Pre-match: USA v Netherlands Round of 16 12/3 10 am ET

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Nov 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be careful. You’re treading on keyboard warrior territory on the US boards by suggesting anything about game management or burnout.

It’s a real thing and glad you stated it because some of these threads get so wordy with people just trying to be right. And also promoting Matt Doyle as well.

The use of subs has not been great. I have concerns about Musah. Rewatched the game and his fatigue is not just a “sleep it off” because you’re 20. He completely lost good running form midway through the second half. Not the only one either.

Hope Berhalter continues to play his cards “right” from here on out, because the subs have barely gotten consistent minutes and the players that have talent to help aren’t playing.

Dander repped this.
  2. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I am no longer concerned about Argentina. They may not even make it that deep and no guarantees and old Messi has all those minutes in him or can avoid injury between now and then. If we can hold England 0-0, we can get a result against Argentina. If we keep playing MMA into the ground, then we will be forced to bunker/counter our way out of the event.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Some version of this post has preceded each of the last two matches.

4. eagercolin

eagercolin Member

Metro
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Buffalo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn straight! Seize the gravy!

HartwickFan, RossD and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    In terms of scheduling and player rotation, this is the critical match. The scheduling lightens up significantly for the winners in the two Saturday matches with 6 days off before the quarterfinal.

This may have to be the match that Berhalter has to find the magic formula with subs.

6. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as it only requires magic, we should be in good shape.

7. fishmonger

fishmonger Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The game against Poland was almost disgraceful. Poland didn't want to come forward and once Argentina were up by 2 they just passed the ball around. Most have driven Mexico crazy, who were a little bit unlucky. But, it's Mexico, so....

8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. Our subs are going to have to step up if we want to go further than playing the Netherlands.

9. fishmonger

fishmonger Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I wouldn't want to go to PKs with the Dutch. They are likely to be far better at finishing, I could see our guys missing several.

gogorath, tomásbernal and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  10. belyin

belyin Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Just maybe Canelo Alvarez shouldn't have threatened Messi; can't imagine Argentina were super motivated to help Mexico out.

MayaDempsey and gogorath repped this.
  11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who’s rewatching all the Netherlands games as though you wish you could help come up with some winning strategy to get past them?

...My wife just asked me, “haven’t you already watched this game?” Lol. I just told her it’s the World Cup. You’ve got to expect a little weirdness for a few weeks.

12. belyin

belyin Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Argentina probably expended at most half the energy the USA did in their final game. In addition to being probably the best player of all time, Messi is the best at managing his efforts (certainly the GOAT of walking around the pitch.) Argentina, in addition to being more talented and experienced than the USA, are also far deeper. MMA look gassed already, and we have few alternatives. Of course the USA could get a positive result vs. Argentina, but the odds are very much against it.

nbarbour repped this.
  13. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe one of our guys will be the first to have a "successful dribble" against him for the first time in 37 years, or whatever the statistic is.

14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s not invincible this season in EPL and UCL when it comes to dribbles against.

15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there will be minimal rotation in this match. Berhalter has his best squad figured out and he's sticking to it. Antonee Robinson, while I'm sure he's tired, will continue to start. His style of play, regardless of how piss poor his touches were last game, is crucial to opening up the attack for our team, and he's a tireless defender. I think there might be 2 changes from the Iran game--Zimmerman will be back, and Aaronson starts but I don't know who will be dropped from the lineup for him.

16. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Berhalter had half a brain he would put in Luca Koleosho for this match.

gogorath, ChrisSSBB and dlokteff repped this.
  17. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true, but they're considerations for substitutions not starting 11. You don't go into a game that could possibly end up being 30 minutes longer than normal expecting that. You go into it trying to win in 90 and not have to play an additional 30. Berhalter will start his top squad as he sees it for the game. What happens later happens later, and if we're not winning 3-0 in the 89th minute I'll just hope that Berhalter has made smart decisions about what comes after that.

18. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    If Pulisic and Sargent are healthy, we will see the exact same lineup, but with Zimmerman instead of CCV. That's the squad. Berhalter's not going to change it now.

Method, xbhaskarx, Deep Wilcox and 4 others repped this.
  19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On your first point, I agree completely. Win in normal time and avoid being extra tired for the next game. I think that's every coaches' MO anyway, because it makes sense.

On your second point, would it make Greggggggg smarter in your mind if you knew he hadn't put any thought into who should take penalties until the 119th minute?

imasyko repped this.
  20. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Yeah, I'll disagree with this. Excessive worry about the bench is just the latest groupthink over here.

IMO, two issues are what will do us in:

1. We score about as well as a 90 year old, wheelchair-bound man does in a whorehouse, and

2. The coach is an imbecile.

21. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This. I don't know why anyone's even discussing rotational changes. We're dancin' with who brung us. Ok, *maybe* one additional switch up top, but assuming everyone's healthy, I don't see any major shakeups.

tomásbernal, gogorath and CAllen91 repped this.
  22. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not advocating we start the bench guys - simply pointing out that there is a reasonable chance this goes into extra time and depending what the score is at the half - we may really need great bench contributions. Despite the youth and fitness level - MMA simply cannot sustain their performance level indefinitely. Egg needs to have a well crafted plan for Saturday. After that it gets easier with 5 days rest (knock on wood that we win Saturday).

tomásbernal repped this.
  23. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pick up some roses for her ... smile ... then go right back to the game ... that will win you a few days of grace at least.

GreedyG, gogorath and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  24. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sooner or later the gods can (I hope) allow us to get a couple of first half goals. ... I hope that is this Saturday.

tomásbernal repped this.
  25. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I hope we do! It's a whorehouse. The 90 year old guy is scoring as much as he wants (can!!!)

rgli13 and Agenbite repped this.