Post-match: USA v France

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by FirstStar, Jun 9, 2018.

1. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

We made 4. One was a forced injury sub.

Sarachan saved his final sub for the WC quarter final.

SCSAutism, Pl@ymaker and TOAzer repped this.
  2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Edit: for those who haven't been following the Siebatcheu situation, he's an American-born, France-raised 6-foot-3 center-forward who will likely be a starter for Rennes in Ligue 1 this upcoming season. He's only been on the fringes of France U21 and has probably gotten frustrated at that, just due to France's sheer attacking depth.

juveeer, KUSA77, Bob Morocco and 8 others repped this.
  3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Palmer-Brown
    Corona
    Yedlin
    Sargent
    Villafana

Five. That one was forced by injury is totally irrelevant.

4. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Did Acosta went up against a Top 5 side as a LB?

When did he last started for the US as a LB?

juveeer, jjmack, Patrick167 and 5 others repped this.
  5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Danilo Acosta, not Kellyn.

ChuckMe92 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Danny Acosta, not Kellyn.

7. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

YES, it was. He was reactive. Not taking the initiative.

Did France made like 10 subs. This was a friendly, what are you saving your last sub for? A guy like Weah could use 10-15 min in this type of game. What do you have to loose?

Patrick167 repped this.
  8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

My bad. Let's bring him into camp and see what he got.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    France made 6, which is all you're allowed in an international friendly. One of them was forced by injury, so by your bizarre rules, they only made 5.

Dirt McGirt, Roger Allaway and superdave repped this.
  10. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Maybe relative to the MLS pay he looks better? Again, I do not dislike him, I have just never seen him as a better than average USMNT guy. I think Robinson has looked his superior in the two games he has played.
    Acosta, IMO, has suffered a severe hype train accident that leaves him looking fair at best vs the hype. Maybe it tintes my glasses, just kinda a “meh” guy for the national team.

11. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can throw Parker in there with the “can’t pass” crew. Every time the ball was at his feet he either cleared it or kicked it out of bounds.

manq360 and SUDano repped this.
  12. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I don't entirely disagree w/you, but I do think the kids can take something really positive out of having tied (really beaten) Portugal in Portugal last November, and then travelled to France and nearly beaten them as well (clearly outplayed, but heck, a few inches different and it's 2-1). They can take something from that to build upon.

That being said, the Corona sub was beyond idiotic, the Trapp decision didn't play out the way Sarachan expected, but did play out exactly how we thought it would, making it kind of pointless.

Not playing Weah was just stupid and crappy especially considering his connections to France and his skill set and how it would've helped in the second half in terms of Keeping France honest.

And as ready as I am to get rid of him as well, especially the way he handled the Paraguay and Ireland matches, a bit of respect for how he handled a good chunk of the past 8 months is probably due, rather than a harangue, especially after today's shocking result. But yes, definitely time to move on w/a hire maybe out of the WC pool, instead of an idiotic hire we could have made 8 months ago.

juveeer, manq360, auf Amerika and 2 others repped this.
  13. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    What he said^^^^^

Thanks. Saved me a lot of writing.

ttrevett, dwsmith1972 and USA-Zebuel repped this.
  14. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Or.... you are not talking about K Acosta.

New rule:
    Dylan Acosta is now D’Acosta

Keylln Acosta is.... lol, not going to play for the USMNT so it doesn’t really matter?

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think your starting position in this argument is leading to some bias. Good for MLS? So you are suggesting he's like some Wondo or Davis before he's even capped?

He's 20 years old, only played 22 pro games so far. I think its early to make that sort of judgement, and I also completely disagree with it. But right now, he's the most in form full-back in the league. Team of the week two weeks in a row, and I think his overall talent level is that of the best full-back in the league. Keep in mind, Robinson plays in a similar level league, and its not like he was defender of the year in the Championship or anything like that. IMO having watched both play enough to get an idea of where their games are at, I think offensively, technically and athletically they are about even, and Acosta is considerably more polished defensively. But I like both players. I just object to the position you are putting forward.

16. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Ok. As long as everyone remains flexible. I just witnessed 4 years of two constant starters who weren't good anymore just because folks had them inked in as 1/2 on the depth chart, regardless of form.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  17. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things go on within a team that we never hear about, so for friendlies I usually don't care too much. But dang. Corona and not Weah?

Headscratcher.

Looking forward, with a little trepidation, to the next manager.

Marko72 repped this.
  18. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Thought you were talking about Keylln.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve seen a lot of him over the years. Good MLS left back. I’m not a fan. I’d be fine with him getting a chance but my perception is that Robinson is much better.

juveeer repped this.
  20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No, he learned to pass since coming out of college. Our cmids aren't the best at positioning for passing thru midfield. It's complicated. Parker can pass. The guy you'll see France was leaving open early was CCV. In a game like this, the cb is smart to clear the ball if he has any doubt about where the cmids are. Parker took quick, efficient decisions.

By the way, didn't Parker actually clear the ball off the line on the play when Steffen made the double save? I couldn't quite make it out.

juveeer and FLSoccerGran repped this.
  21. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Any cursory look at the player pool should tell you that Steffen is far and away the most talented GK in it. I’m glad he took his opportunity today

juveeer, russ and FLSoccerGran repped this.
  22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes, but not every talented kid manages to put it together, for one, and for two, Horvath is a pretty talented kid himself who for one reason or another just does not seem to have "it."

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    How many of those games were for his club team? I feel like a lot of people are using outdated data. He's considerably better right now than he was 1.5 years ago.

I'm not sure how a players level could be "good for MLS" at age 20 when that player is doing extremely well in MLS and he hasn't even gotten capped yet.

24. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe today. Maybe.

But there's no question to me when it's who has the highest ceiling and who's better in 2 years.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Steffen was trained at Freiburg. I was surprised they didn't keep him.

He had a tremendous game today. Confident, steady on his feet and sure of his hands. Was there a single bobble?

juveeer and FLSoccerGran repped this.