USA v. Japan post-game thread cont. (R)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by BuffloSoldier, Aug 7, 2008.

1. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    he did it very often... often when no one was around him... shyt annoys me

2. tjsokkerplayer

tjsokkerplayer New Member

Jul 8, 2008
    ok, i dont have regular cable, so i cant watch the games on msnbc, so does anyone else know where i can watch it on the internet instead, because i usually use myp2p.eu to watch gaes, but it wasnt up there

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no thinking about it ..... Guzan was terribly poor in distribution. He kept doing that 'goalkeeping thing' where you save or catch an easy ball, and then curl up into a ball with your head in the ground for 3 or 4 seconds. Unfortunately, after the US went up 1-0, quite often the Japanese were crashing the net in numbers trying to get the equalizer. Which also meant that many times Guzan did this rather than simply catching it and looking up, we had numbers up front if he would have simply quickly distributed it rather than go into his theatrics. It was annoying as hell, because of course he would get up after 4 seconds, bounce the ball around for another 5, and then boot the ball straight back to the Japanese, who then rammed it right back down our throats. It just amazes me how a professional keeper can't understand something so basic.

4. dsnipes1

dsnipes1 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    seconded. he did it many, many times. is anyone else scared to death every time wynne has the ball at his feet?

5. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, it might become a more possession style over the next two cycles. That's nice, but it doesn't address what this Olympic team is better at now (particularly if McBride isn't playing). I'll give you that he is better at possession than a counter.
    Playing against another team that attacks a lot would "call for" a counter-attack style, wouldn't it?
    I didn't say anything about long balls and I don't think the US will necessarily be good at taking the game to the Dutch. I think the Dutch will likely have a good deal of possession.
    I'd love to see Kjlestan hold the ball. He proved pretty horrible at it today. Same with Adu.

6. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Is this when the keeper came out and batted the ball away (I'm only basing this on the television highlights I saw minutes ago, I can't get my hands on a full game to watch)? Not a penalty IMO.

7. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guzan - 7 - Solid

Edu - 8 (first 75) 5 (last 15) - Great for the first 75 minutes. He must have tired for the last 15 because he was less than composed. Not to worry ... we bent but did not break.

Parkhurst - 7 - Solid and doesn't give away dangerous fouls at the top of the box.

Wynne - 8 - MOTM. He defended, recovered, made good short passes and even his long passes were on target. No bad touches and that is what we need from everyone!

Orozco - 6 - Very smart player. Decent game playing out of position.

Bradley - 7 - Solid. Didn't deserve a yellow on that play.

Klejstan - 3 - Pathetic passing. Decent defending. SHOULD be on the pine for the next game.

Adu - 5 - Tried to dribble too much when double teamed, however, he didn't have many options to help him out (McBride.) His volley was class -- a little more over the ball and that is the goal of the tournament so far!

Rogers - 6 - Great ball control and good runs down the wing. This kid has speed! Not only that, but he set up the player for later in the game when he cut back to his right for a shot -- unfortunately, the second defender played it perfectly and made him pass instead of shoot.

Holden - 7 - Great play all around. A little lucky on the goal, but hit it well. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of his tackles!

McBride - 2 - Not a good fit for this team -- his presence makes us play differently than our talent's skillset. The sooner Nowak turns him into our *supersub* the better. McPescadito??? At least he's learned to get the calls.

Altidore - 6 - For some reason the ref definitely did not like him. He was getting called for non-existent infractions. He did more in 10 minutes on the field than McBride did the whole time he was out there.

Feilhaber - NR. Not in the game long enough.

Szetela - NR. Not in the game long enough.

Nowak - 5 - Why do ALL US coaches insist on subbing from 65 minutes on REGARDLESS OF WHAT IS GOING ON ON THE FIELD???? McBride was gassed and ineffective at the half. He should have been subbed off then. Kljestan kept gifting the ball to Japan -- he should have been gone after 45 minutes too. I'm all for not messing up the cohesion of the team on the field, but if it is broken, then fix it already!!!

8. dsnipes1

dsnipes1 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    no, it was when he dribbled into the area and the japanese defender shoved him to the ground with both arms (clearly visible both live and even moreso on the replay) while not making any contact with the ball. clear penalty

9. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU

The US didn't win 4-0 with that rating.

McBrida was crap, deserves a 3

10. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Yeah, they didn't show that on the television highlights here in Japan (wonder why? hmm). The last minute of the highlights it's like the winning side didn't exist in anyone's camera view.

11. zerkdave

zerkdave Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    Dsnipes1 = "DaPrince84"....nice try

12. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the most frustrating thing for me watching this team is that I believe that with the myriad of attacking options and styles they have at their disposal they don't seem to have decided which way to run their offense. If you're going to put McBride up top then spray the ball to the wings and whip in those crosses. If you are going to use Freddy up top then knock the ball around, wait for him to find space and get him the ball moving forward. If you're going to play counterattack bomb the hell out of the ball to Davies or Rogers.

Where offensive opportunities will be less and less in the next two games I'd like to see some cohesion in the desired style of offense.

Hopefully...HOPEFULLY Nowak has an idea of how best to get some goals against the next two opponents and will put the right pieces on the field to achieve that.

13. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    No, not that one. There was a time in the second half he got pushed down in the upper corner of the box. From Marcelo's defensive perspective it wasn't a foul:rolleyes:. I think the ref would have called it had it not been in the box.

14. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    Naw Dsnipes1 = JuanPeron lol. And they're both right. Wynne just puts his foot through the ball and the opposing side just comes marching back down.

15. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must have watched a different game than I did because Wynne's distribution was just about the best out there. I haven't seen him play much lately so I was specifically looking for the the bootballs and bad touches that everyone says he has ... but they were NOT there!

Even when he sent long balls down the field, they made it to one of OUR players -- they were not just bootballs! I was very impressed with his touch and overall play.

16. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    We are on TOP of the world, well at least in our GROUP.

The Nigerian tied the Dutch today.

If we could get a point from the Dutch on Sunday, our path to the QF is almost certain.

17. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We stole those 3 points, but I will take them.

Defense: Guzan was ok,couple of niggles.Wynne might have been our best player,CBs were good on the ground,not so good in the air, Orozco is not a LB and was exposed. Scary how poorly we handled the last 10 minutes of pumped long ball and dead ball defense.

MF: Thought MB was solid, Rogers,Holden,and Sacha all had the same problems: Too many giveaways and hospital balls and really poor 1on1 defending,they all show offensive abilities marred by bad choices and lack of execution. Benny and Danny did not really add the possession they were subbed in for....

Forwards: BMB won lots of headers and drew fouls but he and Freddy had trouble linking. Freddy needs to learn to play the flicks and knockdowns and make better decisions.Jozy was dangerous and physical.

Nowak: Can't really argue with his starting lineup too much but it would have been nice to see Freddy and BMB actually get some time together up there in the warmup,their communication was not good.He really needs to coach up the young guys about how to
    play off BMB, no one is anticipating the knockdowns at all. Good subs,wish the MF guys had helped possession more.

JP was OK, Celo is still a repetitive idiot who has zero foul recognition at all.The studio guy was a moron who did not seem to understand that there could be soccer highlights
    even if there was no score, also missed the boat on an American scoring for Italy.Bet they don't miss the BBall story.

18. dsnipes1

dsnipes1 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    i agree and disagree. his distribution surprised me in that it wasn't that bad for most of the match. however, towards the end of the match, he was definitely blindly bombing the ball upfield, only for it to return a few seconds later.

19. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlight of the goal while it lasts.

[youtube]xnDOKb4b4fc[/youtube]

20. CHthirteen

CHthirteen Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Chicago
    Rodgers ran well up and down the wing, but needed to cross the ball earlier. Adu needed to get rid of the ball quicker. It seemed like we played the whole game with 3 CM, and 1 LM.. who was supposed to be playing on the right wing?

The US needed more width, and to get crosses in earlier to McBride for him to be effective. This plan of "give the ball to our talented center midfielders and hope" strategy showed it's limitations.. as did the thin-ness of our defence.

A scrappy win.

21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Balboa said (admitting his bias as a defender) that it wasn't a penalty, that Adu went down to easily. Looked like a heck of a shove to me. But, the ref called it the same in both penalty boxes. That's all you can ask for.

22. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was Nowak's fault. He shouldn't have brought McBride to begin with. Additionally, you don't take a team of 15 field players that is suited to play one way, and then grab 1 player who plays another, and expect the 15 others to play HIS style. That's just dumb. Heck, this team would be better if we started Davies over McBride ..... and no, I'm not joking. It would play better to the strengths of the team. The way this is looking is just as i feared and stated early on: An early going away present/victory lap for McBride instead of a team put together sensibly, and that's after a victory.

23. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Have to disagree with this. I thought the game was fairly even for the most part, but we doubled them in shots on goal (4 to 2) and had as many danagerous opportunities and coulda-been PKs as they had. Their wing play was very good, but they had no forwards to put the ball away. Hence, they don't get a lot of credit from me for playing in dangerous crosses to no one. A tie would have been a fair result, a win for either side was maybe slightly unjust, but by no means a theft.

24. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Posted here four minutes ago. I'm surprised it's taking the Chinese authorities this long to hunt down the uploader.

25. zerkdave

zerkdave Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    No Juan, you need a number after your name, b/c Dsnipes and DAPrince are such popular games. You are another lazy arse who didn't watch the game and want to comment about it. Well you probably aren't lazy...just overslept.