USA National Team Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by Eddie26, Dec 23, 2005.

1. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I don't think Reyna is a lock to start. At this point it's too early to know what he will be like in 6 months.
    I don't know why we don't play JOB (if healthy) at left back. Didn't he play there for Ajax??

2. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would O'Brien play right midfield? zif those four midfielders are playing together with no other help in midfield, it is a box, 2DMids, 2 AMids:

-------Reyna------O'Brien

-------Donovan----Beasley

--If we're playing with 1 DMid, the choice between Reyna and Mastroeni will be a tough one....Reyna is the better overall player, but Mastroeni is the better stay at home, tackle, toughness kind of guy.

3. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.

He has since lost any bit of pace he had to play out there, plus with his skills he is our best center midfielder, and a waste out of position. Lewis is better there, and less valuable to play his natural position.

4. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? and Who?

Berhalter is a very good defender for his club(and he is captain isnt he?)

Never been overly impressed with COnrad and his small opportunities with the Nats...very pedestrian. Berhalter has the experience.

5. Howard Zinn

Howard Zinn Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:p

6. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    This is the best formation I can come up with (assuming JOB will not be fit, which seems increasingly likely).

-----------------Keller
    Dolo------Gooch------Gibbs-------Lewis
    ---------Reyna---------Mastro
    Donovan-------------------------Beasley
    ---------------GAM
    ---------------------McBride

Donovan, while he hasn't really played much on the wing, should be a good winger, if you think about his skill set. He runs at people, beats them, and plays good balls through to the forwards. He'd be like Joey Cole, not really responsible for putting in a lot of crosses, but cutting in and drawing defenders, putting shots in, and getting hacked.

7. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like this, except mcBride will play closer to the midfield than Johnson, he is our target forward and nods balls down for allt he other players to run onto.

8. jankballs

jankballs New Member

Aug 7, 2004
    Seattle
    I dont hate it, but I am not quite ready to give up on Eddie Pope and I would like to see Bobby Convey.

But I need to watch the friendlies so I can make a more educated decision on what the lineup should be. Right now I still have the '02 roster in my head.