Post-match: USA v Bolivia -June 23, 2024 - Copa America

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Jun 23, 2024.

1. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cannot take seriously anyone who says things like this. People just throw terms like this around like it's nothing. Do you realize the complexity of putting a true Svengali operation together, without any word of it ever leaking to the press, no disgruntled employee ever says anything. A player's parents leak kompromat from decades ago, but this USSF PUPPET operation stays cloaked in darkness. No documents ever get leaked, but there's a huge conspiracy behind the scenes to operate the coach like a remote control robot....by a board of soccer association members...and the idea that a few people on the internet just using their noodles figured it out!

The conspirification / brain rot of our society is probably the most disappointing development of the last 25 years.

goussoccer, wasdykec, RossD and 9 others repped this.
  2. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having watched him play for each program I can earnestly say there is a difference as a viewer. The circumstances alone dictate different personnel, preparation, and instructions. I’m confident you know that too.

3. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Brazil team is mediocre by their high standards. Colombia is a better team right now and a worse match up for the USA.

4. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    porque no los dos?

5. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Tim Ream have a blood pressure issue that caused him to be subbed? No, that was Ronald araujo…

But thanks for submitting a worst post of the tournament application.

By chance did you want to double down on Mexico subbing a center back?

tomásbernal repped this.
  6. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    The major differences are the relative team qualities vs their opponents which then changes the balance of defending and attacking he has to do. What he has to do is largely the same in each phase, what changes is how much time those teams spend in each phase. So because he isn’t asked to do anything different in any phase it is the same role.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  7. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all due respect, you just defined why he DOES have to do things differently between programs and why it’s not equal.

Someone else quoted that Reyna is working with Gregg on the NT 8 role and expectations.

Would you assume an 8 is the same no matter what? I really doubt that.

8. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You misspelled crapping at the end there.

porkrind repped this.
  9. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Ok, now that we have sorted everything out, on to Panama!

10. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Panama is not going to be Bolivia. Murillo is a good player and makes his team better. Pulisic and Robinson (plus either Wes or Gio) will have to coordinate well.

Uruguay had the same thing over Panama that most good teams have over the US -- better strikers and offensive guile. That's waht the US is still looking for, so tthey won't have that advantage like Uruguay did. I know it's fashionable to imagine the US will walk over Panama, but it was the fashionable thought before the nation's leageue semi against Jamaica that the US would cruise.

I expect a fight. For context, I expected to have no real trouble with Bolivia, so I am not just always paranoid.

Richards, if he plays, will have to be much better. Panama is fast and cna be dangerous.

Along that line, a don't think a shutout is the most likely result, so the offense will need to finish chances.

The team has scored only twice in the last ten games between the 46th and 80th minutes. This feels to me like a bit of a desert. I think the other teams make better adjustmetns at half time than Gregg and he doesn't do enough to predict or adapt to the other team's changes. Instead, the US relies on wearing the opponent down. It's not the worst idea ever, but it doesn't seem reliable in a knock-out situation. [The US has given up 4 goals in this period (twice as many for the math phobic)].

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you.

If we can avoid even the slightest hint of overconfidence, we’ll have no trouble handling Panama’s cream puffs.

rashaverak1961, neems and deejay repped this.
  12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we play them for a second time in this tournament it will be interesting to see how Berhalter matches up against another highly regarded Argentine coach as he did Tata. They are very different so no guesses on my part but he sometimes springs his own surprises. I don't think the game against Uruguay in round one is the one either will do anything major unless one of them upset in their second game making the third game a must win.US better not go in arrogant and slip on a banana peel against Panama. Another early goal makes a win a lot easier.

13. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I actually find Pat McAfee as fairly annoying when it comes to college football but ironically find his whole schtick somewhat amusing when he talks about the USMNT.

superdave repped this.
  14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Here's my take on your meaty post.

The Berhalter conversations are fine, but they always oversell the effects of coaches and undersell the effects of players. Look at Christian Pulisic. He's looking like a more and more effective player over the last year or two. That's not because Berhalter has unlocked anything in him or devised some tactical scheme, it's because he's improving as a player, getting a ton of minutes at his club and getting closer to his full potential as a player.

Pulisic's improved play is very much the effect of his coach at Milan. He has been playing on the right wing almost exclusively at Milan and towards the end of the season played some as a CAM and did well. Berhalter doesn't have the stones to play Pulisic like that and try new ways of shaping our attack but instead rolls out exactly what got us all of 2 goals in group in Qatar. I'd argue that the evidence is that Berhalter is coaching for his job rather than success with the media talking constantly about the Copa being a test for Berhalter remaining or not remaining thru 2026.

You say Musah is improving while not getting pt because McKennie is a fixture and Gio is more involved. You then say that the fixture McKennie is not playing well and Gio doesn't get p.t. at club. Berhalter seems to see Cardoso as strictly a replacement for Adams notwithstanding he played almost every minute at a very high level in LaLiga by most metrics while Musah was arguing with his manager in Milan and getting benched and moved around. McKennie was moved wide at Juve and Adams hardly played (I saw somewhere that he has played 96 minutes since the Netherlands game in Qatar). The guy who was playing good, in form football in the run up to the Copa was Aaronson, yet Berhalter played him not a minute v. Colombia and owise as a time wasting sub.

In any case, I'd summarize it this way: You say our players need to improve whereas I say Berhalter has to improve by trying new schemes and players or player/combinations. I have found the Copa demoralizing so far.

FanOfFutbol repped this.
  15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    back line? Ream is a good passer, ARob has been much improved and passes well in the Prem, Scally does know how to pass (he can't dribble) and Richards has been considered passable in the passing dept.

Now let's move to MMA - or maybe we should just drop it. Or drop Reyna in there so we have at least one guy in midfield who can pass or receive and move in traffic, etc. Watch Berhalter put Cardoso at the 6 to pass, receive and move, thereby throwing away what he could do in a double pivot or as a CM8.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm going with Berhalter here. I think if Ream isn't in there, he can't get the play out of the rest of the team that we'll need based on his evaluation of the other cb's. I.o.w., yes look for a pair that can work together but the stage we are at is so rudimentary that we have to start it after the Copa.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That Ream is a must to have a chance to make a Copa run tells you all you need to know about the status of our defensive players pool.

nobody repped this.
  18. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disappointing for who? Or is it perhaps the awakening of the populace to age-old control and manipulation of society and institutions for those in power to abuse those who aren’t?

It’s not hard to think that a coach whose brother is high up in the USSF could be a “puppet”. There wouldn’t need to be much paper trail to come to an agreement about certain things. No clandestine operations needed, just a few convos, smiles, and winks.

Keep your eyes closed if you want, but it is you who is a disappointment to us.

19. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is your are making an apples to oranges argument. Berhalter doesn't have the players for something like 40 weeks a year. Club coaches do and have way more ability then to tune their approach or even make major changes. Pretty tough for a NT coach to do that. As has been pointed out by others way more succinctly than I could. Berhalter has made a LOT of changes over the last several years. The problem is that most BS posters don't recognize that because they aren't the changes they personally want to see.

RossD repped this.
  20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Question #1 ... why? What's the intent of whomever is "controlling" Berhalter? One of the basic realities of dumb conspiracies is the motivation is so often completely idiotic. For a while, the answer of all conspiracy theorists here was that MLS was controlling it, but he's not rostering or playing MLS guys, so ... he's a pretty shitty puppet there.

Question #2 ... Jay Berhalter, Earnie Stewart, Carlos Cordeiro, the CEO (can't remember his name -- Will something or other) are all long gone from US Soccer and were all gone when Berhalter was re-hired. Who got him hired again? And again, for what reason? Who is this shadowy cabal and why do they care?

Pegasus and RossD repped this.
  21. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I LOLd when McAfee said we’re so good we’re going to win the Cup in 2026 and then win the euros in 2028.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  22. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don’t make shadowy cabals like they used to.

MSCGA!

RossD and gogorath repped this.
  24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The point is not to play MLSers, but to have your brother hired. So that you can help me find a job for my nephew. You scratch my back, and I scratch yours.

I can see that. Nepotism happens everywhere. I work for a company where the positions are filled internally, and the postings are made when we already know who is coming in.

The common wisdom is that success means hiring the best. Reality is not like that, though. The nepo hires are usually quite good anyway. If you're a smart cookie into molecular biology and push your son to get into it since early, and he has also comparable smarts, he's going to be a good hire.

There may be others out there a bit better, but your son is going to fit the ethos of the company as a glove, since he's pretty much similar to you and you've been working with people who are a good fit with you so...

25. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Well, no nephews were hired. And Jay is long gone and Gregg has been re-hired. So ....

ifsteve, RossD and gomichigan24 repped this.