USA v. England IN-GAME thread [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by FirstStar, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AtlantaGunner

AtlantaGunner Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, that was a muppet performance. What in the hell is Bradley doing? Yep, it's a friendly. I get it. But how often do we get to play an experienced side like England, on the road? Why would we trot out a lineup that has absolutely ZERO shot of winning this match? There honestly can't be anyone that thought we could win with this lineup, was there?

That really was two hours that I'll never get back. Frustrating.

2. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Because his coach actually understands how to utilize him on the field, and that's not by isolating him the wing, giving him the ball, and expecting him to beat three players because no one else is going to come to play off of him.
    That would be the central midfield; which didn't really exist today. How many touches did the two "Destroyers(yawn)" have?

3. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    Sorry, but we had no midfield. What is up with this two defensive midfielder crap? Also, does anyone remember why Beckham wasn't called up by Capello for his first match? He wasn't game fit. We should not play people who have been riding pine (Eddie Johnson, Nate Jaqua) We also have to have a midfield with bite, today we had none

4. RedBullSoccer

RedBullSoccer New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Great job today BradleyS:rolleyes::rolleyes: An icon for each one.

5. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh god, that was embarrassing...

Honestly, we sent awful forwards... Those two forwards (Johnson/Wolf) are god awful... And we were missing our most explosive player (Donovan)...

Without him, we sucked badly... Sorry you had to endure that... :eek:

6. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well they should play better if they dont want to hear it:mad: and another thing....no adu starting? no jozy? its clearly obvious once adu got in we played a little better...also i dont know who this josh wolff is...he must plays for RSL or San Jose :rolleyes: Im glad i actually have to work when the US plays Spain

7. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    MLS is pretty good and getting better. Dont forget that half of that tide of shite was us!:eek:

8. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That has got to be one of the worst unimaginative, lack of urgency/effort, no offense games the US has played in years.

Johnson is a never will be and Wolff is a never has been. The both should be dropped from the National Team pool.

9. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, if I had more of an income, I would have seriously considered it. Then again, traveling that far for friendlies should be taken more to soak in the atmosphere of the country and of the game - because the quality and intensity on the field is hit and miss.

10. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

We were awful. And yet, you only scored 2 goals :)

11. zerkdave

zerkdave Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    Kenny, stop being such a self-defeatist WHINEY bag. We will beat Spain or Arg.

AAAHHH don't cry now, it is ok..

Reason: I sure hope the Wolff and EJ are done. Wolff for good. EJ till further notice.

12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes

and thank the lord almighty for that

13. wyastarr

wyastarr New Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Takoma Park, MD
    I'm curious, if you were a manager of team, would you base a player signing decision on one game?

14. joshisapoolie

joshisapoolie New Member

May 28, 2008
    Hartlepool
    Sorry, I was including us in that comment.

There was some level of expectation regarding the US.

I know better when it comes to England...

15. highflyerone

highflyerone Member

Aug 18, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that makes the whole friendly a waste of time, really useless in my opinion. I thought for sure our lineup was going to be stronger than it was today, for sure.

16. fighton2000

fighton2000 New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    When you don't have the skills to compete with the big boys you need the attitude. I 2002 Donovan and Beasley were too young and stupid to realize we couldn't compete, and did well. In Germany it was Deuce. Today only Freddy had the attitude needed to score. We need cocky, brash ignorance in order to compete , because we don't have the skills yet.
    Maybe it's a bad thing, mentally for our guys to play in Europe, at least on the teams they're on. Is it good for them to get beat by the likes of Gerrard and Rooney week in and week out? The Fullham, and Derby boys see them and think "Oh these are the guys that kicked our butts like 15 times this year". Is that better than thinking "I'm the sh*t, I can score at will!" (against Colorado)

17. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    No need to act like a douchebag just because your team lost. I'm just giving you a bit of perspective. You lost one of your best players, and playing in Wembley's a very difficult thing to do - even more so if the team's not even from that region and accustomed to playing loads of games against UEFA teams.

They lost a friendly. Big deal. Get over it. But there's no need to act like an ass. Or 'arse', if you prefer.

18. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Hi, Eddie Johnson. I'm here to place you under arrest for impersonating someone who cares.

We are woefully shallow. If our one very good guy can't play (or mentally phones it in.... imagine that) we are utter garbage.

I wish BB had nutted up and started Adu once it became obvious that Landon couldn't go. It would have been better than the BabyBradley + Clark debacle....... again.

19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    again, the warning was there and it was there for all to see.

We knew what was going to happen before the kickoff even started

Our team is useless without Landon Donovan.

Its even more useless with Eddie Johnson and Josh Wolff up top.

20. PeleismyHomeboy

PeleismyHomeboy New Member

Sep 12, 2006

Well, you all have the best league in the world, so by your good league/good national team theory shouldn't the England team you know....win something?

21. Brandon313

Brandon313 Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Raleigh NC
    really too bad to lose Donovan the night before the match. I honestly believe we could have seen a different USA with him. Unfortunately, EJ up front is a proven way to not score goals. I predicted either a 1-1 draw or a 2-1 loss with Donovan scoring for us. I hope he can make the Spain and Argentina games.

Also guys lets not kill ourselves over this, sure we got our butts handed to us but comon Josh Wolff? Eddie Johnson? this was not at all our full potential and that gives me some consolation about this defeat.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I predicted 3-1 and it was 2-0.

Here's my view.

We have a team of average talent. We'll beat the CONCACAF teams and the other teams in our "level" of world soccer. The Switzerlands of the world. But we're not an elite football team. Never have been. We lost today's game against England because our players aren't as good as the English players. That wasn't our full "A" team out there, but it wasn't far away. We were never favored to win a match against England at Wembley. They're better than us at every position but Goalkeeper. They started 5 players who just played in a Champions League final. Our centerbacks play in Belgium and the bench at Fulham (although he was just released). There's a gulf in quality.

2) As I said earlier, under the previous regime this would have been a series of games against China, Canada, and Guatemala. We really stepped up the level of games were playing, and we've gotta expect to learn some harsh lessons.

23. WKU_Philthy

WKU_Philthy New Member

May 3, 2006
    How does not being able to attack the goal help us get ready for a team (Barbados) that will most likely bunker us the whole time. If we are truely getting ready for Barbados shouldn't we be playing some one so that we can practice against the bunker?? I just hope to god we don't expect to score a lot with that empty bucket crap!

24. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fair enough, just watch out for them monkeys

25. goatnutsgoal

goatnutsgoal New Member

Jan 29, 2001
    On the street gettin
    Can anyone kick a free kick over the first defender?

What was Bradley thinking with Wolf and Johnson up front? how many goals have they combine to get hmmm. the same as me so coach but, me in.

It's sad as a captain we have chicken little Landon go back to MLS score some goals and stand over someone and yell all your head off. MLS HE HAS HEART playing against big clubs and countries he doesn't even show up.

MLS Landon's = 50 cent
    Landon rep USA in big games or friendly's people will watch = ice ice baby yahhhh boy !!!!!!!

The rest of these games I hope someone shows up and reps this country like a man.