Post-match: USA v Jamaica WCQ 11/16

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Nov 16, 2021.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 OWN(yewu)ED, Nov 16, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    Lucky to get out of there with a point frankly speaking. Showed how much we missed McKinnie and Miles Robinson. Jedi was just amazingly bad.

Despite that, our overall yearly performance report is "meeting standards". Some people get pissed off and motivated when receiving that write up, some are completely happy with that. Depends on the individual's mindset. Id like to think we are capable of better than this, though.

2. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should do rondos out in the middle of a pumpkin patch or something. Technical ability was lacking.

Both teams will be disappointed with a draw, but I actually think Jamaica more so.

Guinho repped this.
  3. matt021d

matt021d Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antonee Robinson with potentially the worst performance of the entire cycle thus far. He was shocking

4. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Robinson and Aaronson had rough windows. Most would have taken four points before the window started, but this performance makes it feel like another step back for us.

ChicagoVT, gunnerfan7 and madvillain repped this.
  5. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    REALLY lucky we didn’t lose.

Zimmerman, Weah, Musah and Adams (except on the goal) were the better US players in my mind.

Arob, Aaronson, Busio, Yedlin were poor.

Pepi decent hold up play for 30 minutes then wilted.

Steffan should have stopped that goal. Ball was not anywhere near the corner or post. He didn’t see it. He wasn’t alert. It was hit hard but he could have done so much better.

I don’t have any issue with who came on in the game but don’t understand why Weah and Musah came off and Busio (who was mostly invisible) played the whole 90.

ChicagoVT, TrueCrew, Namdynamo and 5 others repped this.
  6. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got out with a point without our best 8 and our best center back. Held serve on a waterlogged cow pasture. Move on. Not much else to say. On to Canada-Mexico in the modern-day Ice Bowl in a couple of hours.

wixson7, owian, USA-Zebuel and 7 others repped this.
  7. melatoninlol

melatoninlol Member

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Oct 27, 2019
    Near Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Away draws are generally acceptable, but it would be nice if we didn't play like crap away almost all the time. We've had maybe 90 decent minutes in 4 matches now?

jnielsen, TrueCrew, Namdynamo and 9 others repped this.
  8. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weah and Musah had better been because of fatigue, because getting rid of our more dangerous players for a tactical shift would be terrible.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  9. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Shockingly bad performance. This team needs to figure out how to play tougher and smarter on the road, especially on set pieces, and QUICK. At the very least now need to win @ Costa Rica and likely @ Canada as well.

Just a disgustingly soft performance.

ChicagoVT and CU soccer repped this.
  10. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    We'll take the point.

I'm interested in seeing the xG as this seems like yet another game where Berhalter's offense didn't create nearly enough dangerous chances. Seems to happen too often and by far my biggest complaint about his coaching.

jnielsen, TrueCrew, Namdynamo and 3 others repped this.
  11. Fat&Old

Fat&Old Member

Whoever americans play for
    United States
    Aug 19, 2021
    I don't understand the substitutions. Weah and Musah were two of the better players and came off first. Busio and Jedi didn't look great, and played 90? aaronson didn't look too hot either. We are lucky to get out with a draw.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  12. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only caught the second half, but we looked toothless in the attack.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think this was not a great window for either Aaronson or Pepi.

Antonee Robinson was horrendous today. Hopefully just a one-off performance.

13. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Lots of players struggled with energy and touch and the field. Robinson was a mess. Aaronson was not great. Pepi was off. Yedlin and Steffen had potentially catastrophic misplays. Musah was holding the ball too much and too casual - and in hindsight I’m not convinced Busio contributed much. Whether another player would have been better is highly questionable.

wixson7, dwsmith1972, Namdynamo and 7 others repped this.
  14. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, 24 points (wins at home against El Salvador, Honduras, and Panama) should be enough to qualify.

owian, TrueCrew, Marius Tresor and 2 others repped this.
  15. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    We were flying out there first 20-25. Took the foot off the gas. They hit a wonder goal, weren't really impressive otherwise, played on a bog with holes, we played half speed like molasses, then we killed off the game with subs. Kinda boring.
    Why can't we win on a free kick , mistake, or far out goal? Jamaica late goal was a foul? We were lucky we didn't have the ref from the Mexico match.

jnielsen, TrueCrew, sakibomb523 and 7 others repped this.
  16. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Most singularly awful performance in the Berhalter era IMO.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only player whose stock went UP that game for me was Zimmerman. He once again dismantled a lot of attacks today. He's absolutely CB2 for me. Weah had another nice game, though, hes clearly on an upward trajectory as well.

Ill be honest I was hoping for more from Busio. He wasnt embarrassing, he was just......average.

Pepi, Yedlin, Aaronson were pretty bad. Jedi was diabolical.

Monarch Bay Beachbum repped this.
  18. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Meh....it was one of those games....emotional let-down after the Mexico win + travel + bad field + hot weather = mediocre attacking performance.

We got a point on the road, which in WC qualifying is never a bad thing.

Steffen should have tipped Antonio's shot over the bar, but it is what it is....looked like he saw it late and/or was surprised by the shot.

Jedi had his worst game in a US uniform, and the team clearly missed McKennie....

19. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not terribly happy with the performance, but we have six games left and 15 points. Win the three home games (9 points), draw the road games (3 games), and you have 27 points. That's going to be plenty. And I still think this team pulls it togehter to win at Costa Rica.

I just wish this cycle wasn't such an emotional roller coaster . . .

ChicagoVT, gogorath and mfw13 repped this.
  20. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think a lot of the "CONCACAFy" stuff is exaggerated, but for a couple decades now across multiple coaching staffs, I've seen this team consistently put up performances that range from meh to awful on the road. So there's obviously something to these.

From a purely qualifying for the World Cup perspective,, today's performance and this qualifying campaign have been fine, but this has not been the "Grab CONCACAF by the balls" campaign that we hoped for 3 months ago. This team does not seem to be playing up to their talent

ChicagoVT, TrueCrew, Namdynamo and 4 others repped this.
  21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Been watching us qualifying in CONCACAF since the 02 cycle and this was the worst pitch I’ve seen that didn’t involve a monsoons

garbage.

don’t give a shit about this match and glad they got the point.

0 analytic usefulness

wixson7, RerunStubs, Pegasus and 10 others repped this.
  22. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Concacaf really needs to get pressured by FIFA to pass minimum standards for a field.. it’s ridiculous.

it can’t be that hard to hire a part time grounds crew towards the buildup to the match to fix these ongoing issues.

the US needs to be making a stink about these issues.

RerunStubs, ChicagoVT, Pegasus and 7 others repped this.
  23. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Unsurprised by the result given the emotional energy expended against MEX. Nevertheless, a few concerns;

* Not sure what Berhalter was doing with the subs there -- as ever, Acosta as a #8 is a mistake. ... It didn't seem like Berhalter really had much of a plan for the game, just seemed like they rolled out the ball and got at it. Which is not Berhalter's usual mistake.

* Steffen's second half was very rough... Busio was a non-presence. Both of those reinforce earlier qualms so maybe a bit more worrying than normal bad performances.

* By contrast Jedi's bad performance was out-of-character for him so not particularly concerned.

Positive:

* Liked Pepi's hold-up play! He seems pretty good at it for the nats -- in contrast to FCD -- and makes me more bullish on his future career.

* CBs were reasonably solid.

Dervos and aeschylusdanceparty repped this.
  24. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, that was not a foul on the header at the end. No VAR actually saved us once.

jnielsen, TrueCrew, ttrevett and 5 others repped this.
  25. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    So my quick reaction is that was a pretty bad second half. We absolutely need one of Musah or McKennie on the field at all times. Thought Busio did decently well and if he continues to improve in Italy, should be a nice sub for one of those two guys when we need it, but we absolutely need one of them on the field. Also, thought Richards was solid, and I like the three of Robinson, Zimmerman, and Richards. Aaronson brought his effort as usual, but had a pretty mediocre window overall. I know people are going to be divided on Pepi, but I again thought he fought, occupied the cbs, and helped link up stuff when the opportunity was there. I won't go so far as to say we were lucky to leave with a point, because they had the wonderstrike and frankly should have a red card and numerous yellows, but still a pretty dire second half. Young team, so you know it's going to be a bit up and down. Anyway, I would have taken 4 points before the window, so I'm not too upset. But man, we have to have McKennie or Musah on the field at all times.

jnielsen, Pegasus, Craig P and 2 others repped this.
  26. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    It wasn't his best game, but Robinson wasn't nearly that bad.