USA Squad vs. Brazil

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Kevin8833, Sep 3, 2007.

1. MLS_RM

MLS_RM Member

Jun 25, 2003
    chicago
    Josh Lambo is the future, No Altidore but you call fricking Arnoud?

2. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. MLS_RM

MLS_RM Member

Jun 25, 2003
    chicago
    Arnouds whopping FOUR goals in MLS? In that case why not call up Chad Barret or Calen Carr. hopefully Dempsey can score cause those other forwards cant do it at the next level.

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    there are no marking backs (zero) in a 4 man system like the USA plays. Marking is purely zonal. The Revs play 3 in the back which DOES use man marking and a sweeper.

5. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah no kidding, a guy who has no caps, no youth national team experience, has a lower production in MLS than Altidore and is 27!

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Altidore is hurt,Altidore is hurt,Altidore is hurt,Altidore is hurt,Altidore is hurt,Altidore is hurt.

7. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but it's just day to day.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    we don't know what that means. I assume that Bradley has talked to Jozy and has a better idea.

9. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, but i still dont understand why Jozy wasnt called in. Fire Bob bradley... :p

10. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    In a 4-man backline, the CB's will usually match up with players in their area...which are typically the opposing strikers. That effectively makes them marking backs.

In a 3-man backline, the central defender typically does not match up, but is left to cut out passes in a sweeper type role.

Parkhurst would get physically dominated if left to play CB in a 4-man backline.

However, if BB played a 3-man backline I think he would be superb. But they do not play that way.

11. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Bruce said "day-to-day" and then added that being as though Jozy is 17, there's really no reason to believe he wouldn't be available for the Chivas game the following weekend.

The Red Bulls need him more. Much like the Dynamo need Clark more, and Chivas need Bornstein more.

Do I agree with this? No. But BB is a diplomat.

13. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    And also, no game next weekend.

Think, McFly.

14. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Why?

???

15. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Why no Freddy Adu? The kid played well against Brazil in the U-20's. We need someone with flair (besides Dempsey) to match Brazil's superstars at midfield.

The kid keeps waiting for his real call-up. Let's stop pissing him off.

16. SAMBA

SAMBA Member

Sep 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Its easy to get excited about this game; you wouldnt be a real fan if you weren't.
    Still, people cant seem to get excited about a US roster that has tried and true written all over it when they see young exciting Americans currently in great form.

As a fan I also would like to see Altidore, Adu and possibly others as well; I felt it was the right time but the truth is I have no problem with the selection. This team actually gives us a chance to perform well.

Every single player on it with the exception of Davy Arnaud has proven they can still Bring-It or have so in the past at a high level. I dont know that it's the best one, but it's a safe one.

17. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arnaud is more interesting on the international level as a right midfielder, a position where he has played much of this season. I think hes worth a run out or two at that position.

18. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but I guess I'd rather see a younger player called in to get some experience like Davies or Kamani. I don't want to take anything away from Arnaud though, he's another one of those "feel good" stories with playing Division II and being drafted 50th. Maybe we could have even made a case for Harrington to have been called in to camp?

19. rockinrodrigo

rockinrodrigo New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    originally i felt adu should not have been called up so he could work in Benfica, but since he isnt really doing much but sit on the bench over there, he should have been called up, if he had a good game benfica might be inclined to use him more, but nah bradley calls up a 27 year old nobody

20. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet he gets called up for the Catalonia match even though it's not an official match, but maybe he'll play against Switzerland.

21. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    I've watched a few Wizards games, and Arnaud is starting to develop the game to go with that motor of his.

He's had a solid season, is in good form, and he'll push the hell out of people at practice. He has an edge to his game that is definitely in demand.

22. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well good, I hope he shows that all of this controversy was for naught and has a good run out. I can't see him getting more than several caps though.

23. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    Arnaud and Mastroeni inclusions are shocking. Neither can make it with the U.S. team at this point. Better holding mids than Mastro at this point include: Feilhaber, Bradley, Szetela, Clark, Beckerman, and I am sure there are others that I cannot think of right now. I understand Szetela not being called in, he has a new club that he needs to train with in an off week. Same with Adu, training with Benfica is probably better than him being in this camp. Arnaud's inclusion is simply shocking. Why not Holden, or someone else young like that? Hell, if we are talking about Arnaud as a striker, I would rather have Conor Casey in this camp. He is actually in good form with the Rapids.

And will the MLS ever be like every other league in the world and recognize these international dates and just chill for a weekend? Are they scared everyone is going to forget about them and not come back the next game?

Also, Wolff intrigues me as a right winger. He is in good form with 1860 and has always had good pace and ball skills. He just can't finish. Why not actually try him in a position where all of this combines to where he can utilize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses? Just like he is doing at 1860, where he is not playing as an out and out striker.

24. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I can think of is that in the last few games, Conrad has been banged up pretty good. Against the Revs a few weeks back, he limped off the field in the 90th minute. Against RSL last week, he was slow to get up after a collision (actually hurt, not faking). I did not see him play Saturday against Houston, but I gotta wonder if he just needs a rest.

Also, if there's one player on the Wizards roster who goes "balls out" and is a workhorse for our team besides Conrad, it's Davy Arnaud.

When the 65th minute rolls around, and EJ has zero shots, and the rest of the US squad has wet themselves several times over out of constant fear of the Brazilionaires, and we're sideline coaching from our living rooms all over the country, Arnaud should come and give an offensive spark. He most likely leads the league in "shots off the post." I guess Bradley likes his tenacity and drive.

At some point, Bradley is going to need a guy on the field who's going to take on defenders and run thru slide tackles (ala Arnaud), and not avoid them entirely (Josh Wolff, I'm looking in your direction). While Altidore is clearly more talented, I think Davy gets the call because of the mentality factor.

Now if we can just get Bradley to pay attention to Burciaga. :)

25. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was going to fly in for this game, but now definitely not. I've never been a fire this guy or fire that guy type of person before, and still am not. However, I can honestly say that I wouldn't be sad if this U.S. teams gets its collective butts handed to it on Sunday 4-0 or 5-1, in order to prompt some type of change. Not necessarily a coaching change honestly, but a change in this coaches philosophy.