Pre-match: USA v. Jamaica, Oct. 11, 2013

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Sep 10, 2013.

1. camasterton

camasterton Member

Jun 26, 2001
    North Carolina
    It'll be interesting to see what happens with Brooks. It was extremely unlikely he would have played in Costa Rica. With all of the players on yellows for that match, it was predictable that the back ups in camp would be called in for Mexico. That is why they had a pre-arrangement for him to leave after Costa Rica. Now if he is called in to the squad for KC, they'll be a very good chance that he could play as a sub, considering that the Coach would probably not risk the "already made its" for a less than very important set of matches. Being there, could lead to cap tying him to the USMNT. If he is there, he is most likely a WC candidate. If he is not there- refuses, has Hertha claim injury/need... or through his agent lets the Coach know he is keeping options open- he will most likely not be on the 2014 WC squad for the USA.

2. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    These are the only 2 competitive games we have between now and the world cup - AKA the last good chance to evaluate anyone in a situation that matters.

I have no idea why everyone wants to send a total B team. I think we should be playing most our starters and putting in a few fringe guys to let them play themselves into our out of a spot in the 23.

TrjnsSUC repped this.
  3. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    If we don't think our B team is reasonably capable of getting a result against Jamaica or Panama, then no we should not send a B team.

But, if we do think we can get a result without our A team (and I think we can), then there would be no better chance to test a large number of fringe players than against two highly motivated sides fighting for their lives in World Cup qualification.

4. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Home:

------------Johannsson-----Dempsey-----------
    Donovan-----Cameron----Diskerud------Zusi
    Beasley-------Besler-----Gonzalez------Evans
    -----------------------Howard---------------------

Road:

----------Johannsson-------E.Johnson----------
    Beasley------Torres-----Beckerman-----Corona
    Castillo------Brooks-----Goodson------Chandler
    ------------------------Guzan-----------------------

23:
    GK: Howard, Guzan, S.Johnson/Hall
    DEF: Beasley, Castillo, Brooks, Goodson, Besler, Gonzalez, Evans, Chandler, Parkhurst
    MID: Donovan, Torres, Beckerman, Cameron, Diskerud, Zusi, Corona
    FWD: Dempsey, Johannsson, E. Johnson

Some things I'd like to see:
    Beasley at LM
    Cameron at RB
    Brooks Cap-Tied
    Fringe battles for WC: Torres, Corona, etc.
    Chandler called in, if he refuses, let him know he's not going to WC
    Main starters rested on road to avoid injuries/targeting

5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're still taking suggestions: how about an all-Sporting KC team against Jamaica, and as many Houston Dynamo players as possible against Panama (since they'll have a CCL game there the following week). :D

Polemarch repped this.
  6. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    You'd probably want guys to have at least 2 full days rest on either side, so with that in mind:

Out for both games - SEA, MON
    Out for Jamaica - KC, HOU, VAN, COL, SJ, NE, PHI, DCU, CHI, DAL
    Out for Panama - POR, LA
    Available for both - TOR, CHV, RSL, CLB, NY (sadly most of these teams contribute nothing to the national team)

Rest the MLS guys on the appropriate dates, and I'd say let the Euro-based starters stay in Europe (fringe/younger Euro guys get the call. Giving you a possible 23 for Jamaica:

GK - Guzan, Rimando, Kennedy
    D - Lichaj, Chandler, DMB, Garza, Gonzalez, Brooks, Edu, Spector
    M - Diskerud, Kljestan, Beckerman, Donovan, Corona, Bedoya, Shea, Castillo
    F - Johannsson, Boyd, Villareal, Arriola

For Panama replace Kennedy, Gonzalez, Donovan, and Villareal with S. Johnson, Besler, Zusi, and Agudelo.

7. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yeah, i am on-board with the thought of having some MLS guys leave after the first game to be replaced by others. Specifically it could be good to get Besler and Gonzalez partnered with other guys, as that is nearly certain to happen at some point in the world cup. It can do only good to have either one of them paired up with someone else in a competitive game.

8. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    The reason is do you want Howard, Dempsey, Donovan or any other A teamer to get hurt?

9. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Dempsey, Donovan, Howard, Bradley, all deserve the rest. There is no reason for starters to be called in except maybe Gonzalez, Evans, Besler - they need the experience.

Any other starters should be sheltered from possible injury (see Oguchi Onyewu).

10. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    No starter plays in these games due to the threat of injury (Oguchi Onyewu).

Gonzalez, Besler, Evans need to play for experience.

11. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yeah, i am on-board with the thought of having some MLS guys leave after the first game to be replaced by others. Specifically it could be good to get Besler and Gonzalez partnered with other guys, as that is nearly certain to happen at some point in the world cup. It can do only good to have either one of them paired up with someone else in a competitive game.

12. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    who would that be?

13. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    who would that be?

14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't know either, maybe Stu Holden? Trying to think of someone who was good to solid before a major injury and a regular starter before the injury???

Can't come up with one other than Stu, although he was not a regular starter before this most recent injury, but before the first round of injuries he was. He's been recovering from major injuries much more more than actually playing since 2010, so I don' see how he would fit that description.

15. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my god that's a terrible looking roster. Edu, Garza, Shea, Villareal and Arriola have no business playing the in a WCQ game even if it is meaningless. Villareal and Garza aren't good enough, Arriola has played in a handful of professional games give or take while Edu and Shea are coming off injuries.

16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Wow, so the league's leading scorer has another job that has nothing to do with soccer? Is the Jamaican league completely semi-professional?

17. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Are we calling many A team guys?

personally I wouldnt mind seeing something like this:

--------------Agudelo------------
    Fabian------Johannsson----Rowe
    ---------Mix-------Cameron-----
    Klute---Brooks-----Gonzo--Lichaj
    ---------------Guzan-------------

Bring Shea off the bench if available. I wouldnt mind seeing Corona get another shot on the right, he just looked bad on the left. He, Zusi, Donovan, or Bedoya could start and Rowe come off the bench..

Call in Yedlin see how he does in camp, maybe Chandler too

18. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great question. Honestly, Jozy and Bradley. We've shown over the past year that we can win against quality sides without either Donovan or Dempsey. I don't think that's true when it comes to Jozy and Bradley.

19. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    What about Mexico?

Oh, yeah, I forgot.

20. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the MLS playoffs going on we're likely going to miss quite a few of our best players in the November friendlies, so this is really our last chance til March to really keep our full team together. I don't mind giving tries to weaker positions or even giving runouts to guys like Brooks and Bacon, but with the few matchday's between now and Brazil, I'd like to use our full team as many times as possible

21. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the MLS playoffs going on we're likely going to miss quite a few of our best players in the November friendlies, so this is really our last chance til March to really keep our full team together. I don't mind giving tries to weaker positions or even giving runouts to guys like Brooks and Bacon, but with the few matchday's between now and Brazil, I'd like to use our full team as many times as possible

22. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    I suspect Jurgen will treat these matches like a pair of friendlies as far as rosters. Since they are in the US and Central America, I don't suspect we'll see too many European players, unless he feels there is a strong reason to call them in. Say he wants to see more of JAB and Bacon, perhaps he calls them in for the first one and then releases them to their clubs for the second. I'd be surprised to see European regulars like Bradley, Jones and Jozy. There is already a friendly scheduled in Scotland a month later, and perhaps a second in Europe. We'll likely see the European players feature in November. In fact, it wouldn't surprise either way regarding call ups for JAB and Bacon in the qualifiers. He could wait to bring them in again until November, as much as BS will be screaming bloody murder about missing the chance to cap tie JAB.

As far as MLS players, he'll likely work that out with the clubs. He could, for example, call in Donovan and Gonzo for Jamaica then Besler and Zusi for Panama given the KC game on the 9th and LA game on the 16th. Seattle has games on the 9th and 13th so perhaps Dempsey, Evans and GAM don't feature in either.

23. USA2010?

USA2010? Member

Mar 23, 2006
    I'm of the opinion that MLS shouldn't be able to complain about players on international duty since THEY SCHEDULE GAMES DURING FIFA DATES!

Now, whom do I think we would like to see....
    I think playing a complete B team does no good and is a bit unfair for those trying to break into the A team. In addition, my guess is Bradley will need the rest. We want him healthy and playing for Roma ASAP.
    I would like to see players that we are unsure about... are good enough (i.e. Mix), how good are they (ie. Bacon), do they to play together more (i.e.. Besler, Omar, Brooks)

Players who are not on most people's starting 11 but whom I think we know what they can do and will probably make the 23 - EJ, Beckerman, Cameron...so if they don't see the field it is not a total loss
    Here is what I'd like to see against Jamaica...

Bacon
    LD Dempsey Bedoya
    Mix JJ
    FJ Brooks Omar Evans/Parkhurst
    Guzan
    Subs: Boyd, Beasley, Corona, EJ, Kljestan, Besler

vs. Panama
    Boyd
    FJ Donovan Zusi
    Kljestan Cameron
    Beasley Besler Omar Parkhurst
    Guzan

Subs: Bacon, Brooks, Corona, EJ

24. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every coach complains about international duty whether they have scheduled games or not.

Obviously with MLS and the US Nats being a symbiotic relationship in many ways, I am sure Klinsmann will take care who he calls based on the situations.

25. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The roster I would choose for the next two games would be

GK: Guzan, Rimando, Hamid
    DEF: Lichaj, Yedlin, Brooks, Onyewu, Ream, Orozco, Castillo, Spector
    MID: Bedoya, Gatt, Cameron, Edu, Torres, Mix, Kljestan, Corona, Shea