Pre-match: USA v. Jamaica, Oct. 11, 2013

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    We never called him. We all know you're a troll on these boards - act is getting old.

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  2. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not a troll. Annoying ? yes but i dont troll.

3. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Please direct me to a source saying Julian Green refused a USMNT callup for Bosnia in favor of the DFB U-21s in which JK attempted to call him in.

4. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no way Zusi and Besler do not get called in for a NT match at their home stadium...

I mentioned Beltran because a) he was on the Gold Cup roster b) according to comments by GusnEric, JK thinks very very highly of his potential and c) RSL has no matches. Doesn't make him a lock, but don't be shocked if he gets the call.

Luis Suarez, onefineesq and ttrevett repped this.
  5. richmondlaw

richmondlaw Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    I'll be happy if Johannson Brooks and Diskerud start. Those are the most promising youngersters who haven't started a Hex game yet who could possily end up starting a WC game. And then add in a few more veterans and also give Guzan the start and leave Howard in England.
    For the roster though I would have a few newbies on it so they can at least get a taste of the atmosphere in Panama for the next cylce of road games.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Schedule for the likely camp timeframe:
    10/9
    KC @ HOU
    VAN @ SEA
    COL @ SJ
    (JAM @ USA 10/11)
    10/12
    NE @MON
    PHI @DCU
    CHI @DAL
    10/13
    SEA @POR
    (USA @ PAN 10/15)
    10/16
    MON @ LA

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. These are exactly the kinds of players that we can expect to be on this roster. In the RSL vein, I expect Rimando will be there...................and may start one of the matches.

Guys that have been in USMNT camps and friendlies in 2013, and also have MLS schedules that make their call-up less stressful to their MLS coaches. That's what we're likely to see.

In fact I won't be surprised if a handful of guys are available for the 1st game, and are then replaced for the second game.

I do expect some fun callups that will get us talking. Guys that might not play, but Klinsmann might want to get into a USMNT atmosphere. Luis Gil of the aforementioned RSL for instance. Why not?

8. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can think of some Galaxy players that would fall under the bolded...

9. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    According to the schedule you posted, they have an away game at Houston two days before the Jamaica game. Either they're forced to miss that or that's a very short turnaround time. I guess they could be on the bench and get some late minutes however. Or maybe KC will have wrapped up qualification for the playoffs by then.

Also from that schedule, it looks like LA players might be available for this one, as long as they're sent back immediately after the match. That would allow Gonzalez to pair with Brooks or Cameron against Jamaica.

And, yeah with RSL not having any matches, I wouldn't be surprised to see Beckerman or Rimando. Maybe Gil too for the future. Beltran would surprise me a bit, but who knows.

There might be a couple other teams who have wrapped up a playoff spot by then -- maybe Seattle -- and DC is already eliminated.

10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd hate to see a purely young side, as I think that undermines the opportunity for the whole team as the younger players playing with a majority of A/B teamers allows the young guys to shine more. I hope JK selects guys like Mix, Shea, Dreds, GCam, Bedoya, but sprinkles in guys with legit shots at making "the jump" before 2014 like Yedlin and Brooks to see how they might integrate into the squad full of guys who've been there before with the NT. JK is a big an of chemistry it seems, so before he brings a guy like Yedlin into a meaningful match, he's going o want to see if he fits into the "pure giver" court or more of a "taker" and see where that throws the team balance.

Seems that without Holden, the teams needs another "pure giver". I don't really see one of those out there.

11. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    47% of our player pool is made up of takers.

tab5g and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  12. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #87 AutoPenalti, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Tim Howard (Everton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Cody Cropper (Southhampton)

DEFENDERS (9): DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Michael Parkhurst (Somewhere in Germany), Omar Gonzalez (L.A. Galaxy), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest) Demarcus Beasley (Puebla)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Michael Bradley (AS Roma), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Mikkel Diskerud (Rosenborg), Landon Donovan (L.A. Galaxy), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenhiem), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht)

FORWARDS (3): Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Jozy Altidore (Sunderland)

Altidore
    Fabian — Donovan — Johannsson
    Bradley — Jones
    Beasley — Besler — Brooks — Yedlin
    Howard

I want to win, also by experimenting that back line at the same time.​

13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Clearly, Seattle will get f*cked in this equation. Two matches (Both Cascadia matches) and I can't see JK not calling up CD, EJ and Evans.

14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually according to JK, it's 47.32%

15. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little unfair to Omar, given his stellar performance in Columbus. I wouldn't want JK to send the message that we want to experiment, by taking out you , Omar. While Dempsey is probably pretty confident to deal with sitting this one out, I wouldn't want to dent mar's confidence in his spot, which based on his play lately should be assured.

Editted to say, I do like that 23, outside of Cropper.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You lost me early on with this statement. These games mean NOTHING to the US in terms of results. The only way the actual RESULT would matter to me at this stage is if we were to get a seed out of it. And despite all the number crunchers and big dreamers here, there is zero chance that happens for 2014. So the results will get us absolutely squat.

The fact that Panama or even Jamaica need a result is completely irrelevant to the US team. It has already qualified. In fact, that is precisely the joy of being qualified early ..... you can continue on with building the team without having to worry about RESULTS biting you in the behind. If it screws some other team, that's THEIR problem for not getting results up to this point. The WC is a ways away. By the time it arrives, no starter is going to give 2 cents about 2 games that didn't matter for them in October of 2013. In fact, I would guess that some of the fringe players or (potentially) new players (Brooks, Johannsson, Yedlin, etc) would give a better effort out there than starters who may have very little to play for in their own minds.

I'm reminded of the game we played in New York against Brazil right after the last World Cup. Brazil was expected to bring a very young and inexperienced squad, all things considered. Some of us advocated the US should bring a younger squad as well, to prepare for the next cycle. Instead we brought a WC reunion squad, who promptly went out there and gave a 50% effort and got blown out, because the game meant nothing to them. I'd rather be assured of a team busting its ass, against competition that is taking this VERY seriously (which both opponents will). Those guys will never get such an opportunity to prove themselves after these 2 games, because none of the games later will be against opponents fighting for their lives. Not saying bring an entire squad of guys like this, but it makes no sense to trot out the same lineup for fear of not getting a "result."

It does seem that you advocate for some of the moves that I would envision happening though. But I would simply dispute the results angle. These results don't matter.

Statman repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think many more of the Euros will be left at home than you are predicting.

For instance, I see absolutely no point in calling up both Howard and Guzan. Leave Howard at home, and call up Rimando. He's deserved a qualifier after his performance in the Gold Cup.

Also, an earlier poster is right. You've called up 4 Sounders players to your roster, and they have two critical MLS games in this period. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Sounders and the USSF come to some sort of agreement about this. In fact it won't surprise me if only 1 of your 4 is called up.

I suspect a big group of the Mexico players will be called up instead of the Euro-based players. Corona, Torres, Orozco-Fiscal, etc. will be on the roster instead of players like Bedoya, Jones, and Cameron. Perhaps even some of the fringe Tijuanamericans like Greg Garza and Paul Arriola. Why not?

We'll have PLENTY of friendlies between October and the World Cup.

Statman and mike4066 repped this.
  18. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winning the Hex matters. I guarantee you it will matter to JK, and I think we will play to win. However, it think it's also fairly likely that we will win the hex on MD 9. That could make 10 interesting. I can see JK paying back some clubs (like SKC, LAG and Seattle) from which he's been taking a lot of players.

tab5g repped this.
  19. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think this statement is really mis-leading, there are not PLENTY of FIFA dates occuring in this time frame.

Nov 15-19
    Mar 5
    Euro season close to Start of WC

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think with the Jamaica game in KC you see a lot of the KC guys (Besler and Zusi in particular) actually called up for that one. They'll split training with club/country in the days leading up.

The XI I would use vs Jamaica

Guzan
    Parkhurst Gonzalez Besler DMB
    Beckerman Cameron
    Zusi Donovan Shea
    Johnannsson

Bench: Rimando, Orozco, Castillo, Feilhaber, Corona, Gomez, Boyd

21. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As someone else mentioned in the 23 to Brazil thread, we will have about 8 friendlies between the end of qualifiers and the WC

2 Nov friendlies
    1-2 Camp Strudel friendlies (if we have them they might not really be for this cycle)
    1 March Friendly
    2-3 Pre WC friendlies

22. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Johannsson is 10x's the player at the forward position then he is on the wing. So if you want him and Altidore on the field together I'd pair him up top with Jozy in a 4-4-2 or have him as a S.S in front of Jozy.

Also I think Lichaj/Chandler are more 'realistic' experiments then Yedlin. But that's just my two cents.

23. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 November friendlies, Camp Cupcake, 1 March friendly and the pre World Cup friendlies.

So for European guys, November and March are pretty much it before the 30 man preliminary roster is picked. That not that many friendlies for guys trying to establish themselves.

And since as you note, MLS plays heavily during the October fixture window, I think it would be a good idea to bring in plenty of Europeans. We can still rest some of our big guns and focus on guys that have been out for a while - like Shea, Edu, Kljestan, Chandler, Lichaj - as well as guys that we are interested in but need more looks - like Johannsson, Brooks, Bedoya and Mix.

ckl26 repped this.
  24. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I will be so frustrated if Beasley/Parkhurst/Evans are starting these qualifiers. We've seen plenty of them, and we know they are passable options, but nothing more. I'd like to see if we could find some good ones. Please, please, please call up Klute.

25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watch Klute everygame, but don't see him as option in 2014. He has made leaps and bounds improvement in his first full year in MLS.

After that I would think Klute, Yedlin and Farrell will be in drive seats for those spots, Chandler I think is done USMNT wise.