if they're lacking depth.

Namdynamo, RalleeMonkey, Craig P and 4 others repped this.
  7. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I guess what's a little disappointed is that I feel like our team a decade or two ago gave the powerful Germans and Italians a much better fight. Not to mention bringing the golden generation of Belgium into overtime.

Now just watch this Dutch team get destroyed by Argentina in the next round.

matabala, kennytt, Guinho and 1 other person repped this.
  8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The key point is this game was lost when we tied Wales. Beat Wales and we can rest players in the group stage. But then we had to play the same starters every game.

edit - sorry looks like every other poster has made the same point.

Pegasus, Namdynamo, Marko72 and 10 others repped this.
  9. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn’t disagree more. Works absolutely fine with attacking fullbacks (we have those) and a front three that score.

Our issue all tournament long was not having a dangerous striker (until Wright today, he was running behind the defense, won headers, pressed, and had a solid outing) and no real production from the wide attackers (2 goals in 4 games combined)

Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, Aaronson are all worthy starters but none are goal scorers at this level.

So we either need a striker that gets goals or we need Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, and Aaronson to become much more clinical.

If we don’t…we need McKennie or Musah to sit with Tyler and go with a 4-2-3-1. I do think the 4-2-3-1 suits all 4 of our wide attackers better (putting Reyna central) and gives us overall better depth. If we can get Musah and McKennie to play better deeper.

Your idea of the diamond with Reyna on top and then we get two from Pulisic, Weah, and a striker fits our talent in midfield but positions Weah and Pulisic where they are not as effective.

The biggest question will be who has gotten better by 2026 out of Musah, McKennie, Adams, Aaronson, Weah, Pulisic, and Reyna. If I had to guess today I’d guess that Pulisic loses his place and Reyna, Adams, Aaronson, Musah, and Weah are first choice.

russ, DoctorD, gogorath and 1 other person repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #135 IndividualEleven, Dec 3, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    No. Some World Cup finalists were heavy on the subs and rotation. France comes to mind there. Others, like Spain 2010, stuck to a pretty steady lineup through the first 4 matches.

gogorath and Guinho repped this.
  11. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes and that was part of their tactical strategy.

12. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s odd because you were so outspoken against anyone laying any criticism on GB or his game management. Now we see a physical limited match and it’s “even on our best day we might lost” which is a complete deflection.

It’s not so much being clever as throwing your own asinine bias right back at you. And making suggestions to others about how being a “fan” should be a certain way is over the line.

13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see a team like Japan do what they did and I hate this...'oh well the other side was just better mindset.'.

14. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. This was the soundest second round defeat of my lifetime.

15. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    #140 gogorath, Dec 3, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    I think it's likely the other way around. You see the strikers aren't good ... so you adjust. In MLS, Berhalter was considered a striker whisperer -- he took a bunch of mediocre guys and go 18-20 goal seasons out of them. This is kind of like how he played a 4231 for years because he had Pippa Higuain but then dropped it when he didn't.

Striker wasn't our only issue, but Sargent would have helped.

porkrind, Craig P and RossD repped this.
  16. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    having tracked USMNT closely since 79 - our perpetual issue has been strikers.

We need a pool of lethal strikers playing around the world.

We may be clinical when it comes to football and baseball and basketball - but we aren’t (yet) in soccer.

When you bury your chances it changes the whole narrative.

17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    The old maxim about better remaining silent and browned the fool sometimes applies…

RalleeMonkey and WraithXx repped this.
  18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Or GGG could've realized it was counterproductive to high-press an opponent who was both deadly on the finish and not looking to dominate possession.

Namdynamo, RalleeMonkey, acima and 5 others repped this.
  19. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Umm yeah. France has a tad bit more depth then we do on the bench. Just a tad.

Jumbalaya and gogorath repped this.
  20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yes. Although Turner was screaming at him for about five seconds to cover. It happened in slow motion.

21. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    I said "generally the ones" to hedge my bets :).

Spain 2010 is the definition of a team that lets the ball do most of the work. USA 2022, not so much.

russ, majspike and nbarbour repped this.
  22. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. Wright is right up their with the Turkish league strikers that did decently this world cup.

Our system does create chances for a striker as it playa a MMA midfield and has all creativity come from the wings.

RalleeMonkey and IndividualEleven repped this.
  23. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Many of those problems are already addressed….though untimely injuries killed it this cycle (though I’m not entirely confident if guys like Robinson and Richards were fully healthy they would have seen time under Berhalter)

I fear this team will still be ride or die with Adams in four years. The first goal was why that is dangerous. No way that happens in match day one or two. By match day four….not enough left in the tank.

DoctorD repped this.
  24. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have a better side than what we even saw here. Feel free to disagree but I don’t think you do deep down.

25. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    No doubt. It’s not like he was directly involved in every goal we scored….wait.

Namdynamo, rgli13 and Marko72 repped this.