USA Stadium For World Cup Qualifying

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by helpmenow, Nov 28, 2007.

1. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    The only other place I could see us playing Mexico is Hawaii. You're almost guaranteed a pro US crowd because most of the illegal Mexicans in the U.S. wouldn't be able to afford it (and don't take my statement the wrong way - you know what I mean).

2. Eli Cash

Eli Cash New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Liberty Bank Stadium
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ohio State has Wisconsin at home on October 10, 2009.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/ohiostate_future.htm

3. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh....still don't think it matters. The vast majority of those at that game came from out of town (and most of those from in town probably aren't OSU season ticket holders).

4. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are still plenty of legal Mexicans who can afford it.

5. MintyDude

MintyDude Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Seattle/Bellingham
    US vs. Mexico at Qwest would have great support from the U.S.

Hispanic or Latino of any race are 6.3 percent of the population, according to Wikipedia.

Chicago - 26.02% Hispanic or Latino(of any race)

Columbus - 2.46% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Columbus has less Latinos, but Seattle has a way better stadium in an urban environment... Qwest is the loudest stadium in the NFL and soon to be MLS, and would make for an amazing game vs. our fiercest rival. It's already clear there is major support for U.S. soccer based on Seattle's response to it's MLS expansion, and the turnout at friendlies like DCU - RM and Celtic - ManU.

6. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Well, Seattle is now my first choice. Columbus has completely F'd up their stadium by adding ANOTHER concert stage on the other end. That's going to ruin the great Sam's Army section we had during during the '05 Qualifier. :mad:

7. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you cats worry. We'll have Fort Lamar Hunt all ready to go for Mexico. Imagine how much the roof of the stage is going to amplify the sound from the bleachers we'll put underneath it. In the tradeoff we'll lose about 200 seats in the North End, but we'll just stretch it farther around the sidelines. No problem.

8. DoTheVillage

DoTheVillage New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    MintyDude is making sense...........

USA vs Mexico in Seattle

WEST COAST / PCNW/ USMNT/ WCQ?

it all adds up to SEATTLE getting a MLS team...

The best venue on the West Coast

Bring on USA vs Mexico

9. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    too far :) but keep dreaming... you may get the Bermuda game.

10. TCNJFan

TCNJFan New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Fairborn, OH
    You never know. I believe that the match in Columbus in 2005 qualified the US for the 2006 World Cup with three WCQ matches remaining. If the US qualified for the 2010 World Cup before hosting Mexico, I'm sure that the USSF wouldn't mind the payday from playing Mexico in Seattle.

You really can't predict anything past the semifinal round right now.

11. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    WCQs aren't about paydays; they are about qualifying for the World Cup.

Columbus has shown that they can host a US-Mexico game with a pr-US crowd. If it ain't broke; don't fix it.

12. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    In all likelihood, the only way we could already be qualified by the time we play Mexico at home is if A) they're our last, or 2nd to last home qualifier, and B) we have an incredible run out of the gates.

But, even if that were the case, the game itself would already be scheduled, and a venue almost certainly chosen, prior to us qualifying. I see no way that USSF would say "Well, we scheduled the US v. Mexico match for Columbus months ago, and the game is only a month away, but since the US qualified last week by beating Honduras, we might as well change that qualifier to a larger stadium in a completely different part of the country. I am sure that won't cause a problem for the 25,000 fans who have tickets, hotel rooms, and travel plans to get to Columbus. It won't be any problem for them to get to Seattle now. And it certainly won't be any problem with the venue itself--I mean, sure, we have a contract with Crew Stadium, but I don't think they would be upset if we backed out on them."

Columbus was chosen in 2001 because it was a February match, and we wanted to use the cold weather to our advantage.

Columbus was chosen in 2005, because we won the 2001 match, and wanted to use that psychological advantage.

At this point, that psychological advantage has only gotten bigger. No reason to change that, especially under a "last minute" arrangement as you suggest.

13. TCNJFan

TCNJFan New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Fairborn, OH
    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2008/01/on_the_usa_front.html

Steven Goff reports that the Home Depot Center is apparently at the top of the list for both the second round match (Barbados/Dominica) and the Cuba match.

While I believe another venue should get the second round match (either the northwest or southeast, depending on the financial capabilites of our opponent), I wouldn't be too disappointed about that match in LA.

Cuba in LA would just be ridiculous. The US has to go to T&T four days later, there would be no possible temperature advantage, excessive travel for players in Europe, LA would be getting the MLS Cup a month later. There are just so many negatives.

14. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Chicago for Cuba??

15. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    I said in another thread, I think the US could stay in the Southeast for Cuba, so that they still have relatively short travel to T&T, but get away from Miami.

The cities that come to mind would be:

Tampa, at Raymond James Stadium, which has given good support to the Nats;

Orlando, at Brighthouse Field, UCF's newly completed football stadium. I don't know for sure that it's got a big enough surface for a soccer field, but if it does, it's a great new facility and a market that the national team hasn't played in for a long while;

Municipal stadium in Jacksonville, the Jaguars' home. Has the same concerns about pitch size. Otherwise, would be a good fit, and since the Jags have had to block some sections off at their own games because they can't fill it, I am sure they'd like a chance to host another event that may generate revenue;

or Atlanta. This would be the biggest city of the ones that come to mind, and it would also be fairly easy for people from other parts of the country to get to. The game could be played at Bobby Dodd Stadium on the Ga. Tech. campus, which is where their WUSA team played, so the field surface is big enough. If Atlanta's MLS bid is alive and kicking, then trying to host something like this could definitely help.

Other than these, Chicago would be fine, but they've definitely had their share of the Nats lately.

16. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the eternal words of Stone Cold Steve Austin, "Oh give me a hell yeah!!" Imagine, two years in a row with three USMNT matches at the HDC. Eat your heart out Columbus, Landover, and Foxboro.

17. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, kiddo. We still get the only one that really matters.

18. studloans

studloans Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Kingwood, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If everyone's opinion is correct, then the only chance of Houston getting a qualifyer is if Canada makes it to the qualifying round???

19. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubt it, then the game would have to be moved to The Rob.

20. DoTheVillage

DoTheVillage New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Don't count out Gitmo

21. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh...

Yeah, your right.

Though three chances to see US at the HDC for the second year in a row still calls for some kind of celebration.

22. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Crew Stadium vs. Mexico
    2) Rentschler Field
    3) RFK Stadium
    4) Soldier Field
    5) Qwest Field
    6) Reliant Stadium/Cowboys new Stadium
    7) HDC
    8) Red Bull Park- if done
    9) RSL Stadium- if done
    10) Raymond James Stadium

We need to play some games in SSS to promote them.

23. DoTheVillage

DoTheVillage New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    USSoccer should fill stadiums with adoring fans. The bigger the better..... that should be USSoccer's mantra.

Imagine England booking the cricket ground in Milton Keanes for a WCC with Holland.

How can USSOCCER build brand loyalty amongst its fans while hiding the product from them?

24. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine England booking Wembley for a cricket match with India and the crowd is 75% Indian. Doesn't make much sense, now does it?

25. DoTheVillage

DoTheVillage New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    In that case India is a far better team, while Mexico isn't.