Pre-match: USA @ Mexico wcq 3/24/2022: which tool do we use? A sludge hammer or a surgical scalpel?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Feb 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 OWN(yewu)ED, Feb 3, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    First things first, think with the strategic game in mind. The long view. There are three games and nine points available with nothing less than World Cup qualification on the line.

first, and most important observation, we are going against their weakest point in wcq in their history, ever. It is our most talented roster combined with their most uninspiring, sterile roster ever. There is not one player on their roster worth fearing or even respecting. Not one. They play as individuals. They play scared. They okay without purpose. They play like us on our worst day.

so what’s the answer knowing we gotta keep guys fresh? I say a surgical scalpel, as tempting as it is to pound them into submission . I seriously entertain resting Adams, who is on a yellow. We NEED him for Panama, and we need Adams for that, So I think about starting Busio at the 6. Yes, he is small, but up against the Mexico midfield, he’s physically a wash. So let’s get a give him the chance to cook against these guys. Zimmerman and m rob pairing should give busio enough of a security blanket

that goes same for forward. I asked in another thread is it possible to get Reyna,Pulisic, and weah on the field at the same time, and you know what? Against Mexico, we might be able to swing that if we put Weah at the nine, their defense is shambolic and can be had with some tikka takka.

ultimately, even with long game in mind here, knowing how fragile Tatas Mexico is, I say we okay for the win and get our first WCQ win in Mexico. We are both soft teams, but while we are My Pillow soft, they are Alexandria Egypt goose feather down comforter 1000 thread count soft

2. CD#9

CD#9 New Member

May 21, 2012
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Did you see Kellen Acosta in the Gold Cup and last night? He is the answer for MEX, I 100% agree on resting Adams to avoid a yellow that would keep him out of Panama. I like Busio but Acosta is the guy for his match up.

I was actually yelling when they subbed Tyler out vs Canada to leave him on the field to get a yellow for dissent before taking him off.

dark knight, jnielsen, Marko72 and 3 others repped this.
  3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    acosta would be firmly in the sludge hammer smash department I’d say , though his free quicks are a joy. But set pieces are also a Busio strength, either of them in corners will be useful to find our guys in the box

4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last 3 times Acosta has started, we've gotten favorable results v. Mexico - 2 wins at home, 1 draw on the road. So you might want to think about deploying him here and saving Adams for the more important Panama match, as well as the finale if need be. I agree with that strategy, but you definitely need the sledgehammer type at Mexico.

An Acosta-McKennie-Musah mf would be tough for Mexico to deal with. They're not going to apply a low block at home v. anyone. They have more pride than Canada. That cm will be creative enough running into wider spaces.

I'd be tempted to use Reyna as the 10/8, because of his last star performance v. Mexico and 2-way play, but might as well stick with the known mettle, and just play him at the wing.

Weah can man the other wing. We don't know he'll be a proper target, which we'll need centrally. I think it's up in the air who that is right now. Hopefully it materializes by this match. But I don't think I'd start Pepi in his form, because of his previous performance vs. Mexico, and having almost played for them.

I definitely don't start CP here. He still hasn't had a good start for the US in competition in 2 and a half years. All he keeps reinforcing with bench contributions is he's more effective as a super-sub. Maybe he can start the home match v. Panama. But I'm on the fence about that too.

CD#9, The Clientele, Marko72 and 2 others repped this.
  5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am absolutely in the CP substitution Camp as well, but great point about Acosta

The Clientele repped this.
  6. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Trying to picture a sludge hammer. Sounds like a mess.

7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    [​IMG]

Dr. Gamera, beamish, Master O and 5 others repped this.
  8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Brings to mind my favorite disco group, Sister Sludge.

9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just caught that, this is what I get for typing on my IPhone. If a mod could correct that itd be great but if not I wear the shame in sadness.

MPNumber9 and The Clientele repped this.
  10. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean the question for me is how much more tired are our guys going to be after playing this game at altitude.

Except for Costa Rica, Jamaica lost 3-0 at home following its game at the Azteca, Honduras lost 2-0 at home, and Canada had their worst result of qualifying in a road tie against Jamaica where they really didn’t play well.

We should definitely try and get a result against Mexico, but at the same time we should be planning for our first choice lineup to be ready to go for Panama. I don’t doubt we can get a result against Mexico, I just don’t want our guys to be exhausted for Panama because of the extra strain from the altitude.

jnielsen, MarioKempes and Marko72 repped this.
  11. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pulisic had the winning goals in 2 of the 3 mexico wins, so sure, benching him makes a ton of sense. but that was a long time ago, unlike the gold cup final...

12. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pepi
    Morris---------Weah
    -DLT---McKenine-
    --------Acosta--------
    Jedi-Brooks-Zimmerman/Robinson-Dest

13. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Now that everyone realizes it's the system that stinks and not necessarily our strikers, I don't see another choice but to bring Sargent back, and likely have him starting.

14. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    1. Why before Adams was being subbed out, let him to grab someone for a yellow card so he can set out the Honduras game to sweep clean?
    2. Glad we find old set pieces juice, because we all know how good Mexico defending their set pieces.

15. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    My take may not correct:

When JoMo pulled up (no much thing happen), he actually open up the space for Air Weston to freelance. But when Pulisic here, he took the space away by his freelance. So Gregg moves Wes to right and put Musah there, and Musah cannot do shit because no space there.

16. slider4CU

slider4CU Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    Apr 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Hector Herrera for sure. Possibly no Lozano. Arguably their best two players

17. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is Mexicos yellow card situation?

18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think just Hererra is missing because of suspension.

19. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mostly I'd want both him and Weah to be completely ready to go against Panama.

I'd consider staring Aaronson and Arriola against Mexico. You can't really press aggressively at altitude but I'd let those guys run all day, and make sure Pulisic, Reyna, and Weah are all fresh for Panama.

20. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the FIFA summaries to double check this but only saw that he got a yellow against Panama. Do we see anything concrete that he's out? Makes losing McKennie a little easier to swallow.

21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    papermache16 repped this.
  22. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Mexico, Panama, @costa Rica. This is our most difficult window.
    3 games and 9 points on the line. We want to finish top 3, and currently, we have 21 points. Who can hurt us? Costa Rica can get 9 points and finish with 25 points. We have to at least beat Panama and finish with 24 points. If CR beats Canada at home in its first match, we should start to get worried. We should not be in this position, but we are yet again.

I think you go with a B team against Mexico, including goalkeeper. Hopefully Turner or Steffen will be available for Panama. You get 3 points against Panama and fight for 1 @ Costa Rica

23. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Mexico team is gettable. Two home games against Costa Rica and Panama and all they get is a PK? I don't see why we can't get a point from Azteca like we have the past two cycles.

Hot take: Costa Rica beats Canada but drops points in El Salvador on Matchday 13.

24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    If that did happen, that would be extremely funny.

25. saxman

saxman Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Frederick,Maryland
    I respectfully disagree. Some roster rotation, yes. But I say we go in trying to get points. Play Adams. If he picks up a yellow and has to miss Panama, so be it. We should be able to handle Panama at home. And if he should miss Panam, he is completely rested for the game in Costa Rica. Should we go down there still needing a point, I want him in the lineup.

In short, I think there is a valuable point (or three) to be had in Mexico.

edcrocker repped this.