Pre-match: USA v Mexico Gold Cup Final 2021 (8/1)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jul 30, 2021.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if, to validate a potential victory for Mexico, this is a serious question or sarcastic to be dismissive about pointing out the fact this is not, on average, 1st or even 2nd teamers, on the depth chart, for the US.

Hercules Gomez and Sebastian Salazar are duals and the premise of their show "Futbol Americas" is to cover both country's. They both settled on this being a c-team for the US.

To boot it's a c-team that's not been primarily geared to win, rather test out things for qualifying. For example, Berhalter acknowledged that, given the roster, Zardes would be starting it the priority was to win.

Whether that changes for the final, I don't know. I simply think Zardes will start because Dike's too injured and Gyasi is the alternative, while also getting Hoppe on the field as the ss or wing.

But the roster selection was even geared to try out extra strikers & d-mids to shore up weaknesses. So it's imbalanced to not even be a functional c-team.

A few of these players will be bumped up to the A or B team, but going in they weren't established as such. That's the point of the experiment. And it's been more or less successful. The execution has been a mixed bag, but simply by committing to it, the US is arguably the winner of this tournament. Making the final is the cherry. Winning it all would be fudge.

Pegasus, juveeer, Mahtzo1 and 1 other person repped this.
  2. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    The latter omega from the Greek alphabet, which signifies that the question is meaningless.

3. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Member

United States
    Jan 11, 2013

If we play the same lineup, Pos / spot on the USMNT depth chart

LW 5th——CF 3rd——RW 8th
    CM 1st ———CM 6th
    ——————DM 2nd
    LB 4th—-CB 8th—-CB 7th——RB 2nd

Winger depth is for wingers in general
    CM 1 is LLETGET, who I think Gregg would start over Yunus for now

so C-

4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I am making this lineup, my thoughts would flow like this:

1) I only have 2 CBs I even remotely trust. And I am not sure Sands qualifies in a 2 CB set. Much better in a 3 CB setup. Do I have anyone who can play RCB in a 3 man backline? Cannon seems the only option. Can he go 90? If he can, do I waste his ability to link up this far back?

2) I have to play 3 in CM, we'll be overrun with 2. Acosta & Lletget are two. Busio, Roldan, or Williamson for the third?

3) Gotta start Zardes over Dike. But a lone striker can get lonely vs Mexico.

Option #1: Risky 352.

--------------------Turner----------------
    -----Cannon---Sands---Robinson----
    Arriola----------Acosta---------------Vines
    ------------Williamson------Lletget----------
    ---------------Zardes------Hoppe-----------

Feel free to start Roldan or Busio for Williamson. IDK if I trust Moore to play RCB, or Kessler at this stage. This is risky. But can morph into 433 by pushing Vines back & Arriola up.

Option #2: Safer 433

------------------------Turner-----------------
    Cannon---Sands----Robinson----Vines
    -----------------------Acosta----------------
    -----------Williamson-----Lletget---------
    Arriola-----------Zardes--------Hoppe

Moore for Cannon if Reggie cannot go close to 90. Feel free to start Busio for Williamson or Roldan (for Williamson or Arriola).

5. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Member

United States
    Jan 11, 2013
    I feel Zardes is better coming on as a sub, he’s excelled at it the last 2 matches.

6. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know what version of the Mex NT we're looking at? Having to field an Olympic team as well must have put a lot of pressure on their player selection. Presumably that's a mostly u23 team, so this one could be more vets. I honestly have no idea. But from the commentary about the semis they're not exactly lighting the world on fire, so I don't think it's hopeless though certainly the on-paper odds would favor them.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Zardes has also scored as a starter.

onefineesq repped this.
  8. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    George is cap-tied to Northern Ireland.

Plus he's been dead for 16 years.

9. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've convinced me to get pizza AND Haagen-Dasz for dinner. I was going to have a salad. Thanks.

10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Dike falls on his shoulder and can’t go on, or is hampered, I would rather that happens with him as a starter than if he came on as a sub, Another reason to bring on Zardes as a sub.

TurdFerguson repped this.
  11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    It's the finals. Dike has been performing weakly, since the injury. It's Zardes or Hoppe up top. Zardes has the fresh legs and has scored, so it makes sense to go with him.

dams repped this.
  12. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup Berhalter never writes anyone off. Look at Acosta, he had performed poorly at a camp and looked entirely out of the picture. And then he played his way back into the team.

jnielsen and juveeer repped this.
  13. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is zero reason to start Dike. Whether his play has been hampered by injury. Or just not playing well doesn't matter. Its the final and you don't start him. This is no longer about looking at players or any of that. Been 5 matches to do so. Now its all out to win and Dike isn't it.

14. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Member

United States
    Jan 11, 2013
    Neither is Arriola, but you can pretty much bet he starts. I’d say the same thing about Lletget, but he was solid vs Qatar

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #190 OWN(yewu)ED, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    if Mexico wins they should feel very, very proud of themselves. So proud, that they should keep Tata through WCQ. We’ve pulled out all the stops. We absolutely don’t have anyone better. No alphabet excuses this time, If Mexico win, theyve truly beaten players-40-60 in our depth chart and their 1-23 should feel very awesomely about that. If you see Jackson yueill or jonathon Lewis on the field, you know the US is going for No Mercy. They’re basically our Christian pulisic and gio Reyna. I wish we had two players like that

16. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I love this idea. May have to copy it. Hard to even imagine what to pick for American food.

jnielsen repped this.
  17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    He should have never been in the picture the way he has. There are tons of younger midfielders than him already. Those guys should be improving at a much faster rate than Yeuiill. He isn't good enough and this should have never happened.

18. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada

In fairness, it's not just about what you're record it, it's also about how you play and who you play.

How many truly impressive performances were there, in games you watched during this streak? Many a team have built a lovely record pounding on drivel and Washington Generals type opponents only to get mowed down like the grass on a baseball field the second they open a match against a real, opponent of quality, even middling quality.

I look at the run and I see some performances that I thought ranged good to excellent:

4-1 over Canada in the Nations League was excellent.

4-0 over Cuba was the expectation, but still, they did it.

4-1 over Jamaica in Europe was good.

2-1 over Northern Ireland in Northern Ireland wasn't perfect but it was solid.

3-2 over Mexico was what I sometimes like to call a German Victory, getting outplayed but winning anyway (and we just did that two more times in our past 3 matches as well).

4-0 over Costa Rica in June might have been a product of Costa Rica's minds being elsewhere, the tournament over and all, but thrashing them is still thrashing them, and two years ago in June we would've taken a win in any friendly of any consequence over what we got in those Jamaica/Venezuela, and this was a tour de force of the best of our 2nd stringers and worse playing without seeming stress

6-1 over Martinique was impressive as well, a classic tour de force in the same vein as those wins over Costa Rica, Jamaica, Cuba and Canada.

I've seen 7 victories since I believe that streak began that were truly excellent performances, but I've also seen a litany of poundings of undermanned sides (3 different games in the winter '20-'21 window fit that bill), and some really ugly wins where we had no business (in my view) pulling off the miracle, but did so anyway (Qatar, Canada, kinda Mexico etc).

My issue here is we need to take all the pieces out of this:

#1: Winning when you don't play well enough to win can be a habit, and a good one.

#2: Barely playing well enough to win, especially against inferior opposition because you rarely play up to your talent level can also be a bad habit or reflective of a bad coach.

#3: Winning against the run of play tends to disappear the tougher the quality of the opponent is, and winning because of set piece catastrophes (Nations League Final) is something that fundamentally can't be something you can bet on relying upon (see Zero goals off of set pieces in the '17 hex, see the fact that the Mexican defending in the Nations League Final was without question one of the worst pieces of corner defending ever, and 1000% can't be how you expect to win. This one is particularly important as tons of fans argued: set pieces count too, and to be fair, they do, and taking advantage of scouting and analytics to maximize the quality of your set pieces is something every coach and squad should do, however if you can't get goals in the run of play, sooner or later you will get beaten, especially as you play against teams better organized and well practiced in the art of defending set pieces). If our attack continues to struggle to generate chances in the run of play we absolutely will not maximize our potential this cycle.

Have we amassed a stunning streak of results? Yes. Absolutely. We also won a Gold Cup and made the semifinals of the Copa Centenario in '16-'17, but still totally ---- the bed in qualifying anyway. Individual results are nice, but don't mean a lot if the best you can argue is that the team is grabbing results, but not consistently playing well (which I think is the best depiction of the past 19 months or so). We may not have paid a price for struggles over the past two years with any great consistency, but we will eventually, be it on the road in qualifying when intimidated refs, and the inherent difficulties of playing road matches in the humid, and difficult confines of El Salvador, Panama, Honduras, Costa Rica and Mexico come home to roost, or in the World Cup itself.

There's a lot to recommend in the team figuring out how to play ugly and win, as they did against Honduras, Mexico, Haiti, Canada and Qatar this summer, but if we don't figure out how to up our performance in the run of play, we'll be back to playing ugly and losing as we did in '19 instead, at least when the competition gets stiffer. It's important that we take away the positives from this run, but also to own the problems as well, mentality definitely seems to be on the upswing of late, but actual run of play performing remains uneven at best. We absolutely must improve on this. I am not someone who views qualification as seriously under threat: our talent is simply of too high a quality for me to believe Berhalter can't at least figure out how to finish top 3 in the region, but I do fear that the issues that continue to persist in year 3 of the Berhalter issue will end up killing any chance we have at playing up to our potential in the winter of '22-'23 in Qatar. It's imperative he get out of his own way and the team's way so they can start performing up to their talent level.

nbarbour, TurdFerguson and Guinho repped this.
  19. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you can only beat the team in front of you. If the Mexico win, they are champions of CONCACAF, yet again. Undisputed number 1 in the region. (Note: their young players are off in the medal rounds of the olympics, while ours…. aren’t). Yet another win by Mexico will merely confirm Mexico owns US at every level, club and country, barring an occasional friendly win.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  20. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? Owns us at every level? Last full side vs full side I am pretty sure we won.

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you didn’t read it in italicized sarcastic pink font :p

troll game was on point

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #197 OWN(yewu)ED, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    [sarcasticpinkfont] srsly. We should be thankful we aren’t playing their Olympic team. That’s where the real stars are. And they have a coach that’s like…….. “I don’t care if you play for Juventus, Manchester city, Chelsea, Wolfsburg, Barcelona, Leipzig, or whatever. I need you for the Gold Cup, and at more important”. Well, at least we don’t have to worry about that sorta stuff. [/sarcasticpinkfont]

gogorath and YNWA Rob repped this.
  23. FTGOTC

FTGOTC Member

Feb 21, 2021
    First if this idea was thrown out already I apologize; I miss a day on the boards and a new thread pops up with 8 pages of posts haha.

With that said, a few things seem clear to me:
    • Dike can’t/shouldn’t go.
    • We want Hoppe for a full 90’.
    • We are short on wing depth.
    • If Zardes, Hoppe, and Gioacchini all start we don’t have that 2nd-half impact sub.

Factoring all of that in: I think we start Hoppe up top, with Gioacchini and Arriola flanking him on the wings.
    Then in the 2nd half we bring in Zardes for Arriola and move Hoppe to the wing.

Gives Hoppe a run at the 9, gives him a full 90’ (and Gioacchini too if you want, though you could sub Roldan on for him), and gives us Zardes as an impact sub.

Footsatt, OWN(yewu)ED and largegarlic repped this.
  24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s very true, I think we like having Gio for that fresh legs option , may see serious yet again fir that reason

25. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Member

United States
    Jan 11, 2013
    Guess you didn’t get the memo, the Berhalter Brigade promised us that J Lewis was a super sub!!!!