USA Starting Lineup

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Awe-Inspiring, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    My choices, from back to front:

Scurry

Reddick Fawcett Chastain Slaton

Boxx Foudy (def mid) Wagner (center) Lilly

Hamm Wambach

Expect MacMillan off the bench, probably in midfield. Sobrero is a possible Chastain sub if the USA leads v. Sweden.

Yours?

2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say that Parlow needs to be up front with Wambach, and Mia in a withdrawn striker role. So take out Boxxy to start, move FOudy to the R mid, and play a 4-3-3.

I think Boxx will have a hell of a cup, but she should be playing off the bench when we are up by two or three. Except when we are playing some real competition, in which case Heinrichs has her hands full deciding who should sit. Nice problem to have!

3. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    Works for me, although I'm not sure if Parlow will just get in Wambach's way; I'd rather have MacMillan (knee questions and all) than that.

I should have prefaced my lineup by noting that it was the lineup I was guessing Heinrichs most likely to play that I would like. Having for years advocated that Hamm be moved to midfield and given the freedom that Maradona was, I am resigned to not expecting it to happen.

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sweden is a good team BUT they do not have a diverse passing attack. They are a quite direct counter attacking team with a strong defense: At least that is the report I have heard.

If that is true going with four at the back and expecting the backs to get forward is a flawed attack as that allows easier adjustments for Sweden’s defense.

The US should simply play a 3-4-3 with speed up front for the first half then insert the big players in the second after the quickness has worn down the defense.

I would start:

Scurry

Reddick Fawcett Slaton

Foudy
    Boxx Lilly
    Wagner

MacMillan(She’s only good for a half or less so start her to get the max out of her)
    Hamm Milbert

Then early in the second goto:
    Scurry

Reddick Fawcett Slaton

Foudy
    Boxx Lilly
    Wagner

Parlow (in for MacMillan)
    Hamm Wambach (in for Milbert)

This holds the third sub for fatigue in the defense (Chastain for Fawcett)

Also either Boxx or Foudy can drop to central defense to provide extra coverage if the US has a lead.

After Mac and Milbert go as hard as they can for as long as they can Parlow and Wambach will be working against tired legs and should be even more effective.

5. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Philadelphia
    My starting XI, and some thoughts on substitutions:

Mullinix

Slaton - Fawcett - Sobrero - Reddick

Boxx

Foudy - Lilly

Wagner

Hamm - Wambach

SUBS: Chastain to spell Fawcett in central defense.

Parlow to add another offensive threat at the 60th minute.

Milbrett for instant offense if we're behind or tied with 15 minutes remaining.

I think Briana is terrific, but Siri was in better form at the end of the WUSA season. Tough tough choice. The world's two best keepers in the women's game.

6. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure Mac is going to get any significant time in this tournament, unless we're way ahead or way behind.

I just don't think she's really ready and is there more for moral and cheerleading purposes.

I could be wrong.

7. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    According to Scott French of Soccer America, the probable starting lineup is:

USA -- Scurry, Pearce, Fawcett, Chastain, Sobrero, Foudy, Boxx, Lilly, Wambach, Parlow, Hamm.

So that would be a 4-3-3 with Pearce on the right and Sobrero on the left. Parlow in the middle up top, probably as a withdrawn forward. Boxx starting.

Not what I'd have chosen. I still prefer Wagner in the mf and CP subbing in up top or starting at R midfield. Oh well, I guess we'll see on Sunday.

WOMEN'S WORLD CUP: USA-Sweden preview

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, the first game is under their belts. Anyone have thoughts on the line-up for the Nigeria game? I'd like to see a couple of changes purely for tactical reasons.

I would like to protect/rest Mia/Lilly/Foudy so that they are fresh for the NK game. That doesn't necissarily mean sitting all three for the whole game but maybe a half. I don't think we can afford to rest Fawcett given Brandi's injury.

I don't know the state of Slaton's knee. Maybe no one knows until game time. I'm almost inclined to keep her as a suprise for NK but I'd start her in this game if she's able. From the reports I read, it sounded like Nigeria lost their shape A LOT. Slaton's flank runs could really take advantage of this tendency (if it holds true).

Can Wagner deal with the physical play and still create the offensive magic?

I would NOT play Mac at all this game if we think we'll need her later in the Cup. She will have the largest target on her back and Nigeria might not even pretend to go for the ball.

I'd like to hope Millie could put in a full game of top level play but maybe she and Mia should split the game.

Ok, I haven't come up with a line-up yet. I think this post is long enough. I'll probably end up double posting, though ;)

9. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    My starting eleven for USA vs Nigeria.

-------------------Scurry---------------------
    Pearce-----Fawcett------Sobrero------ Reddick
    -----Foudy---------Boxx----------Lilly---------
    ------------------ Hamm----------------------
    ------Parlow--------------------Wamback------

(4-3-1-2)

======================================
    Subs if US is up by at least 2:

First Sub: Wagner for Parlow at 55-60min.
    (Move to 4-4-2)
    -------------------Scurry----------------------
    Pearce-----Fawcett------Sobrero------Reddick--
    Wagner-----Foudy---------Boxx----------Lilly---
    --------Wamback----------------Hamm---------

2nd Sub: Milbertt for Wamback at 65-70 min.
    ( Still 4-4-2)

3rd Sub: (Depends on the condition of players on the field)
    (Still 4-4-2)
    Subs if USA is up by at least 1 goal :

First Sub: Milbertt for Parlow at 60-65 min.
    (Still 4-3-1-2)

2nd Sub: Wagner for Wamback at 70-75 min.
    (Move to 4-4-2)
    Pearce-----Fawcett------Sobrero------Reddick--
    Wagner-----Foudy---------Boxx----------Lilly---
    --------Milbertt----------------Hamm---------

3rd Sub: (depends on the condition of players on the field) (Still 4-4-2)
    Subs if US is level or behind :

First Sub: MacMillian for Parlow at 55-60min.
    (Still 4-3-1-2)

2nd Sub: Wagner for Sobrero at 60-65 min.
    (Move to 3-2-3-2)
    -----Pearce----- Fawcett------ -Reddick------
    ------------Foudy---------Boxx-----------------
    ---Wagner ---------Hamm------------lilly-------
    ----------Wamback------- MacMillian------------

3rd Sub: (depends on the condition of players on the field)
    -------------------------------------------