USA roster finally!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by scaryice, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Marquis de Sage

Marquis de Sage New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Yep, he's next to EJ when they're juggling. And I find it suspicious that Gaven isn't on that list given the fact that EJ references him in the very beginning of the clip...

2. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were five listed. Go read it again, noob. Besides that, Mastroeni and Convey (listed as midfielders) have played and can play as fullbacks.

Remember what a wise man once said: It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt.

3. datdood

datdood New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Melbourne
    Good shout with the 3-5-2. If the team comes out in this formation, I'd like to see a defender come in for a CM, and Spector move up. Also, I think Ralston coming in on the right for another CM and Martino shifting over would be interesting for the shape.

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Well than Ridge should have kept his mouth shut.

5. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    This is the biggest weakness in US Soccer today. BA can do stuff like this because he is the dictator. Not being deragatory. He is. He can do what he wants and he holds all of the cards.

If Stone gives out info BA will just cut him off forever and punish him, and because our press is so small and weak...he can! BA is just using the absolute power he has. His way, or no way. I'll show you.

This should not come as a surprise to anyone if you have been paying attention for the last few years. I understand Stone's point of view. He likes his job and is passionate about the game, but if he doesn't do what BA wants...he's screwed. He doesn't listen and puts out the list against BA's wishes he basically loses his job because he can't get any access anymore.

Before the BA guys jump up in arms...think about it. Is what I said not true?
    This is just the sitaution and it's not going to change any time soon. He holds all of the cards (power), so he makes all of the rules. Wouldn't you, or I, do the same if we didn't have to answer to anyone?

Easy to say we wouldn't from here.

CAliff, Albraight...shivers

6. datdood

datdood New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Melbourne
    Thank you for your wisdom. I must concede I am a noob, but I hope that you don't want to see Berhalter in our squad. Such a suggestion would simply contradict your genius.

A wiser man once said: "This is only a message board, settle down."

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    The Boston Globe confirmed the other day that Steve Ralston, Matt Reis, Clint Dempsey, and Taylor Twellman got invites to the USMNT camp. Of these, Twellman may or may not be available: he picked up some manner of foot injury in the Eastern Conference Final, and I've placed a request into the Revs to see if they can provide an update on his status. I've seen rumors of a foot fracture, but no confirmation to this point.

Took a look at the videos on the USSoccer web site, and can clearly make out Jeff Cunningham, Tony Sanneh, and Oguchi Onyewu in some of the training. Can't quite figure out who the others may be, although Ralston and Dempsey from the Revs are also seen.

Interesting to hear they're doing two training sessions per day...

The Magpie

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I like BA. I don't know if I would call it a weakness. He reminds me more of an NFL coach (Parcells, Belichek) or say a Bobby Knight, as far as how he runs closed sessions and talking with the press etc. Is it wrong? Yes.
    Can US Soccer do anything about it? Sure - if you want Steve Sampson to coach the team again.

Until this point he has gotten "a mandate from the people" as some bonehead from Texas recently said. He is only pushing around a handful of press, and it doesn't make a blip on the US Sports radar, except at this website. Until he screws up on the public radar or retires, he can continue to do it without fear of reprecussion.

9. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    True enough. Bruce Arena = benevolent dictator.

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a downer. When I saw the thread topic, I clicked on it with glee, expecting to have a huge smile on my face. Well, needless to say, that didn't happen. No Buddle??? Are you kidding me???? No Gibbs?? Are you kidding me??? No Gaven?? uggghhhhhh. Suarez? Albright? Hell, why didn't he just add Victorine and Cobi Jones as well!!!

11. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    My first comment is Soccer America should know that Specter plays for Man U not City. But its about time he starts getting some looks with the Nats.

12. Mikeymike15

Mikeymike15 Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Atlanta
    No offense to some of you but while I understand your rationales with regards to the release of player info, many who you sound like the parents of the kids on my ice hockey team I coach. Parents always think they know everything!

While the US MNT is not youth sports, its hard not to draw an analogy to coaching a youth sport. BA was hired and put in charge of the team, stop complaining when things don't go exactly your way. We've been winning, just enjoy it.

13. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a plot by Arena to keep the Jamaicans miss-informed! :cool: :p

14. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY

For you and I, and the players perhaps.

For the press...that's a different story. When he so clearly holds the key to your job I'm sure it's not very benevolent in their minds. In this aspect he has a great job. Where else in the world can a coach so clearly control the press.

I've said it before. I don't want hysteria, but we need to have a reasonable alternative point of view, and some sort of profile nationally before that will even be close to possible. At this rate 20-30 years from now.

Even though Waldo can be a bonehead, attention grabber and can ignore some facts I still loved his shot at BA. It was such a big deal because it never happened before. It was as if everyone was amazed someone would actually speak out against him.

One of my favoutite moments of the year...hands down. Made for some great fun.

Albright, Califf...shivers

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Whining is the privilege of every noncoach, echo mike. Sometimes we're even correct.

Besides, it is a Godawful looking roster.

16. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Why Convey? Let him earn a start for his club team before making him an automatic call up.

17. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    He has earned a start.

But perhaps you meant more than one.

18. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    it's a tough call.
    would you rather have good USMNT coaching and a weak US soccer press, or weak USMNT coaching and a good US soccer press?

can't we have both?
    sure in a few/many years. but i think the good coaching has to come first. then the press can follow in its improvement.

if this roster is incorrect or just incomplete, don't blame Ridge (perhaps Arena or US soccer only told him those names), and more will be called in later.

as for Stone losing his access/job because he reports what he knows, I find that claim dubious. he's just promoting the game on Wed and wants more people to tune in, but those who are this involved with the process will no doubt be watching anyway, so Stone's behavior is strange(r than normal).

Bruce does things the way he does because it suits him. if others follow along, or report poorly or incompletely, that's their doing. but it's silly to get upset at a coach or the press just because we don't know an accurate and complete roster at this point.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, good question. Possible reasons -

1) Arena thinks that Convey is truly important for winning this game
    2) Arena wants Convey to stay in touch with the U.S. National team, so that he won't have to "relearn" how to play with those guys
    3) Arena wants to boost Convey's confidence and perhaps his Reading fortunes by giving him a chance to shine in this game

These reasons strike me as unlikely, possible, and possible, respectively.

That said, it seems very odd to me to yank Convey away from Reading at this crucial stage in his Colaship career.

20. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Or maybe Ridge is wrong and he isn't being called up.

21. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    no gaven is astonishing to me. guy should be in every camp, whether he's to play or not.

22. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Another reason might be BA's prediliction for selecting the same guys over and over for seemingly no reason and overlooking some good players. If it hadn't been for Armas' injury before the WC '02 I wonder if Mastroeni would have gotten a sniff of the field, and Pablo was very good.

This reason explains the Albright/Convey picks, if this bogus roster turns out to be accurate. At least Albright is playing. Convey, in England's 2nd division cannot get on the field yet here he is. It is embarrassing for Bruce if you ask me.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    "Maybee with Gaven having a busy schedule coming with the u20's Bruce wanted to give him a little rest? The u20's have games 11/19 against Honduras and 11/21 against Mexico in Florida. I think they also have camps in December and January all leading up to concacaf u20 WYC qualifying in Jan. Though getting in the Jamacia game might be better for Eddie being apart of the u20 team through the nov. games into qualifying would be better for Sigi to get some team comradery and familarity."

I copied this from an earlier person's post for you guys outraged by Gaven not being there. I think the rationale makes sense. He and Sigi probably have an arrangement here. My guess is that Gaven may even captain that U-20 team.

24. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    clearly. as others have mentioned, sanneh is in ej's video. so something is amiss already.

have no columbus area residents tried to check out practice to confirm camp attendees?

in the grand scheme of things, isn't this time in columbus going to amount to nothing more than a camp for many attendees? between mls cup keeping nats away, europe keeping nats away till after the weekend, why not bring in some warm bodies (albiet odd ones, suarez?).

guessing the game day roster and starting XI won't be that big a surprise.

25. PYordan

PYordan New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Pamplona, Spain
    after looking at this list, I can only ask... Was CJ Brown not available or something?