USA Next Game

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by phillyfan593, Mar 19, 2020.

1. phillyfan593

phillyfan593 Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Is it pretty likely that the next USA men’s soccer game will be a World Cup qualifier? Considering everything in the summer will be canceled. The first game of the Hex is supposed to be in September. Do you think CONCACAF will postpone the dates even if sports are back? Just seems crazy that the first camp back from all of this would be such a crucial match like that. Thoughts?

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m more concerned that it’s a built in excuse for 3G and it’s going to lead to an MLS heavy group

yurch10 repped this.
  3. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think this country is going to (continue to) be far behind the rest of the world, so if there are games played and if the pool were effected i would expect the opposite.

4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to have a friendly against Iceland, in Reykjavik, sometime in August. If for no other reason that by then I will be a raging berserker from confinement....and if one is going to go berserk it's fitting to do so in the last and best stronghold of the berserk.

Winoman repped this.
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Think of how Canada must feel about now.

6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    There are only so many windows. They need five windows to complete the Hex. There are only five in a year. Then they need a window to play the 4A v 1B game(s). Then they need two windows for the winner of that to play another Confederation. So that is eight windows.

The WC is in the winter, which is working out now strangely. Probably the one or two of the Fall 2022 windows will be sacrificed to make room for the WC. So, that leaves 8 windows possibly if none in 2020 are used. I can't see FIFA adding windows with club soccer trying to play a season and a half in a year.

I guess, if FIFA is ok with having the interconfederation playoffs in June/Sept of 2022, then CWCQ could be pushed off until March 2021.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. Our Hex opponents will have the same handicap we do.
    If we can get up and running, then our MLS players will be match fit by then.

Maybe we can have our Euro based players at a camp to help them get match fit.
    I do worry about some of our best Euro-based players that have been injured. They may be totally not match-fit. Pulisic, Adams, and company. With the German season cancelled, Adams will have potentially gone a full calendar year only playing in ~5 games total. Can we possibly start him at the #6 in a WCQing game?

8. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Yes. And if Dest, Puli, Wes and Reyna have a pulse, they can start too.

wixson7 and truefan420 repped this.
  9. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    why wouldnt they be match fit? when do you suggest this camp should be?

10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless their suck with 3G as their coach then that’s not true.

11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    If the scenario is that nobody plays club football until September, then the MLS players will have played 2-5 games in 10 months.

If MLS is playing in July-August, most likely the Bundesliga is also playing.