USA Squad vs. Brazil

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Kevin8833, Sep 3, 2007.

1. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    when's the game? I think I might be obligued to cheer for the U.S. to not get killed.;) Since I was born here, it would be kind of shameful.

2. Batcave Brigade

Batcave Brigade New Member

Aug 11, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I am happy to have a proven goal scorer like Wolf back. We could have used a couple veterns like him in the Copa Anarchy rather than throwing our young players to the wolves and destroying their confidence.

3. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Why Altidore is not even on the bench...Is he injure?

4. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes

5. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Speaking of 3rd or 4th teams that is what we sent to Copa. Not relevant.

6. AngryMobRun

AngryMobRun Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston/Dallas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Brasilian friend says that brazil will win 4-0. What do u have to say about his prediction? I personally think that arnaud's style is suitable to score on a brazilian style team and that good old donovan, dempsey, feilhaber, spector, and beasley thrive on teams with this style. Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but i would bet money that brazil is in for a surprise.

As an enlisted marine, not an officer like all the wonderfully educated people on this message board, I think the USA has picked the right match at the right time. Either we will win and gain respect and popularity in the sport, or we will lose and build a new foundation for our team to defeat the best.

Dont tell me Bob Bradley isnt hoping to win the 2010 tournament. The hype has probably led him to believe that vicory is possible. Whatever it takes, i think the man will try his best to win the world cup. We could very well be witnessing a catyclicmic even in history on September 9, 2007.

No Mercy
    Kill! Kill! Kill 'em all!

7. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why Clark isn't getting another cap at this point is astounding... He was one of our only bright spots at Copa and showed clear speed and skill with a great first touch... Also astounding is the coach playing his son in every recent match... I think MB has promise, but so do a lot of our younger midfielders - some more so... I guess it's good to be the coaches son...

Adu?? Is he purposely being left off these rosters at this point?? I hope he hasn't told told Bradley on the DL that he plans to play with Essien and the boys... After the U20, I can't see why we wouldn't be working him in unless Benefica is playing hardball on the issue...

8. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing you didn't read this thread at all. Clark was at both summer tournies, bringing him in again is asking him to forgo too much of his club responsibilities.
    And enough with the nepotism crap. Bradley is one of two/three midfielders starting regularly in Europe (Beasley being one, Dempsey on his way).

9. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clark has too many responsibilities to his club to play a friendly is his own country where he plays his pro ball?... M-Bradley played both tourneys as well and the U20's and his 'starting' responsibilities at Heerenveen don't seem to have impacted his ability to make this game from Europe...

Beasley and Dempsey - I have no problem with - two of the best players we can put on the field... M-Bradley, however, does not fall into that category... Unless your his Dad, evidently... As for the 'starting regularly in Europe'... so what... Didn't seem to help his play vs. Sweden... his passing was horrendous and slow.

10. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thats too bad you didnt get to see Clint in the US Italy game or the US Ghana game last summer, or countless other US national team games, because if you had , you would know that Clint has more skill and potential than any other US player, and definitely will be a key player for us in the long run.

11. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

First, Bradley played the GC and the U20's, NOT the copa america - while his team was in offseason / preseason. Clark played the GC and the CA in the heart of his clubs season, effectively missing a month and a halfs worth of games. If you don't see the difference, I can't help you. Houston has every right to ask that he be left with the club right now.

Second, H'veen has a break for the FIFA date. Houston does not.

Third, starting regularly in Europe does mean something. If we had a different coach and Bradley was still starting regularly in Holland and not getting called up, you and everyone else here would be freaking.

12. patt

patt New Member

Jul 31, 2003
    He played very well-best player for Fulham on the pitch. The English press said so, Bobby Mcmahon siad so, Sanchez said so , the fans-who aren't that found of the yanks, said so.

I can't understand why others are questioning this. You are dead on right.

13. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The summer tourneys didn't effect Bradley's time with his club team because they were on summer break. The Dutch league actually respects the FIFA International dates and the Eredivisie is on a break from Sep3-Sep13.
    That's why Bradley isn't having any trouble with club conflicts; he doesn't have any conflicts.

Rico missed 4 games for the GC. Bradley missed none.
    Rico missed 2 games for the CA (Would have missed 5 MLS and a US Open Cup match if they had gone the distance). Bradley missed none.
    Rico would most likely miss his game on the 8th if he were to be called up. Bradley won't miss a match.

Rico: 6 missed (potentially 11 if CA had gone farther & he had been called up for Brazil)
    Bradley: 0 missed

EDIT: I see HouseHead beat me to it. Thanks for the back-up buddy.

14. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair points... M-Bradley does appear to have been consistently more 'available' in recent weeks... also, on the 9/8 game the Dynamo have against RSL... I missed that on the schedule when I looked... which is why I why I thought Clark not being called to soldier was troubling... unfounded..

...my bad...

15. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries mate, I say my fair share of unfounded things here.

16. thediplomats

thediplomats New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to the website and have a question about the U.S./Brazil match.

My 12 year old son and I are flying in Saturday night to see the U.S./Brazil game and this is the first time either of us have watched an international match live and not on tv.

My son loves to get autographs and I was wondering whether or not it is typical for the players from either country to sign autographs before or after matches like they do in the MLS?

We have a couple of hours to spare after the game before we head back to the airport to fly home and have the time to hang around if the players are available but was wondering if this is something that is commonplace or not.

Unfortunately, we won't be able to go to the Brazil practice tomorrow where I think the chances for autographs might be more easily had from the Brazil players at least.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

17. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have seen both us mens and womens teams players sign stuff after the game at columbus by the tunnel as they left the field after the game. it was more some players decided to go to the crowd and do a meet/greet/signing as individuals more than any sanctioned organized thing.

i've never seen any player signing anything before a game. while they do usually come out for a a short training period before the game, they're mostly all business, and disappear again well before the game starts.

18. lprevolution

lprevolution Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Philadelphia

"Very good goalie with great potential" Mr. English scholar

The lletdown in the Copa America makes this lineup look curse. Yes, the excitment of young call-ups would be more exciting.

My trite expectations of at least some piece of interest from the american lpublic eads me to criticize one again the horrible scheduling practices of US Soccer and MLS. They scheduled this game accross from the opening game the DA BEARS.

19. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
    To be fair, absences for international friendlies often times are due to factors mainly out of Bradley's control. Many of our best stars have very serious commitments home and abroad as well as logistical/practical concerns making it difficult to get in to every USMNT camp; especially friendlies.

That said, I too wonder why there's such reluctance for certain key young players to get a look. Altidore and Adu stand out in my mind. US soccer is in desperate need of a strong central forward that can finish consistently now that McBride is gone. Altidore is certainly worth a look (at least). Sure, he's raw, but this is a friendly...the exact time we should be testing the waters.

The interesting thing about Adu is that his biggest sin was not living up to the expectations WE put on him. Take away all of OUR dramatics, and the guy is certainly on par or better than the current lot we've got running our central mid. Again, not even a look? Interestingly enough, we keep neglecting and/or slagging off Adu and the guy might just start playing for Ghana (rightfully) instead.

It's hard not to think that in some cases, the US Soccer Federation thinks a little too highly of itself in being so vehement about maintaining a hierarchy. The US is a decent team, but not great. We are not really in a position to be so picky. Bradenton Academy is great and all, but its not like we have the Dutch academies here in the US. Youth prospects need to be embraced from a variety of backgrounds, given a vote of confidence, and avoid being told to "know their place" behind the veterans.

20. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Altidore is hurt. Do you think he would have been called in if healthy?

21. t.z0n3

t.z0n3 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, why not? He's done well this season for club and country. Give him the call, let him have at it. If nothing else, he's a fresh face to try. The usual prospects haven't been all that great, so send in a young gun to do that job.

22. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Didn't realize that. He should be. He should have been called up for Sweden (if possible).

But that also leaves out Adu. On the surface, there appears to be a certain amount of tension between the USMNT and Adu. I wonder if some of it is b/c of all the hype and how US Soccer was trying to humble him. I don't agree with that approach at all.

We keep touting the U-20's and out of that world cup performance, guys are getting a look at the senior level (zizzo, sietz, bradley). Adu?? The guy had the best performance in the U-20 world cup.

Of course, his obligations to Benfica might be holding him up...he did just arrive. Who knows. Again though, Adu is 18 and thus far does not seem to be grabbing the attention of the USMNT. That's a problem. I still don't know why we're sitting on this guy. Adu should be getting called into every camp for which he can make it.