Pre-match: USA-Trinidad and Tobago, World Cup Qualifier, 8 June 2017

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Will the call ups be announce this weekend? I know they like to do them during MLS games and their are two on FOX on Saturday. Their is one on ESPN and one on Foxsports 1 on Sunday.

2. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have to be announced soon. There is a friendly next Saturday on June 3rd.

JJV1994 repped this.
  3. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Thinking a diamond 4-4-2 for this one. Bradley behind Pulisic, Johnson and Nagbe on the flanks, Jozy and Dempsey up top.

For Mexico, go with a 4-5-1 with Acosta and Bradley behind Johson/Pulisic/Nagbe and Wood as the lone striker.

Zinkoff and largegarlic repped this.
  4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wood should start both games. He's provides a skillset that makes both Jozy and Dempsey more effective. I think arena goes back to his original plan. Start Jozy and Wood together and Dempsey moves to a bench/super sub role which is perfect for him at this stage of his career.

rgli13 repped this.
  5. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    He's been hurt and playing on painkillers for a few months now though. I'd let him rest against T&T (maybe get 15-20 off the bench), then give him the start against Mexico--a game where we're likely to go with a more defensive posture and a lone striker, which Wood is a lot better at than either Jozy or Dempsey.

6. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he will be good to go. If his injury is serious enough as important as he is he will not be called in. If he's there we need him to play

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think it would be far more valuable to see Dax trying to win a gold cup from the dmid position than sitting on the bench in qualis'.

Footsatt repped this.
  8. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This touches on something interesting. What will arena do? Will he leave his second tier players who normally make the bench at home so they can play gold cup and not double dip or does he double dip.

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We should use the qualis' to find out exactly what kind of bet Arena is making on Nagbe, Acosta in cm.

10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well also find out about RB and chandlers place

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes will be interesting to see if American coaching actually knows the difference between a defender and a mid.

12. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I got to figure Yedlin will be our RB. But where and how chandler is used will be interesting. I got to think the whole Zusi experiment is over. Villafana is prob locked in at LB but i wonder if Arena will try Chandler there. Also originally it seemed the plan was gonna be Wood and Jozy up top with Dempsey off the bench. Does he go back to that or does Dempsey keep his spot in the 11. I think this may be the first full squad. I know players have nagging injuries cause it's the end of their seasons but I don't think any have it bad enough to not be called up. Can't wait to see the squad.

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get what you're saying but against weak teams the wide mid who can play passable defense may be a better fit than a stay at home and rarely attack guy. Definitely need to have some center mids who are able to cover for counters when an outside back is not back in time.

truefan420 repped this.
  14. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still haven't heard a peep about a roster (or leaks from beat reporters saying so and so has been called up) and the camp starts on Monday.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  15. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Dempsey should start ahead of Jozy at all times he's available.

CU soccer repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Roldan, Zusi, Bedoya. People may not like them but they do more than crowd pleasing

17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In general I agree but I could see how a coach could want to set the roles now. Dempsey shouldn't be a starter by the time the World Cup comes around. While I don't like Jozy and think a switch to a lone striker, Wood, would be better o could see us rolling out a 4-4-2 with Wood & Jozy and Dempsey being a super sub for Jozy at the 60 minute mark.

18. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, those two certainly do. They also confuse and anger the crowd, either with defensive frailties (Zusi), or by single-handedly killing American attacks every time (Bedoya). Zusi is good offensively, and Bedoya is a very aggressive, tireless defender, but both have pretty terrible flaws.

I'd rather we give young guys like Roldan, Alashe, and Acosta some time. McCarty too (not young, but new to the full MNT), I liked what I saw from the one game he was in.

19. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My 23 in no particular order:

GK: Howard, Guzan, Hovarth
    LB: Villafana, Garza
    RB: Yedlin, Chandler
    CB: Cameron, Gonzo, Besler, Brooks
    CM: Bradley, Williams, Sacha, Nagbe, McCarty
    AM: Pulisic, Fab, Arriola
    FW: Altidore, Dempsey, Wood, Morris (Dwyer or Zardes if Wood can't go)

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hopefully Acosta gets called up so we don't have to see him at GC. I believe Wood, Brooks are carrying knocks. I'd keep Arriola and McCarty for GC and let Nagbe and Acosta handle quali's.

For one thing, we haven't been selling tickets much lately so Acosta and Nagbe advertised in mid should help that.

21. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the roster isn't announced today then #ArenaOut

22. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Need to call in the strongest available squad for the WCQs. A starter can always pick up a knock the day before the game and if that happens you want to be able to plug in the #2 guy, not #3. If there's any concessions and horse trading that needs to be done with club coaches, the Gold Cup is the time to do it.

Footsatt repped this.
  23. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München