Post-match: USA v Netherlands Round of 16

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you seriously telling us that this poor finishing is on the coach? He's not out there taking the shots.

tomásbernal repped this.
  2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    As much as any ranking algorithm is bound to produce a certain amount of wonkiness, I'd say that's a pretty fair reflection of our overall WC performance.

gogorath repped this.
  3. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cant disagree harder. look at how much better ccv was than zimmerman. and wright better than ferrreira. and ream better than long. those players werent integrated at all, basically.

gregg just picked the wrong players and rode them for way too long in many cases. arriola led the entire pool in minutes recently. and how many games did long get in the last year or two??? wtf. THAT is on the coach. yes, there were some weird things that happened i.e. covid....but there was PLENTY of time to bring anyone who was the best player...some of the best performers were the ones who barely played before . ccv and ream didnt play a SINGLE game together before qatar. thats on greggg. not the shortness of the window to build a team.

nbarbour and Agenbite repped this.
  4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Endurance definitely peaks a bit later. I think we saw that with Musah. McKennie was probably not being game fit.

zlatan_but_a_car and Marko72 repped this.
  5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Statistically, so does durability. Old guys get injured the most. Young guys get injured second-most.

gogorath repped this.
  6. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the lack of offense is on the coach. the method of attack and the strategy is on the coach.. that players had dead legs in this game is on the coach. not using a playmaker is on the coach. the individual shots themselves are on the players...but everything that leads up to that moment is on the coach. gregg was already fired in sweden for lack of offens.

usa - 3 goals in qatar

usa opponents - 4 goals in qatar.

US was outscored in qatar and had less than a goal a game.....it's on the coach.

pwykes and nbarbour repped this.
  7. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Like I said, lots of good athletes to go around. In my area I see a lot of them playing soccer. I think nationally we have seen that too in the last several years. McKennie picked soccer over football e.g. To me it's more about the infrastructure (coaching) to develp them that will help us catch up.

porkrind repped this.
  8. From what I've been reading about the USA matches was the same conclusion in all matches, the batteries were empty after the 60-65 minutes mark. So, if the remarks were correct, it wasnot due to overusing the players, the players simply went into the tournement without enough energy/stamina to perform after that time mark.

9. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think that’s realistic, but holy hell if he really wanted to I’d slide a blank check across the table and ask him to fill in a fair amount (assuming he’s successfully dealt with his health issues).

acima and Agenbite repped this.
  10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the coach diddnt develop backups and left many viable european based players out in the cold from the roster.....he used spots 15-26 on the roster for "vibes" and idk lifetime acheivement awards or something?!?!?

as constructed, you are right, there was an emptying of batteries....but that there was no plan to deal with that was on the coach. the team could have had better results wihtout draining the players of all energy going into this match 100% sure of that. gregg is a second place "grind it out " coach regardless of who he is coaching, trust me....but it is odd that players like dest mckennie and weah seemed to not be 90 minute players, which did hurt the team.

i can tell you as someone who follows the player pool was too closely...that this roster for qatar was nowehere near close to the strongest possible.

11. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Both Donovan and Dempsey think the need for less coaching. They think guys being coached out of creativity and inituation.

acima, Moishe and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  12. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Do you reeally think we created good chances though? They were clinical, sure, but we ball watched on their goals. Other than Pulisic's early chance, which wasn't a great creation, we really didn't threaten them.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  13. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    From what I remember Gregg has said he gives his opinion on transfers but its ultimately up to the players. He openly criticized Bello, Paredes, and one other person (I think Pepi maybe?) For the timing if the transfers and/or going to teams they wouldn't play for.

But my point was more of the midfielders we brought to the world cup only Luca is a guy that can make line breaking passes. Aaronson and Gio are good passers but they are better passing in transition or quick give and go scenarios. Not for situations we found ourselves in today in the midfield.

14. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I agree with your sentiment. I'll add, find someone else that is not seemingly incapable of connecting with a teammate on a corner. I don't know which player(s) were at fault, but they should have changed it up midway through the England match. What they were doing was never going to work.

15. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    If you incessantly leave your back line exposed to counters, bad things happen.

DoctorD repped this.
  16. They're morons. That applies to kids, not mature soccer players.

17. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    The athlete type that would be nice to see move in to Soccer would be the NFL WRs and DBs. MLB shortstops, center fielders and the like. Basketball athletes but those kids that aren't going to be 6'4+ . yes, there's always the Steph Curry type guys but in today's game it's a very small % that are smaller (meaning under 6'4").

I know OchoCinco is a big soccer fan and he's the perfect type of athlete that could play soccer.

I'm 50 yrs old and in High School one of my friends was very good. had college offers as a sophomore to some of the best Universities for soccer all over the US. He was also involved with US Soccer national teams. But he quit soccer and stuck as a place kicker and got a chance at the NFL. Back in the late 80s early 90s there was no MLS and the odds of a very good american going into europe was slim to none.

It's great that today the MLS academies are helping these young players and they are getting global options to play. it's changed a lot for the better.

In fact, the reason I become such a huge USMNT fan was he was able to get some ticketrs through US Soccer to the world cup in 94. I'm a huge college football fan and attending a game in the cotton bowl was not like any game of soccer I'd ever watched before. It was college football atmosphere x50. Been hooked ever since. I had no idea soccer could be that fun to watch and that intense and the fan experience was amazing. I actually wished instead of football and baseball that I had played soccer. LOL

RalleeMonkey and DoctorD repped this.
  18. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    We don't and didn't. That's like everyone biggest complaint -- we hold back the CM to stop that!

On the second and third goals, players were back in plenty of time and simply ... stopped or missed their mark. On the first goal, Adams is jogging for reasons I don't quite understand.

tomásbernal repped this.
  19. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Brendan and Gregg's system are not a fit at all. Brendan needs space - he's damn good when there is room on the field. But, he's not that great in a crowd. How many times did he get stood up by a defender and have zero to offer? I don't like's Gregg's system of slowwwwww buildup, let the defense get set attacking. But, if you're going to do that, Brenden is not your guy.

JUnionFan and manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  20. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your evaluation of the players destroys your credibility.

Calling BS, Mike03 and tomásbernal repped this.
  21. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    His weak shots might have been a function of his injury. Maybe. Maybe not.

22. cs33

cs33 Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Couple questions:

1. Why don't we ever see Pulisic on the right side with Dest, and Weah/whoever on the left with Jedi? Our wingers never ever switch sides. Why not?

2. Given our complete lack of legit strikers, why didn't we ever see Weah at the #9 and Reyna/Aaronson on the wing? That would at least get out most skilled attacking players on the field together.

acima, nbarbour and adam tash repped this.
  23. fishmonger

fishmonger Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The Dutch are an elite team and unlucky not to have a WC trophy or two. I told my wife as soon as we knew the opponent that it was over, the Dutch have been finalists 3 times, and while I hoped for an upset, I wasn't surprised by the result and neither is anyone else. I also didn't think this US team was good enough to go far and was fortunate to get out of the group. They were never fun to watch IMO, not through this entire qualifying cycle. They DID look better in posession, so I will say that, and hopefully they can build from there. But the lack of ideas in the final third just negated all that nice posession. I'm still rooting for England but in the end, they are England. Wouldn't surprise me to see Holland go far.

DutchFanatic repped this.
  24. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    1. Dest likes to play inverted and so does Pulisic, so they would both be stepping on each others cleats is the conventional wisdom and there is certainly some merit to that line of reasoning. Weah likes to get wide on the wing and so does Jedi so same idea.

2. Good question.

acima, Elninho and manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  25. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CCV wasn't better than Zimmerman. Wright wasn't better than Ferreira (unless you think he had any intent on the most Zardesque goal ever scored). Ream was fantastic, but wasn't unintegrated. I'm sure you were one of the people who, at the beginning of qualifying last year, screamed that he should be gone and never come back. Ream had been one of the guys that "Berhalter will never drop", until he did.

Pegasus, Mike03 and Elninho repped this.