Post-match: USA v Netherlands Round of 16

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Dec 3, 2022.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we ever wanted to know what Barcelona looked like if it was coached by Steve Bruce, now we know.

Gregg completely outcoached today. Van Gaal had a plan and the Dutch executed clinically.

Players were tired.

Whoever our next coach is, 50 percent of our training needs to be corner kicks and set pieces.

One of our more enjoyable rides, but new regime necessary and its abundantly obvious. You cant make a case to keep Gregg after this cycle.

2. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    A couple thoughts...

1. I do think we have to acknowledge the US were incredibly unlucky in scoring opportunities. That's not to say the Dutch weren't better; they clearly are/were. But it's unlucky that neither Pulisic's 2' shot nor Ream's steerage off the flick-on found the back of net. I do feel that context matters in how we discuss the match.

(Although the likely-accurate takeaway is: Dutch finished their high % chances, US did not. I'm just arguing that chance creation matters / chances were there.)

2. Tactically, I thought this was the match US/Berhalter finally paid for not being honest about the #9 position. Sargent's form notwithstanding, it's clearly been the case that the US have not had a useful #9 for some time. Berhalter has never been honest about that and always justified profile even when results aren't there. Well, Ferreira finally put in a #9 performance -- at this stage, with these stakes, against this opponent -- that was actively harmful. You have to be tactically inventive and flexible at this stage. Berhalter wasn't, and instead of trying something different at the 9, or a false 9, Berhalter opted for a liability 9.

3. But the nail in Berhalter's coffin is likely the lack of any idea in the final third, going back to ... who knows when? McKennie has been the only consistent force in the box for USMNT in this WC cycle, and clearly didn't have his legs this tournament. Rather than adjust to that, try some short corners, get some movement on free kicks ... it was always a prayer into bodies.

(Biggest issue is still the cross conversion rate. It feels like zero. Which is tied to the #9 problem of course.)

4. I already respected Musah heading into this tournament, but my appreciation grew 1,000x these past few matches. My goodness, he covered ground and played his heart out. Still clearly learning when he can get away with what, but you'll take his effort and intent every match.

5. Any time US were begged to play long diagonals or skip lines with their center backs, they struggled (moreso with Zim hitting the ball than Ream, of course.) The program is going to have to address this, lest every opponent take the midfield out of the match going forward.

3. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LVG just absolutely tearing us up before the match even started. MMA showed their awesome potential but left early overworked. Look forward to next cycle and finding another level.

Namdynamo, FTGOTC, sakibomb523 and 8 others repped this.
  5. Rezelby

Rezelby Member

Aug 1, 2010
    The. best news of today is that the era of soccer terrorism that was the Berhalter era is over. Let's pull out the checkbook and get a real manager in here

Namdynamo, CU soccer, Zinkoff and 4 others repped this.
  6. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    This Reyna fella looks useful.

Burr, Namdynamo, sakibomb523 and 29 others repped this.
  7. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proud of our guys. They had about the tournament you would expect from a talented, but young and naive team. Today they came up against a clinical side who punished their mental lapses. You can get away with losing a mark against Guatemala or Grenada, but this is the big leagues. They'll learn from this and grow.

There will be a lot of hand-wringing about could've and should've, but realistically this was about the type of outcome you would've expected going into the tournament. Play tough, compete well in the group, and eventually go out to a slightly more professional and experienced side. We could've done more, but it's an acceptable run that gives us a nice platform to 2026.

USAsoccer4life, Burr, Namdynamo and 21 others repped this.
  8. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic, Reyna, Weston, even Musah seemed less than 80% out there.

This whole team seems full of 60 minute players. Need to get them to be capable 90 minute guys like Adams.

New coach please. Gregg gets a c+/b- for me but I. Think you do a new coach every cycle unless you get and A performance.

Definitely a decent performance. Not like Belgium at all.

onefineesq, Bajoro, Zinkoff and 18 others repped this.
  9. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    Our fullbacks switched off twice. That's the difference.

Pegasus, Zinkoff, Betamax and 4 others repped this.
  10. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol

Zinkoff, kennytt and Agenbite repped this.
  11. WraithXx

WraithXx Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can hold their heads up high. Proud of our young team.

Four years to find a forward and be more aggressive in and around the box instead of trying to pass it into the net or to anyone other than the net smfh

Also, Bruce Arena to take over as lifetime interim manager

12. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Well it was fun while it lasted. Overall there is so much to say and so much to think about, and I'm already excited for 2023 and the start of the slow, long march to 2026.

There will be a lot said and a lot to say in the next few months. But it's still early and I intend to fully enjoy my Saturday. I'll just leave my few thoughts.

Cutting through all the biases and angry and crap posting, I'd say overall we played mostly good and getting out of the group without a loss and without giving up an open play goal was good, maybe even very good.

Some elements of our game and style elevated themselves and we had a couple of really good moments.

However, at the end we were reminded me still have a ways to go, and what our limitations our and what we should aim for over the next 4 years.

To get a head start on the next cycle and what I would like to see the most: Please please please adapt a formation that plays with a 10. We have two 10s who play in the best leagues in the world, we absolutely should be using them more.

ChrisSSBB, BrianLBI, Zinkoff and 6 others repped this.
  13. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to blame the players for having been run into the ground or for the roster composition.

14. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Guys fought hard and were unlucky not to score (story of our life)

Unfortunately all 3 goals came from players just not paying attention

Oranje Agony, FTGOTC, aarond23 and 8 others repped this.
  15. WraithXx

WraithXx Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob Bradley to take over as manager with Bruce Arena as his assistant

Call up Connor Casey and Carlos Bocanegra and let's get this next cycle going

MPNumber9 and PB18 repped this.
  16. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team can be really dangerous in four years.

Just need a coach to match the group. Berhalter was embarrassed tactically by LVG today.

17. Scissorkick Collins

Dec 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frustrating and disappointing day. We looked tired and beat up, leading to some defensive breakdowns and lots of cheap give aways. And, as often, we just could not find a way to finish chances, including 3 golden opportunities.

That said, it was exciting and hats off to the team. They played their asses off and kept it exciting till the end.

18. redondos

redondos Member

AC Milan
    United States
    Nov 16, 2022
    "Dead legs equal dead dreams."
    -Socrates
    (The Brazilian)

19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In like a bobcat, out like a lamb. In the end, the tourney was mediocre. We've advanced from our group every WC outside Europe in the modern era. So by itself, that's the minimum. Then I'd say in 3 of the other 4 round of 16 matches we've given the opponent more of a game. This was closest to Belgium in '14. I think this was pretty reminiscent of the tenure.

The MMA midfield tired out from over-use. Could have rotated more in the group stage. It's robbing from Peter to pay Paul.

I wonder how tired legs and minds of the fb's led to all their mistakes throughout the game. It was also youthful naivety. We lack some depth in the pool. But mistakes in scouting were made at the margins to not integrate better. And I wouldn't call Pepi a mistake at the margin. He was the best 9 in qualifying, who got back in form, so his exclusion was puzzling. And it cost us. Don't think it would have made the difference in this one. But all we got from all our CF's in 4 games, starters and subs, was a fluky goal and 1 solid game in hold-up.

Zinkoff, Winoman, JAVez1983 and 5 others repped this.
  20. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Soccer ... perennial disappointments

matabala repped this.
  21. cobijones

cobijones Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Club:
    Alicante CF
    Your 2026 USA men’s soccer coach:

Alexi Lalas

majspike and WraithXx repped this.
  22. WraithXx

WraithXx Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I think once we get Brad Bobley back we're going to be dangerous

mbar repped this.
  23. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really smart from Netherlands. They saw how England made Zim have to make incisive passes. Really organized defensively.
    I would say, for all Stu’s talk about finishing chances, Netherlands chances were much much easier than ours. It speaks to the clean build up more than the finishing. And the tight marking from them versus us. Not so much the actual finishing.
    Underwhelming tournament for me from Brenden and Musah. They were ok but not really enough.

RalleeMonkey and adam tash repped this.
  24. MUFC20

MUFC20 Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Netherlands are just a better team overall. And have a better coach. USA played well and had chances though. The defense fell asleep on two goals and you can’t make those mistakes against a good team. Overall a decent World Cup for a young team that can look forward to the 26’

Cristobal, FTGOTC, HartwickFan and 9 others repped this.
  25. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Such a weird game. Ignore the result piece, and it felt like it was unlike any other performance since last summer against Morocco and Uruguay.

The US Attack actually generated chances, a ton of them, the attack kinda worked.

MMA largely stunk when it mattered in the first half. Not effective.

The defending was naive and at times borderline stupid.

The Dutch were so ----ing clinical w/their chances it was absurd. They had what, five chances and finished 3, including their first two. We outshot them 16-12, and tied them on frame shots 6-6. We were just unlucky and they were quite clinical with finishing AND they're defending was excellent, their size much better, and ours was NOT.

And as one of the opening posters mentioned, it was obvious MMA was tired other than Musah. And it showed. Normally those Dutch chances would have had Adams in there, McKennie too and Musah in there, but we were a disorganized mess in the back on counters and they put their passes on point and their finishes perfectly.

Weird game, felt like the attack was up for it, but not much else. Not the engine, not the defense (I think Musah was the only piece of MMA that played well today).

Bajoro, Zinkoff, jeffmefun and 5 others repped this.
  26. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why can't we just have our 11 best players on the field at the same time?

Fussballer, CU soccer, Bajoro and 9 others repped this.