USA Roster for 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by krazymunky, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I think between Lichaj and Boca, versus Boca and Ream, I'd go with the latter. I just think Ream brings more to the table than Lichaj although the comparison is not straightforward given the different positions.

As for Specs at right mid, to me this is similar to the three defensive mid experiments we've seen. Four attacking players are the better way to go and I have to believe that between Agudelo, Adu, Wondo, Feilhaber, Kljestan and Rogers we can find someone in decent form and not have to use Spector in an attacking position.

2. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    I wouldn't mind seeing some mild experimentation for Canada. By that I mean Lichaj at LB, for instance. I know we need to take all opponents seriously, but we can roll the dice just a little bit in the group stage.

3. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he would have still had a month's worth of rest? no? Strange, just strange.... anyway,, Dolo better stay healthy (knock on wood)

4. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yeah, he's scored some huge goals for United, but in a lot of games (even some of the ones he's saved us in) I feel the team would've been better served with Berbatov out there instead. Hernandez is almost useless in the build-up and can't really beat a guy on the dribble.

That being said, there's nothing stopping him from tearing the USA back line to shreds with the personnel we currently have to work with.

5. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Member

Oct 10, 2004
    any thought to playing Edu at CB? If I remember he has experience playing there and it increases the athleticism, distribution of our defense and decongests the midfield. just a thought.

6. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    I agree on Rogers and Kljestian, but if we're going to count Dempsey and Donovan as Midfeilders (as BB will almost certainly play them), I challenge you to name an Amercan striker who is in better form than Chris Wondolowski. While his lack of flair and limited future improvement prospects make Wondo unattractive, but that's not what is important. If it were between Wondo and Agudelo, I'd probably pick Agudelo, but BB picked both, and of the available US strikers not picked, not a one of them has shown to be deserving of a call, let alone more deserving than Wondolowski.

The state of the US striker pool (not counting LD and Dempsey is kinda in shambles). It may be that Davies, Agudelo, and Bunbury may be the final answer to that, but none of them are yet ready (except maybe Agudelo, but due to shortage of playing time, who knows?). There is a tendency among fans to prefer unrealized potential over current capability when the existing choices are underwhelming. Wondo isn't a proven international, and lacks flair, but he's scoring goals, and not tap-ins either, he's scoring great goals from various ranges and circumstances.

How many other US strikers are scoring goals (not counting the mid-field filling LD and Dempsey)?
    Jozy - no
    Buddle - Hardly
    Gomez - Some but lacking playing time and consistency
    Agudelo - hardly, but hardly getting playing time either
    Davies - injured, 3 from open play in MLS
    Findley - injured, and also no
    Bunbury - no
    Wondo - Yes 18 in MLS last season, 5 so far this season + 2nd in league for shots on goal.

I can understand the Adu inclusion on the grounds that in general, the US team lacks creativity and incisive passing, something Adu has, although what he is missing may be too much to give him a shot at starting. I hope he can prove himself at this level, and Gold Cup competition isn't WC competition, so maybe he will thrive.

7. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At some point soon I want to see a back line of (left to right):

Lichaj----Ream---Goodson-----Chandler

I'm very interested by Ream's potential and want to see more. I'm penciling him into my 2014 starting XI. But I'm not sure he's quite ready for starting serious matches at CB. I'm more comfortable trying a youngster as a wing back with a veteran inside than the other way around.

As to Spector, everyone was raving about his offensive contributions as a midfielder for West Ham, not his defensive work. He did play as a forward in his youth, before being switched to defense. Plus, he played just as much RM for West Ham as CM. And, Spector is an experienced international flank player, having proven an ability to get up the wings and hit nice crosses at the Confed Cup. I see him as a very useful RM in the US 4-2-2-2, where the outside mids don't play exclusively outside, but cut inside, too. I really don't see Spector as recreating the Edu-Bradley-Jones CM jumble -- he's quite different from Edu.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ferguson clearly didn't think Berbatov was better

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Sir Alex Ferguson also thought Jonathan Spector should be a right back instead of a striker. He's not perfect. :D

10. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly wouldn't put it past BB to play Boca at CB and start Bornstein.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha. So clearly Ferguson single handily set the us team back a decade.

12. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously. Those were my personal opinions, even Sir Alex is not above criticism.

Hernandez is hot right now, but he's had plenty of games this year where he's been invisible, too. Let's all hope he has more of those days for Mexico than United in the years to come.

13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I am pretty sure he did it on purpose!! Id like to imagine Spector would have been a much better striker than a RB.

14. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of Rogers you could call up Bedoya, Brad Davis, Convey, even Brek freakin' Shea is having a better season.

Bedoya is on form, tearing things up. After Bedoya's contract is up he should play in the Turkish 2nd division, maybe Bob will pay attention then.

Nothing against Adu, I want him to succeed but this call up is way too early. The Olympics or WCQ would have been more appropriate.

Bob should be on the chopping block if we don't win the GC. There's no reason to jump off a cliff but let's hope this cycle doesn't get stale.

15. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The off-year GC is not a relevant comparison.

16. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got nothing against Freddy and I hope he has some great games for us this summer. However, unless Bob is thinking about Freddy as the CAM in a 4-5-1, I don't see how Freddo fits into Bob's scheme. Freddy's not a winger and he doesn't play defense as strongly as Bob usually wants from his midfielders. 2nd forward, maybe (although not the usual speed option) or just an offensive spark off the bench as a late sub? Not sure how this will work.

17. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    what adu has cannot be taught... creative brilliance.. the ability to change a game with one quick move, sidestep, flash of brilliance... something the US team has never really had and desparately needs.

18. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    My opinion on Wondolowski isn't based on his MLS goal scoring record, but on my perception of his strengths and weaknesses and how they mesh with the rest of our team. I don't think he's talented enough, fast enough, or has a good enough touch for the international game. He's not fast, he can't create his own shot. He isn't a hold up player. I think I would have preferred Gomez over him in terms of selecting a poacher.

That said, my complaint is largely moot, as I doubt he plays any important minutes barring injury. I'd probably play Adu at withdrawn striker in a 4-4-1-1 before slotting Wondo in, assuming a disaster.

19. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    It wouldn't surprise me to see Edu playing some defense this Gold Cup. My own thought is that he could be the solution at left back.

20. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I think at best he's there to be a guy they can throw on if they're pressing for a goal late, or trying to break a bunkering defense. At worst he's there as a reward for getting his career back on track and to give Bradley a chance to see if his work ethic has improved.

21. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    This is not the time for a gift call up. The Gold Cup actually matters this year

22. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only circumstance in which I'd want to see Adu on the pitch right now is late in a game where we need a goal and nothing is working. Look, I think Adu still has big holes in his game, but he's good at earning free kicks in dangerous spots and offers something completely different than anyone else in the pool. I don't think he's a good 90 minute player for us, but a desperate late game sub? Maybe.

I wouldn't either.

If historic form holds true for Mexico we have little to fear from their high profile players. ;)

I absolutley think Bob should have called in Bedoya.

I agree. I would not have called him up.

The goal is to win the gold cup. I agree. But this roster isn't bad at all. With news that Chandler's club did not want him involved really the only arguments on the roster are over 2-3 players. That ain't bad. We can't all win the 23 tickets game.

23. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he does provide skills lacking in the rest of the pool that could come in quite handy, especially against low-level opposition. He's proved that in the past for the USMNT.

Rogers is the same deal, except without the whole "success with the USMNT" part. At the moment, Rogers is the just about the only American orthodox attacking winger with sustained club success (now that Beasley is spent), and he can play on both sides.

24. joe

joe Member+

Jul 12, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    only real beef is with klejstan over bedoya.

tho overall this roster makes me worry that we are regressing, feels like an 07 squad, except we already learned that a bunch of these players aren't good enough.

25. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    What do you see in Bedoya that makes you feel like he's a legit international player?