USA v Mexico: Columbus, OH: Nov 11, 2016

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Real Corona, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the game in 2001, the Crew ticket office handled sales. They thought they had decent control over where the tix were going but on game day the line of buses bringing in Mexico fans on package travel deals stretched all the way back into the main parking area.

That was before he infamous RFK match when they told the agents not to sell to anyone "with a Mexican sounding surname".

It raised a kerfuffle, but nothing compared to what the reaction would be today.

Every game since 2001 the Mexico contingent has shrunk and shrunk. Part of it is that sales controls have become stiffer, but another part I think is that they have grown to expect to lose.

They used to come in a party mood, planning on a big celebration. By 2013, it was more resigned - hopeful but mostly just coming to see their boys.

This year, with the Mobile device only angle, I expect El Tri will barely be evident. Too baf. I enjoyed seeing their sadness.

2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    But what about the yearbook. .. ;)

Bill Archer repped this.
  3. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    So strange, i never got that. Oh well.

4. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Those package deals still exist: http://www3.ticketon.com/event/MEXICO-VS-USA-Excursion/336018.
    USSSC membership no longer includes the yearbook.

5. That's what I do.
    Then resale the scarf on ebay for $35 ....

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh my god if they tried the RFK thing now it would go nuclear so fast. I can only imagine.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol what idiot buys that scarf. That's what I want to know.

8. You'd be surprised how many idiots buy US Soccer scarfs.

Shipping address - Confirmed
    Terry U*****
    The Colony , TX *****
    United States

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the better question is what kind of idiot keeps on trying to go the Columbus when rooting for Mexico.
    It is like going to the same horror movie over, and over ,and over, again and not liking the ending each time.
    Like a form of masochism really.

Bill Archer repped this.
  10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean for $20 more you get the scarf and the benefits of actually being a member but I dunno that's just me

11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please explain about the mommy-blogger? And also the Seattle capos thing? Capos generally I don't understand--they don't even get to watch the game...appears they are more into cheerleading than soccer.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are talking about certain fans and incidents from the past. Let's just move on from that

wixson7 repped this.
  13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same that go to Azteca and Costa Rica I suppose.

UnitedBorn and wixson7 repped this.
  14. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010

[​IMG]

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never heard the story or what?

16. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I'm amazed to read that actually happened. Never had a clue about it.

17. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    Hi Guys. I am planning on going to the Game in NOvember. I am coming from NEw Jersey
    DId anybody here apply for the tickets?

18. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    It was the Honduras WCQ in 2001 at RFK, btw. Debacle on the field, that it was.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...r-match/acb99334-d399-4f44-b661-029e6f931abb/

http://www.soccertimes.com/wagman/2002/aug22.htm

I recall an article at the time - perhaps in the Post - that used the incident to support the theory that soccer is inherently un-American. We are the land of the "free" where you can buy a ticket in any section regardless of support, you see, and this whole fan segregation shows how sneaky and foreign soccer is.

(For the young-ens: one used to read that perspective in almost every media source, not just Ann Coulter.)

I recall noting that the article kind of missed the point about the racial profiling, since it was an American supporter. I got tix through BigSoccer, naturally.

19. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #119 Bill Archer, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Thanks for the refresher. I misremembered the opponent.

Of course it wasn't meant the way it sounded, but of course someone should have realized how it sounded.

It's hard to recall that back in those days the US team was pretty much guaranteed to be playing in front of a hostile crowd in the US when playing almost any Western Hemisphere side with the possible exception of Canada. Mexico in Columbus that year may not have been the first pro-US crowd the team ever saw but it was close and, in any case, even that one had a very sizeable contingent wearing green.

They were just looking for ways to provide as friendly a stadium as possible under the circumstances. Unfortunately, the "no Hispanic surnames" idea should have set off alarm bells.

It's also important to note that back in those days the hosting stadium/team ticket operation was in charge of sales. I may be mistaken again but AIR it was not US Soccer who came up with that particular doozy.

(Compare that with the iron-fisted ticket distribution process we're witnessing for Nov 11. Every single ticket buyer will have been vetted by USSF. The end result will see way fewer people with Hispanic surnames than that simple-minded blunt instrument of a policy could ever have prevented. "Gee, Mr. Smith, you're the ninth person named Smith I've talked to this hour")

Then again, just the other day a friend and I were talking about Columbus 2001 and recalled how, late in the second half with the match pretty well in hand, a goodly portion of what would be called"the supporters section"now was quite clearly chanting "mow my lawn".

I never read a single word about it, but it was pretty hard to miss. It just didn't occasion comment.

Today, Sunil Gulati would have a heart attack. They'd find him lying on the floor foaming at the mouth. How times change.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US soccer is still organized like amateur hour can't imagine what their offices were like around the turn of the century.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread isn't for trash talking between fans.

UnitedBorn repped this.
  22. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Is everyone else still waiting on lotto results?

CAllen91 repped this.
  23. Si_Se_Puede

Si_Se_Puede New Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Chicago, IL
    I am anxiously waiting! I'm wondering if they started notifying anyone yet? Any USSSC members that had a better chance at these tixs get notified?

24. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Will be interesting to see what the secondary markets hold for those of us who weren't prescient enough to apply for the lotto.

25. Si_Se_Puede

Si_Se_Puede New Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Chicago, IL
    There was a lot of discussion on the thread earlier about that. With the tickets issued being "mobile only", i wonder if the secondary markets would even be possible. I'm hoping its still an option for most of us that wont get lucky enough to get selected.