Pre-match: USA v. Jamaica, Oct. 11, 2013

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your general theory. Leave told players, MLS players in the middle of key games, Euros struggling for playing time and gassed players out of these games.

I concur.

Okugo and Whitbread are no hopers, so I would bring in Orozco and bring in two of Gonzo, Besler, Cameron or Goodson depending on other factors.

Agree with your four, except that I would bring in Parkhurst if he isn't getting game time for Augsburg. This would help keep him sharp and maybe help him move. Parkhurst has shown he is too good an asset to just discard.

I am 50/50 on Edu as he seems to be going down. Cameron could use more time in the midfield and I would definitely bring Torres.

Nguyen is a no-hoper. Bedoya absolutely should be here and I would consider bringing in Paul Arieola for fun. Luis Gill might also be interesting. Brek Shea coming should be influenced by this club situation.

Magee is a no hoper, so I would bring in EJ. I would also consider bringing in one of Dempsey or Donovan, depending on the MLS situation.

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Sorry, we play the Big Soccer US N&A all-stars vs Panama.

3. richmondlaw

richmondlaw Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    I think Klinnsman's attitude will be that he still wants to win the game but he wants to put pthat pressure on marginal starters/subs/fringe players, and see if they can do it. Cemented starters like Dempsey, Donovan, Howard, Altidore, Bradley, Jones, F. Johnson, Beasley probably won't get called up. I'd definitely like to see Johannson and Brooks get the start.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  4. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #29 mike4066, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    I can see JK giving guys who need more playing time a run out but not really bring in many new faces.

GK:
    Guzan, Rimando, Hamid

Let Howard rest and give some Guzan some games. Rimando as RSL don't play during the break and Hamid by default (Johnson gets left with Chicago as they might still be in the playoff race)

CB:
    Gonzo (Jamaica only),Brooks, Besler (Panama only), MOF

Gonzo will pair with Brooks for the Jamaica match and Besler will pair with Brooks. MOF for coverage

LB:
    Beasley, Castillo

Liga Mx takes a break so we'll see both

RB:
    Cameron, Parkhurst, Lichaj or Chandler (maybe)

Evans gets left home as Seattle has matches. Might we see Chandler or Lichaj? I can see Chandler before Lichaj but I doubt we see either.

CM:
    Beckerman, Mix, Kljestan, Williams

Bradley and Jones are given some rest and Klestan and Williams are thrown a bone.

Wingers:
    Bedoya, Corona, Torres, Wood, Zuzi (Panama only)

Our regulars get some rest and Corona, Torres and other get to make their case for Brazil. Wood is brought in for cover on LW and to get him more familiar with the set up.

FW:
    Johansson, Boyd, and two out of the following 3 (Wondo, Gomez, Agudelo)

Its Johansson and Boyds' time to shine. I think one of Wondo or Gomez will be included and Agudelo will sneak in to see if he can provide anything this cycle.

OWN(yewu)ED and DjTannerr repped this.
  5. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    O/U on a Mr. Warmth red card...6 minutes?

Alexisonfire repped this.
  6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    The funny thing it will come from violent conduct after one of his OWN teammates strikes him.

Alexisonfire, tab5g and ImaPuppy repped this.
  7. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Surely after Andy Mead does his best Timmy impression and screams at everyone after an innocuous long-distance blast that goes 10 yards wide of goal.

ttrevett repped this.
  8. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Give a start to Guzan, JA Brooks, Johannsson, and select and play (as a starter or sub) Lichaj.

COMtnGuy and ImaPuppy repped this.
  9. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Might add in Edu for some bite, Gomez if he's healthy by then, and maybe Chandler in place of Castillo. Those are three players who have been first team starters under Klinsmann for significant stretches previously, and they probably deserve a look to see if they will continue to be a part of the picture this cycle. (I'd add Torres to that list as well, but Klinsmann already got a good look at him during the Gold Cup and didn't start him in the final.)

If any MLS teams are sitting safely in or decidedly outside the playoff picture by then (or if any team doesn't have a significant scheduling conflict here), we can give their standout players a try too.

10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with the OP about going with a lot of fringe guys, but like mike4066 pointed out, the MLS schedule will have an impact as well. Plus, we aren't settled in a number of spots (how to incorporated LD, Clint, Jozy) and some of the other spots could use more experience (DMB at LB, CB combo, and Jones/Bradley chemistry).

Still, I think we mainly go for fringe guys, with the exception of guys who need more practice together or experience at their positions (DMB at LB and the CB pairing being the main ones).

For the record, here are the MLS teams fixtures for that week (10/11 and 10/15):

10/9 Wed:
    Houston (Davis, Bruin, Clark) v Sporting KC (Besler, Zusi, Feilhaber)
    Seattle (Dempsey, EJ, Evans) v. Vancouver
    San Jose (Goodson) v. Colorado (Buddle)

10/12 Sat:
    Montreal v. New England (Agudelo)
    DC (Pontius) v. Philadelphia (Jack Mac, Okugo)
    FC Dallas (John) v. Chicago (S. Johnson, Magee)

10/13 Sun:
    Portland v. Seattle (Dempsey, EJ, Evans)

10/16 Wed:
    LA Galaxy (Donovan, Gonzalez) v. Montreal

10/18 Fri:
    Sporting KC (Besler, Zusi) v. DC (Pontius)

Full slate on the week-end, but a player should be OK by then if they play Tue.
    ===========================================

I think EJ is out for Seattle, and they play on both sides of the break. SJ will need Goodson for the PO push, Seattle will be pushing for the SS and home field in the POs (God help us), so Clint and EJ will be out, and maybe Evans as well.

======================

GK: Guzan, S. Johnson, Hamid
    Leave out: Howard

Time for Brad to get a couple games. But to have it mean more, and avoid a situation where a Howard injury would result with a GK who is unfamiliar with his CBs, I'd leave a lot of the first team D intact, especially the D.

---------------
    CB: Gonzalez (Jam only), Brooks (both), Goodson (Pan only), Orozco-Fiscal (both).
    Leave out: Besler (games on both sides of the break, fighting for HF/SS). On standby if someone gets suspended.

Go with Gonzo-Brooks for Jamaica and Goodson-Brooks/Besler for Panama. Maybe have Besler for the Panama match.
    ---------------------------

FB: Parkhurst, Chandler, Beasley, Castillo.
    Leave off: Evans (playoff push), Cherundolo (get healthy)

DMB continues to learn the LB slot. Maybe give Castillo some time as well. Good show window for Parkhurst if not getting time, and a chance for Chandler to earn his way back.
    ------------------------------

CM: Williams, Edu, Kljestan, Diskerud
    Leave off: Jones, Bradley, Beckerman, Cameron
    Maybe: Beckerman
    Mix and Kljestan deserve it. See what Williams has. A chance to look at Edu. If Eud simply isn't sharp enough, then go with Beckerman.
    --------------------------

WM: Bedoya, Corona, Torres, Shea, Zusi (Pan only)
    Leave off: Donovan, Dempsey, F. Johnson (rest for all, not risk injury)

Torres and Shea on the left, the other three on the right, or possibly centrally. Maybe give Feilhaber another look as well.
    ------------------------
    F: Johannsson, Gomez, Boyd, Agudelo (Pan only), Wondolowksi (Pan only)
    ================================

Both matches (19)
    GK: Guzan, S. Johnson, Hamid
    CB: Brooks, Orozco-Fiscal
    FB: Parkhusrt, Chandler, Beasley, Castillo
    CM: Williams, Kljestan, Diskerud, Edu
    WM: Bedoya, Corona, Torres, Shea
    F: Johannsson, Gomez, Boyd

Jamaica only
    D: Gonzalez

Panama only (send some others home)
    D: Goodson
    M: Zusi
    F: Agudelo, Wondo

11. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    ------------Boyd/Agudelo/Dempsey---------Johannsson-------------
    --Shea/Torres------------------------------------------Bedoya/Zusi--
    ------------------------------Mix-------------------------
    ------------------Kljestan/Cameron/Edu--------------------------------
    -Klute/Beasley------------------------------------------Lichaj/Chandler
    -------------------Brooks/Besler-----Cameron/Gonzalez----------------
    --------------------------Guzan/S. Johnson/Hamid--------------------------

I think this is who I'd call in. Provided if Dempsey starts I'd go 4-2-3-1. Sorry got a little lazy.

- I'd LOVE to see a Mix-Cameron CM...think that'd work really well and both are pretty much locks for Brazil. Mix advancing forward while Cameron in a more reserved role like he was vs. Panama.
    - Biggest experiments (but much needed) are at the fullback position. I'll go with Klute who's probably the biggest unknown but if there was ever a time t experiment, it's now. Then at RB we MUST call in either Chandler or Lichaj. JK states that it's not a commitment issue with Chandler, just that "other guys are ahead of him at this moment." When have we hard that before? (Donovan, Altidore, etc.). Furthermore, Chandler's coach said he sees him working hard in training to regain his starting role. Similarly, if Lichaj continues to impress he should definitely be called up. While we seem rather content at RB with Evans, we should ideally want a natural RB at that position. Added bonuses are both Lichaj and Chandler are VERY young but also provide lots of ability to move forward into the offensive half.
    - I included our top four CB's in this because I think we need to put the nail in the coffin at this position. Also let's get Brooks cap tied.
    - Shea should be 100% healthy by then. I think he's one of the last inclusions on the 23 for Brazil. His height and speed are insane and creates mismatches left and right. I think he gets good PT for Stoke this season as Hughes rates him very highly. He was livid when Brek got taken down in that Union match.
    - Bedoya is important because he's off to a fantastic start with Nantes. If he keeps it up I can see him taking the backup RW position from Zusi.
    - AJ's time to shine. He'll definitely be on the plane for Brazil. Wouldn't surprise to see him score multiple goals this Hex cycle. Yes, he's that good.
    - Dempsey MUST step it up or risk losing his captaincy. He's basically been a cone out there for the USMNT since June 2nd (Germany match). Sorry but as the captain you can't be putting in poor performances like he did this Hex cycle. No excuse that he shouldn't be his usual self come October.

12. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Primary mission for me: Cap-Tie Brooks and Arriola.

That is all.

13. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could see Tony Beltran again if RSL players are available...

EDIT: Or Luis Gil...

14. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind capping Arriola; he's starting to get more playing time than Corona at Tijuana, and is certainly impressing more. But losing Arriola to Mexico is not even remotely a concern.

He's getting Mexican citizenship so he can count as a domestic player on Tijuana's roster (Liga MX teams only have 5 foreign player spots, which is why they are recruiting so many Mexican-Americans now; it's a way to increase their talent base but save foreign player spots for higher profile South American signings).

Anyway, Arriola bleeds the red, white and blue. He tweets pro-USMNT stuff frequently. An example from last night:

Paul Arriola ‏@PaulArriola15h
    We are going to Brazil!

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK: Guzan, Rimando, Hall

straight forward save for the last person which is trivial who is brought in there

D: JAB, John, Whitbread, Yedlin, Farrell, Lichaj, Chandler, Spector/Ream

where i hope we are the most creative. We have the luxury of finding any potential stones that were unturned here. JAB we want to start both. Will be critical in getting him up to speed. John for me is the best MLS back we havent put under the microscope and i have been wanting for a long time to see him at the next level. Whitbread and Spector are quietly staying healthy and are on good form in an ever competitve Championship. Lichaj has been getting rave reviews at Forest. Id like to bring in a young upstart or two at right back with Yedlin and Farrell. And throw the hammer down on Chandler. Tell him if he doesnt go to these ones, he is done for the USMNT, game over....never again.

M: Kljestan, Edu, Shea, Bedoya, Diskerud, Williams, Wood, Rowe/Feilhaber

This is a good solid bunch here. Really wanna see the Mixecutioner given the car keys for a match or two. See if Edu or Williams are still up for it. Wood of course another youngster we would like to see. Rowe has been on an absolute tear this season and i wanted to see him in the gold cup. And Feilhaber has been getting good reports this second half of the season. Either he or Rowe for me to close it out.

F: Bacon, Agudelo, Boyd, Gomez/Wondo/Magee

Time to give bacon his shot. Agudelo has looked great too. Boyd is scoring goals overseas. And one of the poaching threesome of Gomez, Wondo, or Magee would suit me fine.

16. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    There aren't committment issues with Chandler. In the past? Yes. But not anymore.

17. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like 5 MLS sides have no matches between October 6 and October 17 - New York, Columbus, Toronto, Chivas USA and RSL.

LA has a match on the 16th - could see Landon, Omar etc called in for Jamaica and released after that match.

18. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    This is another interesting lineup. Pretty sexy.

------------------------AJ-----------------

Fabian---------------Mix---------------Landon

--------------Cameron--Sacha

Lichaj---------Brooks--Omar--------Chandler

--------------------Guzan-----------------

I am all for experimentation, but surround the experimentation with first 11 players to see how they will fit in when it matters. No use running out a completely new 11 that will never play together

Bajoro repped this.
  19. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, why did I let myself get captied to rec.sport.soccer so many years ago....???

JeremyEritrea, Bajoro, nbarbour and 4 others repped this.
  20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    You are like the Shalrie Joseph to our Big Soccer National Team. You went to the first third-world soccer site that offered you the chance when you were young and impressionable.

Lloyd Heilbrunn and VioletCrown repped this.
  21. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toljan and Parker would need to file their one time switch, which would need to happen in the next week. I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them suit up for the USA at some point, but it probably won't be in October. I'm sure they'll be receiving calls from Klinsmann at some point in the near future.

22. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To further hammer home the point:
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/08/episode-special-arriola.html
    44:35, Arriola answering a question about whether there have been attempts to switch him to the Mexican team:
    "Not anyone specifically or anyone big, just some fans who have reached out to me and said that Mexico needs me and that it would be great to have a player like me on Mexico. But I'm very pro US, and I owe everything to my national team, to my nation. Because without them I probably wouldn't be where I am today without the scouting and the looks, from when I was 13 years old to the U-17 World Cup, to the international tournaments, to all these things. And there's nothing better than playing for your nation and representing your country, especially on a World Cup stand."

So yeah, we're not going to lose Arriola, so there's no need to rush to cap-tie him.

Luis Suarez and Alexisonfire repped this.
  23. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Agreed.

At the same time, he's turning heads at Xolos, the same place Corona ISN'T playing. So why not at least invite him to camp and get him acclimated to the setup?

I'm not saying "CAP HIM NOW," but there are very reasonable scenarios for a WCQ callup.

Bajoro repped this.
  24. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you read my first post, you will see that I said I wouldn't oppose a call up. I said there's no need to call him up for the purpose of cap-tying him.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I want to see Yedlin and Arriola get called in. I want to see JAB get cap-tied. I would like to see Agudelo, Boyd and Johannsson get significant playing time. I want to see Green at least be called up. He might not accept a call up, but there is no reason not to call him up. I would prefer a young roster as well.