USA / Olympics tactics & lineups

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kolabear, Aug 5, 2021.

1. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm unsure if this will be a useful separate thread, but I'll put it here in case we want to discuss some of the overall tactics and lineup selections during the Olympics, without necessarily leading to conclusions on whether the US should FIRE VLATKO NOW (?!?!)

I added the minutes played of the field players through the semifinal, listing the cumulative minutes. In parenthesis are the minutes played in the semifinal against Canada. Comments anyone?

FORWARDS:
    Heath — 303 minutes (60 vs Canada)
    Press — 278 (30)
    Morgan — 257 (60)
    Rapinoe — 245 (30)
    Lloyd — 223 (30)
    Williams — 134 (60)

MIDFIELDERS:
    Ertz — 435 (90)
    Horan — 409 (90)
    Lavelle — 386 (90)
    Mewis, S — 200 (9)
    Mewis, K — 13 (0)
    Macario — 6 (0)

DEFENDERS:
    Dunn — 464 (90)
    Sauerbrunn — 390 (90)
    O'Hara — 381 (81)
    Dahlkemper — 300 (0)
    Davidson — 280 (90)
    Sonnett — 90 (0)
    Krueger (/Short) — 6 (0)

In the quarterfinal vs Netherlands, six American players played 120 minutes:
    Ertz
    Horan
    Dunn
    Sauerbrunn
    O'Hara
    Dahlkemper

Kevin625, edcrocker and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    With the exception of Krueger (and Sauerbrunn against Canada specifically)they seem to have fielded players by going alphabetically through the roster

Kevin625 and blissett repped this.
  3. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a complete falsehood and scurrilous lie... unless you're using the obscure runescript of some remote Swedish backwoods
    (tee-hee!)

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Franch
    O’Hara, Brunn, Davidson, Dunn
    S. Mewis, Eartz, Horan
    Press, Lloyd, Rapinoe

kolabear repped this.
  5. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    kolabear and TimB4Last repped this.
  6. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good link. At least Caitlin Murray succinctly summarizes some of the ways to look at the US team's failure to reach the gold-medal game. But it also reveals a very basic flaw with WoSo Journalism.

Why are WoSo journalists so eager to dismiss the idea that age played a factor at the Olympics? Is it because it absolves them from blame for asking the hard questions the fans have been asking them to ask all along?!

Ms Murray gives great credence to the notion that over-rotation was a problem, yet allows that age might've been a factor in Vlatko going for such a heavy rotation in the first place. Gee, duh, the two are connected, but let's dismiss the First Cause in our philosophical universe.

7. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas

I read this the other day, and the “not enough losses” stuck out. I usually watch all US tournament games, but don’t always fully watch all the friendlies. That said, padding our win/loss stats with victories in friendlies does give even a semi-hard core fan a false sense of dominance. I now realize a 44 game unbeaten streak in friendlies by a national team really means nothing if you’re not bringing it come big tourney time. And hopefully that will be the lesson going forward with the players who will be participating in the next WC.

kolabear repped this.
  8. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    One of the things that the article made me think more about was rotation (and I agree with oteres that it's connected to a whole lot of other factors like age, heat, # of games in a short period, marketing, etc.). Perhaps the "problem" was not rotation per se, but not establishing the most effective "lines?" I'm using ice hockey terminology here, but what I mean is identifying units or clusters of players that have obvious chemistry. Chemistry beyond choosing players based on skillset. I could see triangles of players who, whether through experience or instinct, play well with each other. This seems different than the way the coach used rotation in this tournament.

Thinking about players in clusters might also help with integrating newer players. In Macario's case, for example, is integration speeded up by having her play as part of a cluster of players who complement each other or share the same ideas about where a ball goes next? I would really be interested in seeing a Macario/Lavelle/Ertz center triangle, for example. And not just for 30 minutes, but deployed for multiple games in prep for the big tourney.

kolabear repped this.
  9. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I guarantee that the clusters sub approach is from his time playing/coaching indoor. That method didn’t really turn me off, like it does some, as in practice sessions you typically play alongside different player combinations.

10. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 kolabear, Aug 5, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    If this didn't make sense it's because I left out a "not" as in "it absolves them from blame for NOT asking the hard questions..."

While wondering whether and where to use bold or italics, I forgot to make sure of the most basic thing, whether the sentence makes sense.
    :(

But I think @mingyung is saying Vlatko didn't really sub using "clusters" which were complementary or used to playing together (hence the analogy with lines in hockey).

I dunno. I guess we can look but one thing stood out to me. The Heath/Lloyd/Williams "cluster" or "line" was one which worked against Netherlands. But against Canada, Vlatko broke up the "line" by playing Williams/Morgan/Heath — and switching which sides Williams and Heath were on .(did I get that right?)

That one particular lineup and the way Vlatko broke it right up the next game suggests to me @mingyung might be on to something

mingyung repped this.
  11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still cannot understand why, when looking at why the US did not win the gold, commenters fail to put as the most likely reason that it is nearly impossible to win a World Cup and then the Gold in the following Olympics. Its never having been done should at least give a clue and be worthy of significant discussion.

As part of this, when a team wins a World Cup, it no doubt is extremely difficult to make significant lineup changes going into the Olympics. For one thing, it would involve displacing players who were on a World Cup winning roster. For another, if the Olympics is seen as really important, there is not enough time to bring in and give enough game time to a significantly different roster. So the gravitational pull towards keeping the same roster is very strong, even if changes really are merited. This is not a problem just for the US. It appears to be a problem for every nation that has won a World Cup.

I think this should be the starting point for any discussion about how the US did. And maybe someone could look at all the World Cup winners and where they placed in the following Olympics. That might provide some interesting information in evaluating how the US women did in this Olympics.

sweepsit, blissett and kolabear repped this.
  12. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the minutes now in table form up to the all-important semifinal match vs Canada, which I'll attach as a jpg file

I think @mingyung 's comments about particular combinations may be one of the more significant ways to look at Vlatko's lineups & tactics, but for a moment I'm going to make a few random observations about the number of minutes individual players played.

Forwards:

by the end of the semi-finals, Heath had more minutes than any other forward..

... !?!?

Like... why?!

Onwards, comparing to Sweden. From the Caitlin Murray/ ESPN article
    Didn't look that way to most of us, did it? Sweden's forwards looked livelier, friskier through the semifinals which saw Sweden and the US take divergent paths, Sweden to the gold-medal match and the US to the bronze.

Jakobsson (332 minutes) and Rolfö (314) both logged more minutes through the semifinals than any American forward (Heath the most with 303 minutes)

Compared to Stina Blackstenius (258 minutes), Sweden's 3rd starting forward, Christen Press logged 20 more minutes with 278 minutes through the semis; while Morgan and Rapinoe had a very similar number of minutes, 257 and 245 respectively.

So it's good to know that Rapinoe can look good and lively for a while against a suspect Australia defense after playing about a full game's worth of minutes less than Sofia Jakobsson and 70 minutes less than Rolfö.

Maybe age matters. Maybe recent health and injuries matter.

USA Olympics minutes after semifinal.jpg

Kevin625, JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wouldn't take very long. I can probably do it off the top of my head. (ok, I had to look up a couple)

1995 WWC: Norway wins; places 3rd in 1996 Olympics
    1999 WWC: USA wins; places 2nd in 2000 Olympics
    2003 WWC: Germany wins; places 3rd in 2004 Olympics
    2007 WWC: Germany wins; places 3rd in 2008 Olympics
    2011 WWC: Japan wins; places 2nd in 2012 Olympics
    2015 WWC: USA wins; places 5th in 2016 Olympics
    2019 WWC: USA wins; places 3rd in 2021 Olympics

So, basically, the US's 2016 Olympics placement was the outlier. While the reigning WWC champions have never gone on to win the Olympics, they've medaled every time except in 2016.

Kevin625 and blissett repped this.
  14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what's most concerning to me looking back at this tournament is the defense, not the offense. The team conceded 10 goals; that's double the amount of goals we conceded in all of the friendlies post-2019 WWC until the beginning of the Olympics. The only clean sheet was the 0-0 draw with Australia! Previously, the most the USWNT had conceded in a major tournament was 7 (in 2007 and 2011).

Part of it, of course, I think is just the nature of the offense with the outside defenders flying up to get involved in the offense and then sometimes getting caught out. Another aspect of it, of course, is giving away the ball, unforced, in our own third or even the middle third with not enough players to cover. And the seam between Dahlkemper and O'Hara was definitely one that I saw exploited, and I think partly why Dahlkemper sat out the last 2 games. Only tangentially related, I'm not sure I like the zone defending on a corner, but I can't remember how many goals conceded were off corners, so I don't know if that's really relevant.

15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the US, by finishing 3rd this year, finished at the average and median of where World Cup winners have finished. In other words, subject to the caveat that the data set is small, they finished exactly where one reasonably should have expected.

blissett repped this.
  16. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I read this article yesterday and think it very lazily dismisses the age of the team as a factor (5/10) by citing that they've been the oldest team in the past.

"First, being the oldest team in a tournament hasn't hurt the USWNT before. The USWNT had the oldest squads at both the 2015 World Cup and the 2019 World Cup, and they won both. It's lazy to say that a team isn't good just because it's old."

Yes, they were the oldest team every year. The huge difference is that most of their oldest players were on the bench and not starters in 2015 (Rampone 40, Boxx 38, Wambach 35, Chalupny 31, HAO 30) and 2019 (Lloyd 37, Krieger 35, Long 32, McDonald 31, Press 30).

The average age of their rosters (field players only) was...
    • 2015 WC = 29y 3m
    • 2019 WC = 28y 8m
    • 2021 OG = 30y 1m

However, the average age of their regular starters was...
    2015 WC = 27y 7m *
    2019 WC = 28y 0m
    2021 OG = 31y 3m (avg of starters, since they rotated every game)

So, even though they were the oldest team at all 3 tournaments, the average age of the players on the field was 3 - 3.5 years older in OG21 than in WC15 and WC19.

That's a massive difference in ages of players that were actually on the field that was ignored or overlooked !!!!!

* In 2015, I used their starting lineup from the Semifinals and Finals (after benching Wambach).

JanBalk, blissett and kolabear repped this.
  17. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took @mingyung and his idea about hockey lines and looked at the main combination of forwards used by Vlatko in the Olympics, categorizing them (as in hockey) by the centers. So I found 3 main Alex Morgan lines and 5 main Carli Lloyd lines

ALEX MORGAN LINES:

Press / Morgan / Heath
    • Sweden 1st half
    • NZ last 16 minutes

Rapinoe/ Morgan / Press
    • Australia (group-stage) 65 minutes
    • Netherlands 56 minutes (last 26 of regulation + ET)

Williams / Morgan / Heath
    • Canada first 60 minutes

CARLI LLOYD LINES:

Press / Lloyd / Heath
    • 2nd half Sweden 19 minutes

Rapinoe / Lloyd / Press
    • 2nd half Sweden 26 minutes
    • Canada last 30 minutes
    • Australia bronze-medal 1st 61 minutes

Rapinoe / Lloyd / Heath
    • NZ 68 minutes

Heath / Lloyd / Williams
    • Australia group-stage last 16 minutes
    • Netherlands 1st 57 minutes

Press / Lloyd / Heath
    • Australia bronze-medal game 2nd half 20 minutes

The next step is to ask which shifts were the best or relatively better? I put in italics those shifts which I thought stood out as relatively good or at least better than what was happening in the rest of the game. Everyone should evaluate it themselves.

Of course, except for small stretches or individual plays, Sweden always looked better than the US, but that stretch when Press hit the post was better than the 1st half.

New Zealand was by far the weakest opponent so we don't want to give that game too much weight in our evaluations.

We don't want to give too much weight either to the 2nd game against Australia because it came after our gold-medal hopes had already ended. Plus Australia not having Ellie Carpenter on defense (due to red card suspension) just really makes their defense suspect.

Still, one pattern quickly emerges, at least from my perspective. The relatively better "shifts" were put in by Carli Lloyd-led lines.

mingyung, McSkillz and Kevin625 repped this.
  18. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I gave this post a thumbs up, but I think I'm equally concerned with both.

Against the better teams (excluding NZ), we got shut out 3 times out of our first 4 games (2 goals in 390 minutes) and Lynn Williams, who was our last string forward was the one that had the goal and assist.

Yeah, we scored 4 goals against AUS in the Bronze medal match with some quality finishes, but it was also against a very poor defense.

Our forwards showed very little movement off the ball all tournament, looked very old and sluggish, and were very poor at tracking back to defend. Let's not forget 9 goals called back for offsides and most of those offsides calls weren't even close (they were offsides by several yards on a lot of them).

kolabear repped this.
  19. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    After looking at the minutes for the players, for whatever reason, I don't think he had any plans on really playing Macario in this tournament. I think he was committed to just using the veterans. The six minutes in the New Zealand game was probably for the purpose of having her qualify for a medal. She clearly has talent from what I saw of her and I think he has big plans for her, and wouldn't be at all surprised to see her up top as a false 9 where she is badly needed. Her versatility and skill set makes her a perfect candidate for that position. From that position for Lyon, she scores and orchestrates a lot of their other scoring. She has two great players she works really well with at Lyon in Majri and Cascarino. Both are on France's NT, and are very technical and tactical player types.

Kevin625 repped this.
  20. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm not a great soccer/football analysis person because I haven't played the game myself and Im not an expert in all formation types and positions and who should be where and why. I guess I need to play my FIFA 20 to familiarize myself more with those kind of technical aspects. Anyway, here are my observations and people can chime in and offer reasons why or why not these observations make sense.

Rapinoe-Lloyd-Press seemed to hold a lot of chemistry and have some success. I also liked the Heath-Lloyd-Williams as well. I would have been curious about a Press-Lloyd-Williams line during the tournament to see what that might have done if we hadn't already seen it(I forget). I guess the pattern I see is both Heath and Rapinoe are the "creative" players so it made more sense to rotate one for the other in this tournament instead of having them both on at the same time. Williams and Press are the quicker players and Lloyd and Morgan are the death by dagger strikers though Lloyd seems to float back and forth a little more.

As far as I know, Alex Morgan was supposed to be the A-team CF and due to us not really connecting through our midfield, didn't really get linked up to many good looks this tournament. I also noticed Lloyd, while slower and older, was very carefully picking her times when to push and gesturing other players to do the same and when to let the foot off the gas at times. It was very fascinating to just pay attention to her the whole time she was on the field because she would go play back sometimes as a 10? and just feed pretty decent balls to the faster players making runs(whether they were successful or not).

Moving forward, quite literally, the front line can be replaced by more creative younger players and quick strikers. We have a good backlog of them in the NWSL and some still playing in the collegiate level. I have no doubt that as long as we have at least 2 years to get them in camps and playing international friendlies with top 5 teams, we can replace an aging front line up with a very dangerous new one.

I guess regarding the Olympics, it's always going to be scheduled the year after the Women's World Cup, its a shame we never started our Women's World Cup years to be 2 years before the Summer Olympic schedules and done an even year schedule ex.(1994, 1998, 2002, 2006, etc.), I know that's when the Mens World Cups are usually scheduled but maybe it would have been interesting to do a "Men's and Women's World Cup" and combine the two tournaments, actually that might be too crazy since that would mean like way too many matches to keep track of. Meh, well it was an idea for 2 seconds.

I also wonder why Vlatko didn't try a formation where somehow both Lloyd and Morgan are on the field at the same time where Lloyd could have perhaps connected with Morgan and Morgan just naturally putting the ball in the back of the net.

mingyung, Kevin625 and kolabear repped this.
  21. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether you are correct is the million dollar question. I have doubts:unsure:, you have none:thumbsup:. I guess we will see.

blissett repped this.
  22. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming back to this and Caitlin Murray blaming the over-rotation of lines as a prime reason for the disappointing US performance. Ms Murray makes a good observation that Vlatko kept switching up the forward line. (She's so enamored of her idea that she gives it a 10/10 on the scale of importance)

Breaking down the minutes by "line" and seeing how much "ice time" they had (to use the hockey analogy), it is pretty startling to see the difference between the US and Swedish approach.

The "Blackstenius" line with Rolfö/Blackstenius/Jakobsson was on the pitch together for 322 minutes in the Olympics, which is 56% of the entire 570 minutes Sweden played

By contrast, the most any US combination of forwards or "line" was on the pitch together was 21% for, A) the Morgan line of Rapinoe/Morgan/Press, and B) the Lloyd line of Rapinoe/Lloyd/ Press

I said before it's reasonable to wonder if this heavy rotation of lines is directly a result of having a roster heavy with players who weren't fit or in condition to play in the Olympics.

If the unfit, overage, injury-riddled roster wasn't a factor, then the logical thing is to blame Vlatko for inexplicable tactical choices and to FIRE VLATKO NOW!!!

Somehow all the Caitlin Murrays out there can't make these connections and leave us with just words words words for problems problems problems. Problems with no solutions.

Those of us who say the problem is the unfit roster (whether you call it overage or injury-riddled or whatever) are giving Vlatko an out. Because many of us suspect his hands are tied when it comes to picking the roster.

But how do you decide you're not going to give him the out, say instead the problem was his tactics, and then conclude he should not be fired?

On Twitter and places like that, I have no answer to people who ask, a) why did Jill Ellis get so much criticism while Vlatko gets a pass?, or b) why is everyone's head so far up Vlatko's @$$?!

Those are both more or less direct quotes from some Tweep or another.

Sweden lines_minutes Olympics 2021.jpg

USA lines_minutes Olympics 2021.jpg

23. CookieRules

CookieRules Member

N/a
    United States
    Jul 1, 2021
    Why would they bring up age when the top 3 finishers in the olympics were the oldest teams in the entire tournament! I think people should stop blaming age as the reason why they lost and start looking at the coaching. Canada and sweden coaches did their homework and made changes from the friendlies earlier this year. Vlatko didnt make changes he insisted on his preplanned tactics even when a blind man can sense that it was not working. He was unable or unwilling to make changes based on the game and insisted again on his preplanned tactics. He was happy to play for a 0-0 tie against australia in group stage. He constantly changed the front line when the real problem for the entire tournament was the midfield. Canada won not because they were the team that player the best football (that would be sweden) they won because their coach made the necessary adjustments throughout the tournament. Another thing against vlatko he was trying to think too far ahead instead of taking it one game at a time. A more experienced international coach would always say "we are taking it one game at a time" thats what Ellis said during tournaments. He forgot at these tournaments you only have one game and youre out this isnt league play buddy you dont get a 2nd game. He is not a national team calliber coach and the olympics just proved that.

FanOfFutbol repped this.
  24. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 kolabear, Aug 8, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    It's worth critiquing Vlatko's tactics but why wouldn't we keep bringing up age? I mean, after all Vlatko is responsible for who's on the roster and therefore the age of the roster. Isn't he?

(Isn't he?!)

There are others here who do the math on the age more precisely than I do (Hey, I have Elo-based performance ratings to occupy my time!)

But If you want us to dismiss age as a factor, show us your homework. The homework which should include

• The age of field players only, not goalkeepers
    • The age of players who are actually playing most of the minutes.
    • The median age or other measures besides the mean (which can be skewed by one or two exceptional athletes who play well past the normal age of soccer players)

Using an admittedly crude measure of the players' ages (i.e. not getting into months), the average age of the starting lineup (field players only) for the US against Canada was 29.4 years; the average of the starting lineup for Canada was 27.9. 1-1/2 years is a significant difference in soccer.

But if you look at the subs, the difference becomes even greater. Canada's two main subs were Deanna Rose (age 22) and Julia Grosso (age 20), while the US brought in Carli Lloyd (39), Megan Rapinoe (36), and Christen Press (32)

That means the average of the Canadian team per minute of play was 27.5 years old while the average age per minute of the US team was 29.8; a difference now of over 2 years.

This isn't to say we shouldn't critique some of Vlatko's other choices, such as his sticking with a struggling midfield. Some of us noted that while Rose Lavelle of course isn't over-age, she isn't the most durable player, which could exacerbate the problems of an over-age/injury-riddled squad that was bound to have to try to "manage the minutes" of the players.

It's beyond my ability to discern how much the lack of energy and the constant rotation of the front line affected the midfield. It's also beyond my ability to say how much Ertz's recent injury layoff affected a midfield we all agree was out of joint.

Almost certainly the heavy rotation of the front line was an effort to conserve the energy of the forwards and "manage their minutes". But some of us said this would help opposing teams to have more possession and be able to test our defense to a degree it wasn't accustomed to. But then naturally blame would fall on the backline and not on the forwards.

as I think about it, though, yeah pour on the criticism of Vlatko. You sure seem right about only making preplanned changes and not making any crucial in-game adjustments.

25. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of asterisks, you scared me with this one! I looked it up. Wambach was benched beginning with the Quarterfinals.

That's important (to me!), because the story I've been telling all along is she lost her place in the starting lineup immediately after missing the PK against Colombia in the Round of 16. I've called her missing the PK the luckiest thing to happen to the US at the World Cup in 2015