USA Serie A TV Rights

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by ShoelessMan, Aug 12, 2012.

1. ShoelessMan

ShoelessMan In vino veritas!

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just saw somewhere that al jazeera purchased the US television rights for the serie a (as well as la liga and the french first division) for the next three years. they're creating a channel called "beIN Sport" to show the games in the US, but as of this time, the channel isn't carried by ANY major cable or satellite providers. i just visited their website at http://www.beinsport.tv and it appears to be true... (i was handed a beIN Sport flyer outside the roma-liverpool game at fenway park, but trashed it without looking.)

can anybody else verify this? i'm going to be ROYALLY PISSED if i can't watch roma games on DIRECTV this year...

i can't imagine the ownership group is too happy with this development. the last thing they need is for one of their major marketing strategies (building the roma brand in the USA) to go straight down the drain due to the inability of a majority of americans to watch roma games on tv.

2. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah FSC lost all their rights to Serie A. I think ESPN 3 will still have games, but that's all I know. Guess it's going to be all Russian streams for all us Americans. :(

Sucks because I guarantee we would get a lot more viewers this year due to Bradley, which could result in new fans.

3. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Direct TV WILL have this channel.

It's gonna replace GOL-TV on channel 620 come this wednesday.

Still......Fox had FSC and FS+........so I wonder how many Serie A games will actually be on.

The ESPN thing also isn't certain. I don't think beIN is sublicensing. The remaining games that aren't on beIN sports USA will be on their website through beinsports.tv for a monthly fee, which kinda sucks cause ESPN3 was free.

4. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I had a rant about this awhile back.

I don't want to switch to satellite. I dropped it a couple years ago and have been happy with the service. My I have one bill for my TV, Internet and home phone (I work out of the house a lot, so I need a land line). The last time I checked my cable provider hasn't picked up the channel. If I had to switch back to DirectTV just to get this stupid channel I will be annoyed.

.... Saying that I like the idea of the new network, it seems like they'll cover more football and FSC is garbage.

5. RomaWolf

RomaWolf Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    i just use the Russian website everytime lol also i understand it

6. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'm ok with paying a fee to have reliable access to reliable as roma streams. The market is failing to cater to a large section of (potential) customers through internet broadcasting rights. I have no qualms paying for a service or product, but I don't even have the ability to pay because it's not available. It's the same for NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. I can't watch my home teams, except for isolated games. I'd love to pay to watch online, but alas, that's not available.

Either way, I'm sure we'll have access to roma games, be it through ESPN3, a tv channel, or other streams.

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, here's what's official (there's also a thread about this in the main Italy forum)...

beIN Sport 1 has the rights for Serie A, Coppa Italia, Supercoppa Italia, Ligue 1, La Liga, nPower Championship, Copa America and more.

beIN Sport 1 will be on DirecTV, most likely this wednesday (maybe Dish too). DirecTV and Dish are currently testing the beIN stream, this has been confirmed by multiple people. As for other cable providers, I have no idea, there haven't been any official announcements yet.

beinsport.tv is the ONLY place you'll be able to watch streams as of right now. ESPN 3 lost the rights to Serie A, and it doesn't look like beIN Sport will lease it to them. This could change.

whill4 repped this.
  8. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek::mad: x 10^27. FSC coverage was unbearable, but it's better than squat. I won't miss the touch by touch analysis of the Stoke v. West Brom game leading up to kickoff of the Inter v. Juve game though.

9. BtownKj

BtownKj Member

Italy
    Jul 15, 2006
    South Korea
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    im just not happy all around with the beIN situation. I finally get back the the states after 3 years of being in Japan, expecting I'd finally get to watch Roma on tv again only to have this happen. I went with verizon out here where I live so now i can only hope that they pick it up..if not i guess its back to online streaming like i did in Japan =/

10. Wog Vader

Wog Vader Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Miami Beach
    Does asromastreaming actually let us stream games? I am stuck with Comcast (live in a condo building) and I'm preparing for the worst case scenario. Also, will Rai International still have the Italian/USA rights, or am I losing that option, also?

11. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    asromastreaming has nothing to do with AS Roma, I'm surprised they haven't been shut down yet.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to an article in La Repubblica, RAI International no longer as the rights to Serie A games for overseas. As of right now the only place to watch Serie A is either beIN Sport 1, beinsport.tv or through a stream for somewhere.

This may change, but I doubt it.

13. Wog Vader

Wog Vader Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Miami Beach
    Ugh. Thanks for the info guys but this is horrible. Of course, the most likely chance of this all being resolved is on August 24th to tortue OCD people like me.

14. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Anyone know the Canada tv rights for this year?

15. BtownKj

BtownKj Member

Italy
    Jul 15, 2006
    South Korea
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    beIN

16. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Pardon my ignorance, but, what's beIN?

17. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
  18. BtownKj

BtownKj Member

Italy
    Jul 15, 2006
    South Korea
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    not sure if you've read any of this thread, but beIN is the channel that has bought the US rights to Serie A, La Liga, and Ligue 1. i believe they have they also hold the Canada rights as well.

Forza_Totti repped this.
  19. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Thanks bud...i guess i don't get that channel as i just searched for any soccer on the 25-26th and i didn't see a thing.

20. ShoelessMan

ShoelessMan In vino veritas!

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    apparently, they will make some big announcements wednesday regarding which tv providers will be carrying beIN.

SoCalYid and Forza_Totti repped this.
  21. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Thanks...really hope we're not shafted here.

22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada is a different ball game, right now they don't have any deals worked out there. There are rumors that beIN could partner with TLN or Rogers.

Forza_Totti repped this.
  23. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    I wrote to ESPN3 and this is their reply...

"We’ll be sure to let our programming executives know that our viewers would like to see more Italian Serie A on WatchESPN.com/ESPN3."

24. BtownKj

BtownKj Member

Italy
    Jul 15, 2006
    South Korea
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    just dont see it happening right now since beIN has full rights =/

25. stugotz

stugotz Member+

May 20, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No more calcio on Rai Internazionale? I guess I'll be saving 7 bucks a month on my cable bill.

I heard someone mention its replacing GOL is that true for Canada because I have GOL now?

Rogers better get something done for Serie A...although 'The Score' would show 3 or 4 games a week and was the only channel I had broadcasting the games in HD. I assume they no longer have the rights as well?