Post-match: USA v Netherlands Round of 16

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Dec 3, 2022.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players gave it their all. Experience will help.

Roster selection, lack of player rotation and lineups definitely hurt us.

For 2026 we really need a new set of CB's, an ACM and a striker.

And I hope people see drawing conclusions from competitions like the GC doesn't matter. The entire cycle needs to be focused around how we stack up against top 10 sides. The expectations during the cycle need to increase.

2. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boo! They played to their seed.

3. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LVG gave them a good game plan, we made three mental errors defensively, they were clinical.

We also were definitely tired some.

It didn’t matter but Wright was much better today, ran behind, pressed, even got a goal.

Core of the team is good and going to be around next time. Turner was outstanding today…Dest was great until the lack of tracking…

Reyna was Jesus Ferreira for about 10 minutes and then started making plays like everybody thought.

Meets expectations cup, the search for center backs starts for 2026, and all eyes on Pepi, Wright, and Sargeant to see who can grow into the player we need.

Zinkoff and comoesa repped this.
  4. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if players 12 through 26 are much, much better.

5. Kilmer17

Kilmer17 Member

Mar 29, 2001
    This game was lost when Greg was chosen as coach, left as coach, and allowed to choose the squad and player rotations.

Namdynamo, Zinkoff, mette72 and 5 others repped this.
  6. WraithXx

WraithXx Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JP Dellacamara and Rebecca Lowe as assistants

Guinho repped this.
  7. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were pretty naive, tactically, I thought. Reminded me of Czech Republic in 2006.

8. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not one of these commentators is recognizing that fatigue impacts attention and things like tracking and decision making.

The players know they need to track back. But they were drained.

bct81, Cristobal, Namdynamo and 22 others repped this.
  9. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Some ok stuff, but never a serious enough threat.

Complete impotence in the final third is not going to take this team any further. If that’s a goal, then the team has to change.

Team was tired mentally and physically and it showed.

Players and coach didn’t have a good sense of the game state and the situation. That killed them.

I’m glad they got through the group stage, but they aren’t going further with Gregg. This is the ceiling for his style. Maybe that’s enough, but this team loses in the R16 every time, right?

RalleeMonkey, Zinkoff, acima and 3 others repped this.
  10. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greg was outcoached

Dutch played rope a dope

Dutch were clinical (Adams and Dest made crucial mistakes)

we did not score more than one goal when it mattered

midfield was gassed from the games before

poor rotation by Greg in games before and that hurt us

Dutch were better but we could have done better

so what will USSF do next

we MUST be able to score more goals from the chances we have and generating better chances

second half we just did not know how to break the Dutch down

Fair play and good luck to the Dutch

11. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    As much as I can’t stand Lalas…his comments about being ruthless were on point.

Guinho repped this.
  12. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Fatigue plus our players simply looking a bit naive and outclassed by a legit team. We’re still missing some big moment composure, but that’s understandable given the age and inexperience. Yes, we have some impressive club pedigree compared to previous generations, but the World Cup knockouts are a unique and highly elevated challenge in their own right.

13. Agenbite

Agenbite Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Post Game Bullet Pointed Rant

1. Wrong lineup.
    2. Some wrong subs but not as wrong as previous games.
    3. Reyna. Just saying.
    4. Does someone really need World Cup experience not to repeatedly leave a man wide open far side post?
    5. Can Alexi please finally admit it's okay to trash Berhalter? At least today?
    6. Next cycle semis. Calling it now. Set a remind me folks.

HartwickFan, Zinkoff, JAVez1983 and 2 others repped this.
  14. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to stop building the team around Pulisic. Yes he should be included, but his production is that of a normal World Cup standard MF, not a superstar. And his set pieces are awful.

Still pissed at his two slow grounders right at the keeper. Compare that to the Dutch MFs shots.

slacker, Geneva, FTGOTC and 9 others repped this.
  15. TrustingtheProcess

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 11, 2021
    Philadelphia, USA
    Disappointed.

I thought Berhalter was good for the program changing the culture after Couva, but I think he has brought us as far as he's going to.

So naïve, and the subs needed to be more proactive.

onefineesq, Zinkoff, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  16. WraithXx

WraithXx Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you guys think we should hire Brad Bobley or Aruce Brena as manaja

17. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Young team + fatigue and the Dutch punished us on all three if their big chances.
    1) against run of play
    2) right before halftime
    3) miscommunication poor marking at the back post

We had our chances too but weren't clinical.

18. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I forgot to mention Ferreira. I feel bad for us and for him that he played. I even argued that if we didn't start Reyna, well, might as well throw him out there because we wouldn't win any crosses anyway and would have to dribble through them to have a chance but he was SO SO SO RUSTY. Being off since October did not help, but man, he played a role with a give away in one of their goals and did not have a quality touch until we were already down, and that one touch (a good one) was I think his only decent play in the half. This was one of those performances, like Clark against Ghana 12 years ago, where he should've been pulled off after 20 minutes and Wright should've been brought in. It was that bad. He'll be back, but we wont be this cycle.

Zinkoff, PB18 and Agenbite repped this.
  19. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    #43 FC Tallavana, Dec 3, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Gregg couldn’t answer that question so he just said the guys fight for each other and we made progress. That’s what we get. Guys that fight for each other and make some sort of progress that cannot be identified by the manager.

20. honest trade

honest trade Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More talent, same result. Frustrating.

Namdynamo, HartwickFan, Zinkoff and 7 others repped this.
  21. Pickles

Pickles Member

Jun 4, 2014
    * Team picked a very bad time to hustle selectively. All three Dutch goals were contributed to by US players switching off - Adams / Musah, Dest, and Robinson, respectively.

* Fitness and form were surprisingly significant issues. It's all well and good that players can earn big paychecks at Chelsea, Juventus, and Milan, to share some examples, but if they aren't getting big minutes, I'm not sure what it does for the national team. For the sake of the USMNT, it's more important to get a consistent starting role at whatever level.

* I disagree with the idea that this group will mature and learn from this. You either get it or you don't. We don't get to start the 2026 World Cup at the knockout stage.

* Gaping hole at striker. Now taking applications.

* Just not enough depth. We're not there now and it's going to take a while to get there. Multiple players just not trusted enough to put on the field.

* Thanks to our defensive lapses, Dutch played that game in second gear. Wouldn't be surprised if the Dutch make the semis. A team that can play defense and play smart can go far in the World Cup.

QuakeAttack, pwykes, Zinkoff and 2 others repped this.
  22. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stream of thought: Baffling to start Jesus. Reyna and Aarosnon should have started at least one group stage game. Scally should have been used. Wright and Sargent did about as well expected (1 goal between them). Pulisic did as well as you can expect him too. Absolutely should have taken Pepi if you were going to resort to starting a way out of form Jesus in a knockout round. Please get a new coach who attempts to play to our players strengths and opponents tactics instead of a iron clad system. Also just because we have a midfield trio who can run all day does not mean that should be our main mode of operations. That should be selectively used based on the game state. Oh, and I hope some coach demadn that Weah plays as a forward. He's wasting potential out there on the wing. He has the sharpest off the ball movement currently in the pool at forward.

Namdynamo, CU soccer, pwykes and 7 others repped this.
  23. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curtin, Marsh?

24. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Wow, some of you guys are acting like spoiled brats. Grow up.
    Round of 16 is a disappointment? You're delusional.
    The coach was "embarrassed" by the other coach? Why? Because we lost? Because a damn good Dutch team beat us? We battled till the end, and we had as many shots as they did. We had 2 great chances in the first half we didn't finish.
    If anyone should be "embarrassed" it should be LvG for "letting" HW score on him.
    Some of you need to grow up.

QuakeAttack, bbbmmmlll, lmorin and 14 others repped this.
  25. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    This is true. To advance a long way in this tournament, I think we need so much more talent that we can be in second gear in the group stage. We ran ourselves into the ground just to make it this far.

acima and adam tash repped this.
  26. Scissorkick Collins

Dec 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with everything but want to emphasize this. Such a frustration that we have been so consistently bad in this aspect for so long, and if anything were even worse than usual this tournament. I mean we just did nothing with corners and close to nothing with free kicks. Even on the occasion there was a good ball played into a dangerous spot there wasn’t anyone there to challenge, like ever. How the hell do we bring in a “corner kick expert” and look that….. hapless?

WraithXx and GoBigBlue88 repped this.