USA v Mexico - Nov. 2 in Dallas

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by nsa, Sep 30, 2003.

1. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    World Cup team coming to Dallas

2. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just got a letter from the Burn office. Hells yea!

3. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    got mine too

converting my 4 Dallas Burn palyoff tickets to this women's Nats friendly. Dallas Burn and playoffs, what was I thinking on this?

Too bad this game is at the Cotton Bowl but I will endure the cramped seating to see the Nats swan song.

4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas Burn press release

US WOMEN'S NATIONAL TEAM TO PLAY MEXICO AT COTTON BOWL ON SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2
    Match Just Three Weeks After Completion of 2003 FIFA Women's World Cup

DALLAS (October 2, 2003) - The Dallas Burn and North Texas State Soccer Association will jointly promote the United States Women's National Team game on Sunday, November 2 at 3:00 p.m. at the Cotton Bowl as part of the team's exclusive two-game US Tour following the 2003 FIFA Women's World Cup. The US will face the Mexican National Team, which was the last team eliminated in the qualifying for the 16-team World Cup. Mexico lost to eventual qualifier Japan in a two-game home-and-away total aggregate goals series played earlier this summer in Mexico City and Tokyo.

The US Women's National Team, the defending FIFA World Cup Champions, features an extraordinary collection of American sports icons including Mia Hamm, Brandi Chastain, Kristine Lilly, Julie Foudy and Joy Fawcett. Looking to repeat their 1999 World Cup title, the US Women defeated Norway, the #2 team in the world, on Wednesday night and will face the winner of the Germany/Russia match in the Semifinals on Sunday evening in Portland, Oregon. The match will be nationally televised at 6:30 p.m. (CT) on ESPN2.

The US Women, led by the incomparable Hamm, won the inaugural Women's World Cup in 1991 in China defeating Norway 2-1 in the Final. They fell to Norway in the Semifinals of the 1995 World Cup in Sweden before their dramatic win over China in front of 90,185 fans at the Rose Bowl in the 1999 World Cup Final. That game also attracted a record American television audience of over 40 million viewers and is considered to be one of America's premier soccer moments.

The US Women's National Team will open their NIKE "Live The Dream" series by taking on the National Team of Italy at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City on October 22. The following and last game of the tour in Dallas will therefore possibly be the last time that the group of Hamm, Chastain, Lilly, Foudy and Fawcett are partnered together on the playing field.

Tickets for the US/Mexico match in Dallas will go on sale on Monday, October 6 at 10:00 a.m. Tickets may be purchased by calling the Burn office at 214-979-0303 or through TicketMaster at 214-373-8000. Fans may also purchase tickets at the Dallas Burn office located at 14800 Quorum Drive, Suite 300, Dallas, Texas 75254. Office hours are Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Ticket prices for the match are $25 for Side Reserved and $35 for Center Reserved. Groups of 20 or more are eligible for a $5 discount off each ticket purchased. In addition, there are a limited number of Governor's Box VIP tickets at $120 each, which will include special perks to be announced.

Dallas Burn season ticket holders have been notified by mail of their special ticket options regarding the US - Mexico game, which will have first priority position.

Statement of Dallas Burn Investor Lamar Hunt
    "Speaking for the Hunt Family and the Dallas Burn organization, we are extremely proud to bring the US Women's National Team to Dallas for the first time in eight years.

Mia Hamm, Brandi Chastain Kristine Lilly, Julie Foudy, Joy Fawcett and their National Team contingent last played in the Metroplex in 1995. That game attracted a very small crowd of 6,400 people at Hillcrest High School. Believe it or not, that modest audience was a United States record for women's soccer at that time, however, within four years, their following exploded to the 90,185 for the US-China World Cup Final in the Rose Bowl.

My sons Clark and Daniel, who are both active in our family's stewardship of the Dallas Burn, attended that game with me and the images are indelible regarding not only the size of the crowd, but the passion of this country for America's female sports icons. Through the last seven years, 17 different American stadiums have turned out significant crowds of 20,000 or more for this unique and incredible group of America's Golden Girls."

Largest Attendance (By Stadiums) for US Women's National Team Games (Prior to January 1, 2003):

Year Stadium Site Attendance
    1999 Rose Bowl (Pasadena, CA) 90,185
    1999 Giants Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ)
    1996 Sanford Stadium (Athens, GA) 76,489
    1999 Stanford Stadium (Palo Alto, CA)
    1999 Soldier Field (Chicago, IL) 65,080
    1999 Jack Kent Cooke Stadium (Landover, MD)
    1999 Foxboro Stadium (Foxboro, MA)
    1998 RFK Stadium (Washington, D.C.) 46,037
    1996 Orange Bowl (Miami, FL)
    1999 Arrowhead Stadium Kansas City, MO)
    1999 Papa John's Stadium (Louisville, KY)
    1998 Citrus Bowl (Orlando, FL) 34,416
    2000 Spartan Stadium (San Jose, CA)
    1999 Mile High Stadium (Denver, CO) 25,099
    1999 Crew Stadium (Columbus, OH)
    2002 Safeco Field (Seattle, WA) 21,522
    2000 Navy-Marine Corps Stadium (Annapolis, MD)

"Hamm, Chastain, Lilly, Foudy and Fawcett are a special group of American athletes. They have been at the forefront of the American Soccer Revolution for 12 extraordinary years and our goal is for the North Texas soccer market to have a chance to see them in what all likelihood could be their final year of National Team competition together.

They and their new-era teammates are currently representing the United States in the FIFA Women's World Cup USA 2003. We are most appreciative that the Cotton Bowl has been made available for this event and that the North Texas Soccer Association has agreed to partner with the Dallas Burn for what we feel will be a memorable sports happening.

The Dallas Burn organization is only 19 months away from the opening of the team's new soccer-specific stadium in Frisco and we envision that the event being announced today is symbolic of the type of attraction the Burn will be bringing to the area."

Statement of John Sutter - President of North Texas State Soccer Association
    "This is a unique opportunity for North Texas since it has been almost ten years since the US Women's team has played here. We are so pleased that the soccer fans of this area will have the US/Mexico game, especially coming right after the World Cup competition. The US Soccer Nike "Live The Dream" tour can be thought of as a salute to several key players on the team, including Mia Hamm, Joy Fawcett, Julie Foudy and others. We are pleased to partner with the Dallas Burn organization on this event. It will be a special moment because these ladies have not just been pioneers for the women's game but for the overall interests of soccer in the United States."

www.dallasburn.com

5. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are special arrangements being made for a Sam's Army section. Nothing at http://www.sams-army.com. If I get permission, I'll post the info here.

6. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Kevin Lindstrom (Inferno and 3RD Degree):

7. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    This is US Soccer's favorite hobby, playing against weak teams.

Look where all these useless games got the USWNT in the WWC 2003?

USA 0 - Germany 3 ( SemiFinal) WWC 2003

8. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    With all do respect, its right after the World Cup in the US. Do you expect them to schedule another match with Germany 2 weeks after their World Cup match? Why would they schedule a match with anyone that had just participated in the World Cup?

Think about it.

On the other hand I dont know if this "Live the Dream" tour will be much of a success with the loss to Germany last night. It wouldn't even be as successful as the tour after the 99 WWC was.

One last payday for a lot of national team players I suppose...

9. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Paycheck game for the USSF. Any core fan of US women's soccer would assign this game no value whatsoever.

10. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  11. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Currently we are trying to organize a tailgate party so if any of you out of towners are coming, let me know and I'll let the person who knows more about thsi than I do know so we can plan accordingly.

12. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Over 11,000 tickets sold so far. Looks like it will be a good time and turn out.

13. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Re: got mine too

Would you really prefer Dragon Stadium?

Wonder how much of the support will be for Mexico?

14. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth

we like to see a lot of goals

15. I just wonder what will get tv coverage...and sorry if this sounds bitter but it's how i feel.

The first round of mls playoffs, or the us women in a friendly?

This should probably be a different thread but oh well

16. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    from all i hear the latter

espn2 has one playoff game we think it's 11/8 or 11/9 NE at CHI

the rest look to be on FSW

saturday's aren't the easiest time to get stuff on TV i guess...

17. sheriek

sheriek New Member

Nov 9, 1999
    tickets to USWNT vs Mexico at Cotton Bowl

Hi,

I'm new to the board and I bought 2 tickets to the USWNT vs Mexico game from ticketmaster but now something has come up and I cannot go. The tickets I think are pretty good so I want someone to have them. I'm not scalping them are anything I'd just like to get back the $70 I paid for them. I actually paid like almost $80 for them if you include all the stupid ticketmaster fees but I would like to just get back the face value of the tickets which is $70 ($35 per ticket)
    Here's the info on the tickets, if you're interested let me know. My e-mail address is sheriek@cmaaccess.com

U.S. Womens National Soccer Team vs Mexico
    Cotton Bowl, Dallas, TX
    Sunday November 02, 2003 3:00 pm
    Seat location: section 6, row 8, seats 9-10