Pre-match: USA v Netherlands Round of 16 12/3 10 am ET

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Nov 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont know if we tried that exactly but Lletget did play the false 9 against Switzerland once.

Guinho repped this.
  2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Gregg said he didn't think any of the players got it, but it did affect a number of the staff members (including Berhalter himself).

appoo repped this.
  3. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Pulisic will ask Berhalter to rest him so he is fresh for Chelsea.

but seriously…any word in Sarge?? He was doing quite well, in my biased opinion. His work rate was very good, he had a couple dangerous chances and his distribution was good. Should’ve had as assist with Weah but unfortunately the perfectly flat ball played back was skied well over.
    How is his ankle??

4. jgardner02

jgardner02 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Wright shouldn't see the field again. If he can't summon effort while trying to see out a game after he's only been on the field 5 minutes then he can watch.

5. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    A person can dream of offensive potency that matches our defensive potency. I cannot ever face the idea that one implies the absence of the other.

zanderbz and CU soccer repped this.
  6. jgardner02

jgardner02 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    But wouldn't we want them for penalties also? I think you tell Pulisic to conserve energy as he is able and let him go the full match. Maybe that involves rotating who is striker so that they get a little more rest? Start Reyna, Pulisic, Weah and have them take turns at 10 and on the wings so they have breaks? Unconventional I know.

7. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guinho repped this.
  8. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McT repped this.
  9. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO Gio and Aaronson should be used as sub tomorrow. Our strength is midfield with Adams, Mckennie, and Musah. You do not want to touch that. Whenever we are behind, Musah can be replaced with Aaronson in the second half. I always thought we should have tried diamond 4-1-2-1-2 formation before the world cup. Pulisic can play as one of the two forwards in that formation to fully utilize his offensive qualities. As much as it is important how to finish the game, it is important how to start the game. So, I do not expect to see rotation in the lineup. I think Gregg will stick with the same starting lineup he used against England except Sargent will start over Wright.

Guinho repped this.
  10. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    It’s kind of crazy this game is already just over 12 hours away. At least we didn’t get the Argentina-Australia turnaround I guess.

11. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    I'm nervous.

Guinho, Yowza and AIL1998 repped this.
  12. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. I cannot stop thinking about tomorrow's game. It is more stressful to be fan than player.

Swami and TurdFerguson repped this.
  13. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    They said it couldn't be done. That the Orange Wall could not be breached. But they didn't count on the pluck and courage of a ragtag group of American lads who didn't care much what they said. Christian Pulisic is Captain America in "All Your Cup Are Belong to Us." Coming this December to a theater near you.

Guinho and Yowza repped this.
  14. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching last rounds of group stage i started having some hope. If we won't concede early goal we can outlast Dutch, score late and hang on till the whistle.

Eleven Bravo and AIL1998 repped this.
  15. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Gonna see a lot of this in about 15 hours.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feels like the Dutch will look to press for an early goal then sit back and defend against our low powered offense.

We make it to the 30-40th minute without conceding and I think our chances improve drastically to get a win.

18. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tomorrow we will really need to play the right passes and play them faster. Too many times against Iran we had our guys not see the threatening pass that was available or dribble a little too long when they had a potential line-breaking pass on.

19. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bro, I’ve been on both sides and this is totally accurate.

I’ve played in High School championships in Maryland and National Title games in college (televised). My family and friends were always more nervous than I was.

Now that I’m strictly a fan, the damn stress and nerves are infinitely worse. Been like this since 2002 watching the US play. Ugh!

NNNJJJ, Bajoro, AIL1998 and 1 other person repped this.
  20. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Once again the key to tomorrow's match will most likely be goal differential.

Or set pieces.

Bajoro and eagercolin repped this.
  21. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Is goal differential the first tie breaker or is goals scored....I forget.

;)

gogorath, goussoccer, NNNJJJ and 2 others repped this.
  22. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m normally really anxious during our big games. Somehow, I don’t feel that way now. I’m pleased that we got out of the group. Would have been great to beat England or Wales, but the group phase was a success.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Kirium and RunthePoint repped this.
  23. Pickles

Pickles Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Path to the trophy is Netherlands - Argentina - Brazil - France (perhaps). If you think we have a 1/3 chance to win each game, our chance to win the trophy is 1.2%.

We're not going to win the World Cup. So just hope that the team plays smart and brave, and whatever happens will happen. I'd be happy with that kind of performance, win or lose.

gogorath, NNNJJJ, Jumbalaya and 2 others repped this.
  24. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Yep. 538 odds:

Make Quarterfinals = 34%
    Make Semis = 12%
    Make Final = 4%
    Win WC = 1%

gogorath repped this.