Post-match: USA v Netherlands Round of 16

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Dec 3, 2022.

1. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I hope that whoever is in charge going forward, GB or someone else, (1) we can become as potent on offensive as on defense, (2) (as part of #1) we can exploit our more elite technical players’ ability more fully, (3) we can develop and use our depth to our advantage, which will be more important as the core of this group ages, and (4) we can be more tactically flexible and adaptable in the future. I hope that whoever is in charge (even if it is Gregg) can come to the realization that Reyna’s presence on the pitch is a massive net positive for the team.

Winoman and RefIADad repped this.
  2. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Turner - 8
    Dest - 5
    Zimmerman - 6
    Ream - 5
    Robinson - 5
    Adams - 5
    Musah - 5
    McKennie - 4
    Weah - 6
    Pulisic - 6
    Ferreira - 4
    Reyna - 6
    Aaronson - 5
    Berhalter - 3

nbarbour and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #78 OWN(yewu)ED, Dec 3, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    CBs we got a group
    Richards, miles Robinson, Trusty, Palmer-Brown, McKenzie. I feel good there.

Forward.........scares me. We gotta poach Balogun off you. Sorry

HartwickFan and Guinho repped this.
  4. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I did like our chances going into the game, it was very winnable.

* There's is ZERO reasons for Aaronson and Reyna to sat on the bench so much
    * Clearly the guys were tired
    * Greg has been and is holding this team back
    * At the end, exhaustion and naivety (Greg) doomed us. Dutch has a different level of coaching
    * I feel good about my midfield and forwards going to 2026
    * Need to discover new talents in that backline for next cycle
    * Found our keeper for the next few cycles, I think

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MOTM today? Gotta be Turner. Cant say a field player earned that today.

sakibomb523, pwykes, Winoman and 6 others repped this.
  6. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Hire a Dutch coach thanks

Namdynamo, RalleeMonkey, acima and 3 others repped this.
  7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    #82 gogorath, Dec 3, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Just a short one...
    • The Dutch were better. We met a team that could pass through the pressure.
    • Still, we lost on execution. We haven't converted our chances all tournament and that cost us. But this was the first time we didn't execute defensively, and it cost us. If Adams, Dest and Jedi make simple marking, if Pulisic, Dest, Wright, Ream and others convert shots ... the game is different.
    • Fatigue may have played a role. Who would ever think Tyler Adams would jog as someone he should have been marking scores 10' in? Of all people? Weird thing is we brought more energy in the second half.
    • I watched with a Scot and another American who doesn't really watch the USMNT. And the consensus was simple -- we can't pass, we can't shoot. People hold onto the ball too much. And while these are my talking points, they were unsolicited. Worse today than normal.
    I actually don't think there's that much more than that. Yes, our strikers aren't good. But lots of non-strikers had bad games -- Musah was terrible, Adams missed his mark, Jedi gave up the third goal (although he was overall good) and players like Dest and Pulisic missed their shots.

I love this team but as Matt Turner is saying right now ... this wasn't their best performance. On our best day, the Dutch may still have won. But this wasn't near our best day.

I do love that we didn't quit.

goussoccer, Oranje Agony, FTGOTC and 6 others repped this.
  8. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Played really well. I see a Top 5 league starting job in his future.

kennytt and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  9. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we sold out any chance to advance an inch further than getting to this match in the group stage. its that simple. we didnt have the legs to compete. player rankings today are meaningless.

and its fine. a round of 16 showing is unequivocally a respectable performance. gregg is a very, very good manager at 80% of the game.

but you cant have a great team without any offense at all. i flatly refuse to accept that pulisic, weah, mckennie, pepi, sarge, dike, reyna, aaronson, musah, jedi, dest etc lack the quality/ability to score or even consistently generate real chances.

im grateful for the job hes done, but like our players legs today- gregg has taken us as far as he can.

we need to find someone who can build on the rock solid foundation hes put in place and build a fuller, more well-rounded next story. figuratively and literally.

- proud us supporter

10. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely, the whole faux regional trophy is nice but we have a huge hill to climb for finding friendliest with top opponents. The time is so limited now with these national leagues. Not sure how we figure that out.

acima, Cop Shoot Cop and Guinho repped this.
  11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Puli was wasteful at times.

However, unless I'm blind, he was directly responsible for all three goal contributions in the WC with 1 goal and 2 assists. And his goal got us to the R16.

So we actually need more Puli level players, acknowledging his faults. As without Puli we go 3 and out.

But it's not about "building around". We simply need more high level players.

BTW, his set pieces weren't that poor after the Wales match. Our runs on set pieces were horrendous all tournament.

I mean, get a Puli level striker, someone with BVB/Chelsea level ability and a UCL trophy and that alone makes a huge difference in this team's quality. Even if that player has their own faults as Puli does.

Namdynamo, FTGOTC, neems and 13 others repped this.
  12. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    eh... will disagree slightly. The Dutch didn't win because of spectacular individual talent - they weren't forced to make incredible shots. They won because they had incredible rotation, they knew where their teammates were at all times, and as a team they were just better, defensively and offsensively. Individual talent only gets us so far, and we have that, it's the team play that made the difference. At this point, it's about tactical acumen, which comes down to the coach. Ned had it, we didn't. Full stop.

13. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
  14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Musah had a pretty bad first half as well. A lot of turnovers. Better second half.

Disappointing. Bad execution, fatigue. I'd be happier with a loss where we played our best.

Yowza, nbarbour and adam tash repped this.
  15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Anyone who advocates for the MMA midfield going forward, without putting an attacking midfielder in front of them, doesn't know ********-all about how soccer works.

That includes, and is extremely not limited to, Berhalter.

You can't completely vacate that part of the field and expect success.

Betamax, JAVez1983, Eleven Bravo and 6 others repped this.
  16. Scissorkick Collins

Dec 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To try to keep it positive I want to acknowledge three players that stood out to me.

Tyler Adams, of course. I don’t have anything unique to say after all the positive that’s been said except that I agree with it all. An absolute defensive wizard with the heart of a lion. Even stepped up his passing and is a complete player.

Tim Ream. What a way to make a statement at what is the twilight of his career. Aging like a fine wine, wish he had another 4 years in him.

Matt Turner. Wasn’t as busy as our keepers usually are in the World Cup, which is a good thing, but made several HUGE saves throughout that were crucial to our results. And has clearly worked and willed himself to be good with his feet. I honestly think he is THE US keeper for the foreseeable future.

17. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Needs: Sargent/Pepi/TBD to improve, and Balogun to feel American

1-2 additional good midfielders to improve and mature - Booth? Paxton? Paxten?

1 better Adams alternative

With Ream aging out, need 2-3 of Richards/Miles/McKenzie/EPB to improve and earn spots here

That list is incredibly short vs the post-WC list in basically every past cycle.

goussoccer, Namdynamo, acima and 4 others repped this.
  18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    There are IMO 2 ways to play the US to expose its weaknesses -- and one way not to. The US doesn't look good offensively against a low block and appears defensively vulnerable on counters if the opposition knows what it is doing and has the players to do it. The US IMO also doesn't look great against a high press, with defenders that can cough up the ball under pressure and forwards who aren't typically as clinical. The wrong way to play the US is to employ a medium block, which then allows the US midfield to shine. Unlike Southgate and Queiroz, Van Gal chose to play the using a sensible tactical plan. He had the tools to do it and just needed the bit of luck they had to have an opportunity for an early lead and to make that opportunity count.

To be a full quality side, the US needs the following: 1- as everyone knows, better #9 forwards; 2- better CBs, more comfortable defensively and also with the ball as well as for better distribution from the back 3- some back up d-mid with strong physique to go along with distribution in games you have to be more direct. The US has 4 years to find those and build on what it has going for it right now.

goussoccer, Namdynamo, BrianLBI and 13 others repped this.
  19. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Netherlands simply better in all aspects. Better personnel, better game plan, better execution. We'll be improved come 2026 but how much better when we come up against a top team we'll have to see. But overall a pretty blah performance today. We were never in it once we missed the early gift and we let them get an easy one.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  20. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Good post right here.

21. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Pulisic is a talented player, with well known limitations.

No team in the modern era should be built around a player, this is not basketball.

Just take a look at Argentina and Portugal.

acima and Lance90 repped this.
  22. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Didn't like those Pulisic 20+ yard dribllers to the keeper. Wasteful. Selfish? Trying to hard. Make the right play.

adam tash, LouisZ, Mike03 and 1 other person repped this.
  23. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    The Haji Wright Golazo, though............

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Copa America.

In South America.

With our A team.

Only real opportunity I see given our Confed.

25. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is exactly it. That was 16 years ago, and we still look tactically outclassed at this level. With the leagues our players are in now, this is inexcusable. You can find an excuse when you bring a bunch of MLSers, but our guys play in top leagues now. This is down to coaching.