USA to rival England in bid for 2018?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Slater, May 28, 2008.

1. Slater

Slater New Member

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=539857&cc=5901

To me it is a bit premature since it has been so long since England has last hosted. I think a final at New Wembley would be fantastic. Don't get me wrong I would love for the WC to comeback to the US due to cheaper travel costs, but this has got to be a far fetched idea even though Jack Warner is everybody's favorite board member (note - sarcasm).

2. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I bet Warner (and CONCACAF) will put a deal in place with England: If the USA is eliminated in the bidding process before England, then they'll switch their support to England. Then, in 2022 England would support the US.

3. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a waste of money. The U.S.'s only chance is to come in as #2. There are so many other countries that have either never hosted, or hosted before us that should get preference. In addition, FIFA will probably take a closer look at Australia since that's another country where soccer isn't the most popular sport. I say we should save our energy and make our serious bid for 2022, not 2018.

4. nathanakata

nathanakata New Member

Mar 20, 2007
    MELBOURNE
  5. TeffersOz

TeffersOz New Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Shoalhaven, Aus
    Sep has made it pretty clear that he wants a European Nation to host in 2018, so much for the open bid!

6. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    I'm far from being one of his supporters, but in this case I think that he is 100% correct. The 2018 WC should go the a European country (probably England). 2022 and 2026 will then go to Australia, US or Mexico (either order).

7. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't see Mexico hosting it for the 3rd time before other nations have hosted it twice, or even once.

8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    This is an interesting article I saw on a thread on the US National Team Board about the battle between England and the United States for the 2018 World Cup.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=ro-worldcup052908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Although the article makes it seem like the fight is down to only England and the US, I wouldnt immediately count out the other major bids.

9. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The problem is that the list of countries outside UEFA capable of hosting the WC in 2022 or 2026 is very limited (alphabetically):
    1. Australia
    2. China
    3. Mexico
    4. USA
    If you stretch the list, you can add:
    1. Argentina
    2. Canada
    3. Egypt
    I probably missed one or two countries on the second list.

Brazil, Japan and South Africa could also be added, but I can't see any scenario which will let them host again in 2022 or 2026.

Unless 2008 Olympics is a huge success, Australia has the advantage over China. For the 2022 WC FIFA will have to decide if 3 out of 4 WC in the southern hemisphere is "acceptable". If the answer is no, Mexico might get it since a return WC after less than 30 years might be more unacceptable to some than a third WC in Mexico. Like them or not, you must give them credit for 2 of the best WCs ever.

If Australia gets the 2022 WC then US probably will have the edge over Mexico. If money is the overriding factor, then it will be England, USA, Spain, Australia; I hope that they don't go by money alone.

10. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    2018-England
    2022-United States
    2026-China (supposedly can't be in the past two confederations who have won it, and Australia won't win because there won't be three consecutive English speaking countries)
    2030-Russia/Spain/other Euro
    2034-Argentina/other SA

11. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    USA should definitely not get the WC until at least 2030 or beyond.

12. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Fifa and Blatter hate and despite England, so the US has a really good chance.

13. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    People should be made aware that FIFA will decide on and anounce the hosts of both 2018 and 2022 World Cups simultaneously. So the host of 2022 will have extra time to prepare and renovate facilities.

I think Warner will help promote an English bid for 2018 in return for English backing and funding for him to promote a US bid in 2022.

England are still favorites and have a lot of support for a bid in 2018 by the current members of the FIFA Executive Committee. These 24 people decide on the location of the World Cups. Jack Warner is one of them.

14. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Blatter has said he supports an English bid for 2018. Platini will vote for a European bid. Warner has now softened his stance against England. Thomson will vote for England. Beckenbauer has said he supports an English bid. Beckham will be using his publicity in the US to lend the support for an English bid.

The US bid has big stadiums and is advantageous to fans in America. The English bids have more famous stadiums which have significant reputations within the world of football. An English bid will also be more advantageous to fans within Europe and Africa. An English tournament is much easier for the fans to travel between venues than an US tournament.

An English bid for 2018 is the favourite.

15. shinzui

shinzui New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Gulf Shores
  16. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    with the exception of australia, their is reason to doubt the bids of any of these nations.

China- Maybe, depends on how this olympic fiasco ends. Can they host without incident?

Mexico- Yes, possible. But is FIFA going to consider them given their 2 previous hostings, hot weather, and likely corruption? Also, have any of the stadia been updated since 1986

USA- Hosted in 1994. Too soon? To Large a country (this holds little water Brazil is just as big really, though most cities are near the coast)? Which stadia do you use, the old large football stadiums, or the newly built soccer stadia?

Argentina- Brazil is 2014. Doesnt look good for them. Also, Uruguay may want a piece, and joint bids likely to be shot down.

Canada- Saw them host the U19 cup. They only utilized a handful of stadia and 3 were artificial surfacing. Cant say they'd be ideal.

Egypt- Hot boiling desert summer, do they have the infrastructure? What about terror element nearby. All decent questions.

It points to the fact that England and Australia will likely be considered for the 2018 and 2022 cups. So in 2026, that is when you start thinking, Argentina, or USA, given that Europe used to host it every 8 years, why cant another continent (S. America) receive the same treatment if the bid is right for FIFA.

17. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the 2018 Bid were to go to Europe, here are the top contending countries (based on who has the most stadiums of 40K+ and who are/could build new ones):

1) Italy - 15 stadia that meet or could meet capacity requirements. Only problem is that Italy hosted in 1990.
    2)England - 14 stadia that meet or could meet capacity requirements. Problem- three in London.
    3) Spain - 11, many need upgrades, two in Madrid and Barcelona

Those are the only three countries prepared to host the WC in 2018. I think Italy would not get it, leaving England and Spain to battle. England will probably win the WC bid if the Olympics go well.

18. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    The English stadia are much more modern and have much better facilities than the stadia in Italy.

19. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2018 host will be decided a year before the Olympics.

20. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    Australia has no chance for 2018. No way does FIFA go southern hemisphere three tournaments in a row. After the experiments of SA and Brazil, I think they're going to want something a lot more stable and predictable. England and the US fit that bill. I consider Australia to be a risky bid simply because they've never done it before. The Olympics is a completly different animal.

They have a better shot at 2022, although if they are announced simultaneously, that makes me think England/US or US/England.

Note: How big of a sham is the announcing simultaneous thing? They say it's so the countries can prepare...what nation needs 11 years?! Even South Africa would have it's **** together if you gave them a decade +. It's so Sepp and his cronies can grasp one more WC selection before the elections come up, and everyone knows it. What a crock. FIFA is the boldest bunch of liars I can imagine. Atleast the jackasses in government try to cover it up.

21. Funny that you think, as the thread suggests, that England is the sure place for WC stage 2018. Check out this thread: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14764668#post14764668.

Blatter himself invited the Dutch 1.5 years ago to come up with a joint bid!
    We (Feyenoord) are going to build the biggest soccer stadium after Nou Camp, and the plans are to even break that one. The Belgians are going to build big stadiums for that too.

22. Gandalf The Red

Gandalf The Red BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 23, 2006
    fixed it:cool:

23. Mad2Ad

Mad2Ad Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Leicester, Uk
    lol this did make me laff. your right goverments have experience in hiding things and try to pretect there image whereas fifa simply dont care. i dont think usa will get simply for the fact it will probably be in europe and with england annocing there bidding so early on it shows fifa that they are totaly up for it. if spain or someone limps in later on it looks less convincing i suppose.

my next 4 world cups i would pick are 2018-England
    2022-China
    2026-Spain
    2030-USA

i go for spain before usa simply as it will be such a long time since the world cup went to such a big force in world football. I think fifa will and should try to give europe 5 outa every 11 world cups untill other countries become bigger in the football world
    5 outa 11 would go like such

europe
    ROW
    europe
    ROW
    ROW
    europe
    Row
    Row
    europe
    row
    europe

24. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I'd say Australia has a pretty decent chance, more than the US anyway... but not like it matters. Pretty sure England will get it.

25. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    China has to make sure the Olympics aren't a PR disaster before trying to get the WC.