Post-match: USA v Netherlands Round of 16

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Dec 3, 2022.

1. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Dude, the Dutch game was a traditional Italian masterpiece. I’m not going to say they’re a great team, because we aren’t that great, but they executed their game plan perfectly.

they knew we had the better midfield, so they got behind the ball and defended. And they have good defenders, so it shouldn’t be surprising that we got some decent chances, but not many very good ones. And their first two goals were absolutely well executed. When you get an open attempt in the middle of the box against a pretty good defense, you’ve done enough things well to say that it wasn’t a fluke.

we definitely have the better midfield, but they perfectly executed the best workaround for that. Had we scored first, I think the game would’ve turned out very differently, but such is life. I think the Dutch are capable of beating Argentina, much like we were, but I don’t think they will.

acima, nbarbour, ShayG and 7 others repped this.
  2. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Donovan is right in talking about how our young team played with naïveté. One take I have from how this match went is that I wish we had the ability to play top level teams more often. We don’t have the chance to play clinical teams very often—the type of teams that really punish you when turning the switch off from responsibilities even for one moment. The advent of the Nations League has not helped us in that regard. Let this match be a big lesson to these players—I just wish we had more of them.

I hope that the federation can find a smart way to challenge this team next cycle, especially given that we will not have the challenge of qualifying on the schedule.

GoalGoalUSA and porkrind repped this.
  3. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I'd agree they were beatable. We definitely beat ourselves by ball watching on all three goals. I also think the Dutch gameplan was to make us try and beat them in the final third, having confidence we couldn't. That and make Ream/ Zimmerman our playmakers and shut down MMA. I don't think Wales or Iran would've done much, if any, better. And I definitely don't think the Dutch were the worst team we've played so far.

nbarbour, GoalGoalUSA, GreedyG and 3 others repped this.
  4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, this is just my opinion, but i still believe it was more of a matter of us beating ourselves than it was the Dutch showing us that they were a superior team to us.

I was remarkably unimpressed by them.

5. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    We don't really have those players, at least not consistently and across the 11.

Our team is very good at dribbling, but it's not the most skilled at passing or one touch passing. And we're learning tactically as a nation in terms of awareness.

We have some games where our touch is there, but others where it isn't. We certainly are not a quick pass team on a player or team level, and our passing vision is meh. We hold the ball too long and try to dribble too much.

We're capable of it, but not consistently.

It's one of several next steps.

6. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing quality opponents the next 3.5 years is SO key without having to qualify. Hopefully, another pandemic doesn’t shut down the world, limiting US chances to play tougher opponents.

Also, do all 3 hosts in 2026 get seeded in Pot 1?

Pegasus repped this.
  7. munovalente

munovalente Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    United States
    Mar 29, 2021
    Going forward would really like to see more line ups where Reyna, Pulisic and Aaronson all play at the same time. Would require sitting other talented players, but I feel like they could combine and interchange and create well together even against fairly packed defenses and still put in enough effort to press and help defend.

8. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly this… I was thinking the same thing. Technique and execution is a step beyond us.

9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again. I think this is giving them more credit than they deserve, and we do so because of their name than what this team is. Don’t get me wrong. Credit them for taking advantage of their chances. Blame us for not doing so. But again, I’d say this loss had more to do with us coming out flat rather than we came against this behemoth that’s just clearly a better team than us. Sometimes, they lesser team wins on the night because of that.

10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey had it right. We need more games against quality competition to get this team ready for 2026. USSF needs to step up and help us with this one.

11. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Gakpo was pretty invisible. But as you posted, shut down Gakpo…there’s still more quality in that Dutch team than just the one guy.

12. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Very true. I guess my point is that we have individuals who are skilled technically, but they haven't as a team been drilled in the arts of unlocking a defense with 1-touch passing. I'm pulling this back to coaching, because we're lacking something in positioning.

This isn't 2006 anymore where most of our guys have donkey touches. Most of our players have to play at a high level for clubs where they need to control the ball in tight spaces.

autohag and nbarbour repped this.
  13. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Just stop responding because this thread could be you responding the same thing to 100 different posters over and over. You're on an island.

acima repped this.
  14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude. You say what you will. I’ll say what I will.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  15. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our best player in the tournament, a midfielder, switched off for the other of the three.

16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yep. Here's some basic steps:
    1. Secure invite to Copa America 2024.
    2. UEFA Qualifying. (Qatar did. Just roll out the cash. Or whatever it takes.)
    3. If schedules work, change Gold Cup 2025 to be a smaller Copa America Centenario.
    4. (Much less important) - Strong team at Paris 2024 though behind Copa.

17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if there’s any chance to combine CONCACAF and CONMEBOL Nation’s League.

autohag, RalleeMonkey and gogorath repped this.
  18. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This debate highlights my point. What kind of comparison is 28 yo Donovan at his third cup to 24 yo Pulisic at his first?

porkrind repped this.
  19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think I heard that multiple CONMEBOL teams are playing in UEFA Nations League, so for at least one nations league cycle, maybe not.

But maybe the other if it isn't renewed?

20. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I thought I heard CONMEBOL is/was trying to combine with UEFA, which would be brutal for us.

21. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These eliminations never get easier. Love our team, love this country. Bright future.

Hurts

RalleeMonkey, smokarz, GreedyG and 5 others repped this.
  22. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Breath of fresh air sensible post…

gogorath repped this.
  23. fishmonger

fishmonger Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    There's always gotta be one or two exceptions, but even Edison and Gandhi's kids didn't live up to them.....Napoleon's nephew maybe....

24. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It is easy to draw too many conclusions from just one game, so I'll just say that time will tell. I think they showed more than folks give them credit for, but we shall say. The proof is in the proverbial pudding, as it were.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did you hear that?