Post-match: USA v Netherlands Round of 16

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Dec 3, 2022.

1. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Very true and very accurate. I highlighted the key points from your comment.

Good luck with the rest of the tournament.

Winoman and Hexa repped this.
  2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    He wants to coach us in 2026.

acima, Excellency, RefIADad and 4 others repped this.
  3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Well... let's not hire a Klinsmann again.

I want our next hire to be an Xs and Os guy who 1) has a good plan to get the most out of this specific core group (good but not terribly creative center mids, good wingers and fullbacks), and 2) can maintain the right amount of competitive balance for spots so that the younger guys coming through and breaking into first teams get the right amount of chances break into our side without upsetting team culture and cohesion, and 3) isn't an asshole who would destroy team culture and cohesion by making it about himself, cutting a guy like Pulisic to make a point...

Pegasus, RalleeMonkey, DoctorD and 4 others repped this.
  4. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
  5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes, and everyone in the world, including Berhalter, saw that coming. But what would you or I or any of us have actually done differently? We needed to be more clinical. Instead, they were clinical. Fair play to them. We're better than we showed, but they're a good side.

Craig P and freisland repped this.
  6. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Probably should have agreed to a more equitable split of the proceeds after the centenario exceeded all financial expectations. Conmebol was pissed that we made out like bandits after they agreed to a pre negotiated cut. Hopefully we can start kissing ass now.

acima, RalleeMonkey, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Berhalter only has one tool in the toolbox.

nbarbour, TheHoustonHoyaFan and matabala repped this.
  8. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes. We are in a very bad situation in that regard, as are Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Senegal, Ghana, Iran, Canada, pretty much every good team in the world outside of UEFA and CONMEBOL.

I don't know how we will organize it, but it behooves us to try to organize something between CONCACAF, AFC, and CAF for 2025. I don't know what. The problem with all three confederations is that they all have a lot of minnows who have a lot of votes that will not want the confederations to organize anything that will benefit the top sides at the financial expense of all those minnows...

9. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Jermaine Jones was better than Adams and McKennie....combined.

Guinho and adam tash repped this.
  10. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Weah brings something nobody else really does on the wing but he has clear weaknesses. Ideally he's a super sub going forward. People bitch about Pulisic's work rate on defense but Weah does much less and if he's not running by someone to the touchline he's not helping in possession either.

That said, he has a shot on him and is direct. Those are great qualities.

DoctorD, Agenbite and JUnionFan repped this.
  11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is a bit of both -- poor finishing AND the central midfield not creating much. On the latter, I have been screaming about that with the MMA midfield since September ... of LAST year! But I was told I was wrong. Nope. Still right.

nbarbour repped this.
  12. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    lol. maybe when he was 25, not the version we got. Not even close.

AmeriBrazil and adam tash repped this.
  13. fishmonger

fishmonger Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I actually meant that international hockey isn't close in terms of numbers of players and fans the world over compared to basketball. As for your other points, it's very clear the NBA will be mining other countries for talent. I'm just not crazy about the sport. One sport I think we do lose some real potential soccer players to is track and field; when you're that fast you don't need mad skills. And we've got speedsters in bucket loads.

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  14. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed he faded so much that second game.

15. fishmonger

fishmonger Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Jones could fire a cracker into the net from distance. I haven't seen anyone on this current team do that.

porkrind repped this.
  16. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I expected this.

I don't anticipate a firing, but more like a statement of resignation from 3G within a week or 2 stating something along the line of

"It has been an incredible honor and privilege to lead the USMNT these past four years. But, now is the right time for me to take a break from International futbol and spend more time with my family"

Winoman repped this.
  17. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Correct, but England didn’t exploit his forward progression the way Van Dam did.

Let him get up high, forwards pull CBs out wide, center opens up, on turn over pull Adams to vacant Dest spot while dest is sprinting back, play central, cut back/play top corner of box to open dutchy while dest is still trying to get position and winded.

Our schtick work great the first three times, Van Dam karate kicked that shit outta the water and landed in the spilts with both feet on the heads of our full/wing backs.

What I meant by Dest is a wingback not a fullback is just this, he is played like a wingback but we needed a fullback (as directed by The Gregggster presumably)

autohag repped this.
  18. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    The only issue with this is were is this going to be held? UEFA's NL will be played in Europe (always); C'bol gave up the right (or ambition) to host it to make this a reality. The best C'bol players lives in Europe already so it works for most of C'bol teams. But combining Asia, Afria and NA will be logistic challenge.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  19. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    He did an honorable job. Wasn't a perfect job but he held his own. I'm not a fan of the guy but he can walk away with his head held high and perhaps he let us walk again so our next cycle can run.

20. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Just like Pulisic was in 2018.

GIo will be a very focused and determined player in 4 years.

21. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Neither Adams or McKennie could hold Jones' boots, even past his prime.

22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Wha....? No. Just no. No way, no how.

23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

To be fair, 3G was never known for in-game adjustment.

Van Gaal is in a completely different class. Can't compare the two.

nbarbour and IndividualEleven repped this.
  24. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hindsight is 20/20, of course.

I agree that high pressure seemed like the right way to play. The Netherlands struggled to play the ball through high pressure against both Ecuador and Senegal, and even had some bad giveaways in their own half against Qatar. There was every indication before the game that they would cough up the ball when pressed.

Pegasus, Winoman and Hexa repped this.
  25. Greg didnot pay attention when he was coached by Louis van Gaal at Sparta Rotterdam.