USA-Mexico -- When will tickets go on sale??

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by PhillyQuakesFan, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blim8183

blim8183 Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holding this game anywhere other than Columbus would be CRIMINALLY stupid.

3. anazarn

anazarn Member

May 27, 2008
    El Paso
    Club:
    CF Indios de Ciudad Juárez
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A graphical representation of my predictions if the game is played in Seattle:

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if we hold it in SLC can I say I told you so? The reaction was like I claimed the Earth was flat...

5. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ESPN Deportes article is saying they're looking at SLC because they want to have a bigger TV audience (i.e., they'll get more viewers from CA if it's played out west).

6. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My spanish friend said that it said 90% Seattle.

I can understand the want of a higher west coast TV audience and to drum up soccer interest in Seattle with the Sounder coming in to MLS but to me, this is being allowed to trump common sense.

All the European players have to fly an extra 6 hours to Seattle. The stadium capacity is 50K, as good as Seattle is, I dont think it will be sold out by just American soccer fans....we will see a high number of Mexicans at this game and from a selfish standpoint, it will cost me more money to get there.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Which is interesting as one of the post-draw press conference quotes from Bradley indicated that for competitive reasons they likely wouldn't be playing Mexico at home at altitude. Which would seem to eliminate Rio Tinto and Dick's.

8. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I've heard a similar rumor about Seattle. But didn't BB also say he did want to play on turf (for this match in particular I understand the altitude argument).

Besides, on Seattle, compared to venues with SSS, I don't remember USSF/MLS ever rewarding cities for getting a club, only for the new venue; unless Paul Allen & Co. will be the new sugar daddy of the league?

9. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What other stadium are you referring too?
    Check your flight times. According to Orbitz Seattle is only 1-2 hrs longer flight than JFK from LHR. Seattle is quicker and easier to get to than any city that doesn't have a direct flight. And Seattle is 67K not 50K ... might be too big?

10. 3.2's

3.2's Member

Oct 22, 2007
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    salt lakes elevation is only 4200'. I wouldnt consider that 'at altitude'. chump change.

11. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may have the seating capacity wrong for QWest. I did not look it up so there you go.

Nor did I look up flights from Europe to Seattle. I know it is a longer flight, I'll put it that way

12. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much do tickets usually cost for WCQ matches? Especially if it is at a smaller stadium like Rio Tinto?

14. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TNT at Toyota PArk last round started at $25. I remember the Hartford and Bimingham WCQ's being around the same, mayble just a touch higher.

15. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong....But are you (or Orbitz) saying that a flight from NY to Seattle takes just 1-2 hours?

If so, how much do those tickets on the space shuttle go for anyway?:D

16. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theres also a -3 hour time difference than New York. The flight is an extra 5:30 hours from Kennedy.

17. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yea your right but does it tell you the flight path? Perhaps the planes will take the russia route into Seattle - flying west to east is faster because of jet streams

18. ThePebble

ThePebble New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    There is also a factor of time difference.

What would have been 5-hours becomes 8-hours. A game going on at 8pm in Seattle will feel like a 4am kickoff time! It is bad enough playing when you feel like it is 1am, but this is infinitely worse.

I do a lot of traveling and the biggest cause of fatigue is time difference. It is adding another advantage to Mexico.

19. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but while the -8 is alot, jetlag is easier to deal with going west. They'll probably have a short camp to get their biological clocks acclimated to the time difference.

20. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    thanks for sharing!

The article states that the USSF has a deadline to inform the mexis about the official venue by Dec 15th.

If your friend is refering @ the article for the 90% figure, he's incorrect as the article doesn't state that.

He does mention the following in the article:

Después de consultar varias fuentes en México y en los Estados Unidos, todo indica que sería Seattle, Washington el lugar sede para el arranque del hexagonal

translation = after checking up with various Mexi and American leads, everything indicates that the HEX will start in Seattle...

But the author of the article states on the last paragraph, that he dares to say that the game will NOT be played a C-bus and instead it will be in the West coast...

Lo que si es que me atrevo a decir que no será más en Columbus, Ohio y el partido se llevará a cabo en la Costa Oeste.

He also states the following:

Si es Salt Lake, sería pasto artificial y de alguna manera podrían controlar la taquilla, si es en Seattle, pues es pasto sintético.

Translation = if it's played in SL it would be on artificial turf and they could control the tix sales, if it's in Seattle it would be on syntetic turf.

Am I missing something or isn't artificial and syntetic turf the same $hit!? :confused:

We'll just have to wait and see!

Who knows what this guys knows...

21. ThePebble

ThePebble New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Yes, it is easier but it isn't easy. The body dies earlier at night since that is early morning.

Placing the game in Seattle, or even SLC, is more like catering the game to Mexican fans. It just makes little to no sense.

22. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's bad.

Direct flights, near polar route. Hello?

23. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But there isn't a time difference.

For TV this game will be played in prime time - 6pm Pacific, 9pm Eastern. Thats the same time back in Europe.

It's also another reason to avoid the east cost. Playing up to 11pm outside on Feb 11 would totally suck. Go West Sunil, Go West!

24. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I do know that is if the game is played at Rio Tinto, it will be played on grass, not turf.

25. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or snow.