USA v Ecuador in Tampa March 25th

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Shibb, Jan 12, 2007.

1. UFBeezy

UFBeezy New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Florida
    I can add to the ticket window horror story I'm afraid. I had never seen any live soccer match, let alone a US National Team match, and when this date was announced I was absolutely thrilled. I couldn't wait to finally see the boys play. Work, school and other things prevented me from buying tickets ahead of time and I didn't think that buying tickets at Ray Jay would be a problem. I have gone to Tampa Bay Buccaneers games since the stadium opened and have several times had to pick up tickets at will call and have not once had even the slightest of difficulty in doing so. Given my past experiences, I figured getting there about 30 minutes before kick off should allow plenty of time for me to buy a ticket, head on in and enjoy my first soccer match.

Boy was I ever wrong.

We got there, as stated, at 11:30 and saw what may well have been the entire city of Tampa standing in line in front of us. There were 4 of us which made trying to find people selling outside the stadium difficult. Half of us stood in line and the other half went to look for tickets. We were entirely unsuccessful and went up to The Press Box (great place to watch a game by the way) down Dale Mabry and saw the 2nd half there. Now I blame myself for not just getting tickets ahead of time and printing them off on my computer or getting them mailed to me, so that can be filed as a lesson learned on my part. However, the lack of ineptitude both outside and inside the stadium (from what I can gather from the beer line stories) is really pretty astounding and not at all up to the standards of how Raymond James usually handles things. If they can get 62,000 people in for a sold out Bucs game, several of whom are picking up tickets at the gate, then I don't see how a figure half that size would amount to such an incredible problem.

It was a very disappointing experience because, as I said, it would have been my first ever match. The 3 people I went with are new into soccer and also were very disappointed with not being able to see the match. We definitely were not the only 4 people in this situation and I really hope this experience does not turn off others who were spurned from supporting our national team. However, it was a great result and to those who went you were an absolutely outstanding crowd.

2. VA Beach Brigade

Feb 22, 2006
    VA Beach
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well just back from Tampa/Key West, sorry to hear about the ticket lines guess we missed that while drinking in the lot. We had a great time minus the few season ticket holders complaining that we were standing the whole time, but the usher didn't really care. The guy with the mickey gloves and outfit is Jose. And good job to the folks in Sam's Army section Jose and I didn't have much problem getting any chants started. And thanks to Bill Ward for the great coverage.

See everyone in Foxboro or Chicago this June.

3. Fulham South

Fulham South New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    GEORGIA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been taking a week-long hiatus from bigsoccer after getting back to Georgia from the game Sunday. Me and my crowd never made it to MacDinton's. We were already a wee bit inebriated and since I was the one who knew how to get there and I wasn't capable of driving or paying attention to anything for longer than about 15 seconds, we didn't make it there. Instead we stood on the balcony of our hotel room (3 drunk guys standing on a balcony about 7 ft x 3 ft and one sober guy inside supervising) smoking cigars and yelling at the crotchrockets speeding up and down I-275.

Luckily, I order my tickets right when they went on sell and had them mailed - so I didn't have to fight the massive ticket office line. I was a bit discouraged by the food lines at halftime. That and the fact that the Ecuador fans seemed to just cut in front of one another. Everytime I looked up, there was another yellow-clad fan joining the line in front of me. We missed the first 12-15 minutes of the 2nd half and we were standing in the concourse at the halftime whistle. That was poorly managed as well.

Overall, it was another entertaining match and a great crowd at the game. We've already decided that Chicago isn't THAT far from Atlanta . . .

4. Matthew J. Cardillo

Matthew J. Cardillo New Member

Jul 12, 2001
    Tampa
    Ok,
    Seems US Soccer pissed off someone who has access to a paper. Here's an article in the SP Times (North Tampa section). PLEASE note, the end of the article addresses how to attempt to get a refund. The conclusion is that it was US Soccer's fault. Darn it!!!, I was so hoping it was the Glazers.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/03/30/Northoftampa/Enough_blame_to_fill_.shtml

5. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I noticed it. But since it cost $2.50 more (if I remember correctly) to print my ticket than to pick it up at will call, I chose will call. But, I knew I'd be there early to tailgate, so wasn't worried about lines.

Fortunately, I did arrive quite early, so my wait was no more than 5-10 minutes. But the "print it yourself" option was definitely listed, for a price, when I bought mine.
    When I got there, I saw no dedicated will call line. I saw one line that said "cash only" but while I was in line, they took that sign down. I found out through word of mouth from other people in line that you could get your will call tickets from any line.

6. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    I've been to quite a few USNT matches in Florida over the past ten years, and this was the first one I've been to where Sam's Army had more than 100 people, let alone sell out the one section, which held 350 people.

This is just going to be a fact of life, until changes are made to how Sam's Army seats are sold. U.S. Soccer advertises the lowest prices for the supporters' section, so it makes sense for fans to want to buy tickets there, even if they're fans of the opposing team, since they know USA fans are not going to be hostile enough to intimidate them to the point they'll leave the section.

IMHO, U.S. Soccer needs to sell tickets in the supporters' section in a similar fashion that some other countries do. People should have to register with The Fed to buy tickets, and, those registered members who've bought tickets for the most previous games will get first priority for seats at each event. This way, those who've gone to the most games (shown the most "loyalty" to the USNT, if you will) will have a lot better chance at getting tickets for the Sam's Army section, weeding out the one-time ticket-buyers that support USA's opponent for a particular game.

Goodness knows that U.S. Soccer can't use the "ethnic profiling" method they've used in previous matches because that's illegal.

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Point Washington, FL
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good feedback Warren. Are you an active decision maker with Sam's Army?

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Point Washington, FL
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    Thanks for that it was a great read. I don't always agree with everything Wynalda says but I think he is great for US soccer. It's great that him and Rob Stone were so approachable that night.

After meeting the guys at MacDinton's my girlfriend was down right giddy with watching Wynalda and Rob Stone on TV during the Guatemala game. Although she said Wynalda looked much better and much younger in person. I'm not sure that wasn't a product of the amount she drank that night at Macdinton's. :D

I've converted a life long soccer fan with that trip to Tampa. Before she would put up with soccer on TV and going to the pub to watch games now she is looking forward to it. We should make it to atleast one of the Gold Cup games this summer.

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Point Washington, FL
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for reading the article.

I am thinking Boston or Chicago this summer. I'm sure we will all be checking back to stay in the loop.

11. canesfan00

canesfan00 New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Miami
    I was a victim during last week's fiasco at Tampa. My story or anger isn't any different from anyone elses. I sent an e-mail to ussoccer.org as some people had suggested and I got a phone call today from a woman named Theresa. I Didn't have a chance to call her back, but will tomorrow. Hopefully its encouraging news, if there is anything noteworthy I'll past it along, later.