USA Roster against Mexico

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by GiallorossiYank, Aug 4, 2011.

1. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Not that there are many other options, but that back 4 is cringeworthy against Mexico's attack.

2. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is boca out? otherwise i'd put him in instead of Orozco

3. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I guess I should of explained my repsonse more. I replied in the same context as person saying Shea'a the man- look at him score all these goals in MLS. MLS and National team duty are world's apart.

I never will say give up on anyone, but I think some guys should be ahead of him since they were given little or no chance/ shot before.

Only way Shea will learn to play international speed "of game" is call up's and praticing with National team, or moving to better league.

4. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orozco Fiscal is pretty aggressive. Expect him to bite a Mexican player's ear off if they get him pissed.:D

Lloyd should be able to keep pace with Dos Santos.

5. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I really want to see a Buddle-Donovan pairing. Those two were so good together in the MLS. They are the perfect pairing when you analyze it.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If you think Loyd should be able to keep pace with Dos Santos, watch a re-run of last weekend's ChivasUSA-Dallas match. Trouble................

7. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flip Donovan/Adu where Torres/Bradley is. Switch Lloyd for Edu. I am not to sure Bradley starts over DMB. That's about all for mow.

8. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    I am worried about Lloyd being in there. At 24 he is a second year pro player who is "inexperienced" and still "learning" going up against a 22 year old Dos Santos who has played in Spain, EPL & Turkey already. This is why the USMNT has fallen behind MX. We need to have more players going pro earlier.

9. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zach Loyd did play solid against Chile in Camp cupcake, haven't really followed him this year though. Anyone have an update?

10. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Roster for Mex

Get's it. ^^

Does not get it. ^^

+++++

All of the games for the next 11 months are try-outs and who gets called into which game, or what the results are...none of that matters. The objective of the next 11 months is to get a look at players, work on fundamentals, play around with different ideas.

Anyone who is expecting more than that needs to look at the calendar again.

11. anazarn

anazarn Member

May 27, 2008
    El Paso
    Club:
    CF Indios de Ciudad Juárez
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    --------------------Agudelo--------------
    -------------Shea------------------------
    ---DMB-----Jones------Edu-----Donovan--
    ---Loyd----Boca------Goodson---Dolo-----
    ----------------Howard-------------------

If the club situation isn't distracting Bradley put him in instead of Edu. Keep Shea on a tight leash and sub him early if he looks lost. Alternately, use Shea as a sub and let him pin his ears back if we're losing.

12. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol!

13. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Klinsie has pretty much announced he wants to play 4-2-3-1

and our team seems to work with the heavy midfielder/striker hybrid.

the real question is: how does klinsie want to play his 2 holding mids?

Is he looking for them to press the match and find the 3 attacking mids on the ground or are they defensive in nature? This determines whether we will be an attacking side or a holding/possession team.

If he is looking for holding mids, you have to think Edu/Bradley/Jones are the call, if he is looking for more attacking options, he might partner Torres back there with Jones.

I would personally like to see Dreadlocks in there not for him as a player, but it gives us all an indication of what kind of player he wants in the CM role.

14. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This crap is already getting old. Be interesting to see if he actually skips the club game too.

15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I'm looking forward to as his coaching reign begins. The German in him, the World Cup veteran in him, will he be the type to use tactics that look to counter what other culture/style the opponent will most likely stick with. Thus, getting Paco Torres out there to face el Tri. An opponent that is a very technical side. A very possession oriented team. Torres knows what will be required on the night and Klinsmann can look to leverage his MFL experience. Have him play in the middle of the park with Donovan n Buddle to be play in front of him, with Donovan a freedom to show up in midfield where needed. DMB n Adu on the wings n Jones playing in front of our back 4.

-----------Howard
    Dolo Goodson Boca Edu
    --------Jones
    --------------Torres

Adu-----Donovan------DMB

------------Buddle

16. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this lineup. Only change is I would put Adu in the middle and Donovan in the flanks.

17. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edu at left back? I think that XI would get killed defensively.

18. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    "Killed" is understatement. Edu is the least of that lineups worries.

Adu, Torres, and Donovan in the midfield. :rolleyes:

Sure, they'd be dynamic going forward. The only problem is that unless Jones morphs into Michael Essien of about five years ago, I don't have any idea how those attackers are going to get the ball.

19. dehrbinsk

dehrbinsk New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Lafayette Hill, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [lineup-4-4-2]DONOVAN, ADU, SHEA, EDU, BRADLEY, TORRES, BOCANEGRA, REAM, GOODSON, CHERUNDOLO, HOWARD[/lineup-4-4-2]

20. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not a bad defense and Edu played wingback in the CL. Torres, Adu, and Donovan midfield is probably the best the US can put out in the last five years. I have no idea what you would think would be better especially with DMB who can play for offense and defense and is a TRUE WINGER.

21. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    Is Donovan going to win the ball? Torres? Adu?

That's a lineup for when you're playing a team that you're much better than, and you really want to crush their throats right from the outset. It's not a lineup for when you're playing a generally better team (as Mexico is) that is far, far better in possession (as Mexico is).

For this match at this point, that lineup is, at best, defensively naive. Assuming you want to win, of course. If you want to just go out and roll the dice, then by all means go ahead. It's just a friendly.

22. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, i agree

23. RedBaron

RedBaron Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that Klinsmann appears generally predisposed to fielding a possession-oriented team with a mind to attack, I'd be very surprised to ever see Bradley-Jones-Edu on the field at the same time. Maybe if he tinkers with Edu or Jones as a quasi-stopper or something like that, but he's been pretty clear as to how he wants this team to play, and it isn't in a style that would logically support these three in the midfield. He wants as much technical skill in the center of the pitch as possible, which leads me to believe that Jones may ultimately have the upper hand with respect to any head-to-head battles with MB or Edu. In fact, given the longer-term style of play Klinsmann seems to favor, it wouldn't be a shock to see only one of those three getting regular minutes once the serious games commence (this isn't to say all three might not get minutes long-term; just that it wouldn't necessarily happen simultaneously).

24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's probably sitting out so that he CAN be ready to start off the season healthy. At least that's what I hope.

25. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league game is before the Mexico game. If he can play in that one Saturday he can play next week.