Pre-match: USA @ Ukraine. March 5th 2014 *CANCELLED* ...or maybe not

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for your read on American-Ukrainian relations.

Winoman and Deeneaus repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  3. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Konkov is not the coach of Ukraine. He's the equivalent of Sunil Gulati.

5. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Ukrainian foreign ministry has plenty of pressing items on the agenda as it is, I imagine.

BostonRed and backpackpenguin repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    He's Federation President for life?

dlokteff repped this.
  7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, with emphasis on the life part

8. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I really wish that Nike had been able to work the word "daring" in there, like "and this summer we will be hard to miss in an all-white look with our daring new collar".

Suyuntuy repped this.
  9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    More pressing than maintaining the sanctity of a FIFA match date?!? In a World Cup year, no less?!?

backpackpenguin repped this.
  10. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read on Ukrainian news sites that FFU would have to pay around $100K (or more) to USSF for a breach of contract if they cancel.

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    They still made you say "Nike." (And now, me too.)

Obnoxious and bad marketing and product placement can be the most effective kind.

Nike probably pays fairly good money to be included in ussoccer.com's pre-match articles (especially when they are debuting a sweet new jersey, it really is the best jersey I have ever seen. classic Nike. all the best. Nike!)

Gorky repped this.
  12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Regarding the April friendly vs Mexico --

The only issue(s) will likely be with those clubs that advance to the CCL semifinals (as the first legs are scheduled for that first April mid-week as well).

(Same holds true for the 3 LigaMX teams also in the CCL QFs.)

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    [​IMG]

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Sadly, that's likely to be a problem only for Castillo.

(Although Galaxy has a chance to advance, the Xolos are not playing well. Cruz Azul and Toluca are playing superb footie, though, IMO, so I give the Sporks and Smurfs for dead).

15. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF website lead headline is still "Game on in Cyprus."

16. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vegas should have betting lines on the nature of protest goal celebrations that will occur in this match.

17. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    They ain't gonna score.

Protests are going to have to be confined to post-game jersey exchange when the world gets to see messages scribbled on Ukrainian undershirts and the Ukraine players get to walk away with the latest jersey from Nike and US Soccer.

18. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Sooo that game tomorrow...

AutoPenalti and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  19. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because somebody disagrees with your take on politics (and history) doesn't automatically make that person irrational.

Just because your post is purely about politics and history, however, does make it irrelevant in this thread.

20. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    To try and pivot back to talking about the game, I'm very interested in seeing the level of intensity on the field. There's going to be like 112 people in the stands, and the Ukrainians have every reason to be justifiably distracted. It's almost a no-win for some guys: if they perform well, it will probably be easy to say that they beat down a team that had no desire to be on the field. If they play poorly, then that poor play is going to be magnified by that same lens.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ukraine has an interesting psychology in football. They have a well rehearsed mental weakness, that when the game gets tight, the stakes get big and the final minutes tick down, they tend to find any way possible to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Nobody has any firm answer to why that is, but the team has consistently failed in the biggest moments and failed spectacularly when all eyes are on them and the expectations are raised. Many of there players can be quick to give up when the tide starts to turn against them.

All that said, I have no idea how this game is going to turn out from the Ukrainian players perspective. They could just simply not care. They are too distracted by events at home, they play passive, give up an early goal or chance and then simply go through the motions for 90 minutes. Or they could see this as their chance to take the flag, take the crest in the country's darkest hour and put on some sort of show for the people back home. Yes it's a friendly, yes it doesn't matter really what the result is, but what better way to bring up your nations pride and give a boost back home than to come out guns blazing on the field and win the game or at least run for 90 minutes until you collapse.

I don't know which route they will go, but I'm interested in finding out. One thing I do know is that this won't be a blood in the water Hungary-USSR water polo type match. Most of the Ukrainian players are from the western part of the country and there are only a couple from the far east. Right now the US is about the most popular country of anybody in most Ukrainians minds. It might only be temporary, but right now most Ukrainians see an angry Russian bear about maul them and the only country saying, "NO!, bad bear! That's a bad bear!" are the Americans.

22. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    This is also an opportunity for them to beat a World Cup team which they failed to qualify for so their could be some motivation on that end

23. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi all.

I've just deleted some off-topic posts, including some that attempted to rein in the the off-topic-ness happening (and my thanks to those of you who made the attempt, my having deleted your post notwithstanding).

In this thread:
    We will be discussing the Ukraine vs US soccer match and issues directly related to it.

We will not be discussing the pros and cons of US support (or lack thereof) for Ukrainian sovereignty vs. Russia.

We will not be speculating about the will of the Ukrainian people and what they want from the United States.

We will not be speculating about the will of US citizens with respect to that country's involvement in the events unfolding in the Ukraine.

Thanks.

MLSFan123 repped this.
  24. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Also, it's nice to play a team we lost to.

The two friendlies from which I learned the most about our coaches and players are the first Belgium and France friendlies.

Those were both telling loses. They told us specifically what our problems were:

1. retaining possession,
    2. weak CB
    3. no final attacking pass.
    4. no players in the box

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  25. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA