USA - Mexico in Seattle or Salt Lake?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by metroflip73, Dec 11, 2008.

1. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's in SLC I bet that guy with the bagpipes is there!

2. ThePebble

ThePebble New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    If someone is posting in this thread then they are contemplating going to the game. If someone writing that the atmosphere in Utah will likely not be as good as the atmosphere in Ohio deters someone from going then they aren’t much of a fan to begin with.

I doubt very much that anyone is sitting on the fence while reading these posts. That is just absurd.

3. 3.2's

3.2's Member

Oct 22, 2007
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i also very much doubt anyone would not go just because one person has the unfounded opinion that the cheering in one area of the country is better than another area.

4. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wouldn't deter me.

That might.

5. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Nothing has been announced.

6. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is SLC '' much harder to reach than most places '' ? Do planes not fly to Salt Lake? its slightly longer for fans coming from back east, but its not like its overly difficult to get there.

And also, how is it unproven ? SLC had easily the second best atmosphere of the hex in 05. There were over 40,000 fans at Rice Eccles, and only a couple thousand costa ricans.The crowd was loud, and into the game the entire time. It felt awesome being in the stands and knowing that the entire stadium was really pushing the team to win.The players all loved their time in SLC in 05, and that is why it is a leading canidate for this match. Plus, this will be in a smaller venue, which means less tickets for opposing fans.

Yes it sucks that it isnt in C-Bus. I was looking forward to it as much as anyone.

But this is USA-Mexico. Salt Lake is a beautiful city, and if you have never been , you will not regret coming to the city for the match.

We are gonna be loud as hell, and we will all be there singing and chanting as we watch los mexicanos frios cry after they lose 2-0.

Come on US !

7. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    as has been said, nothing has been announced. hopefully VERY soon it will be.

8. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NOTE: Rio Tinto has a ban on the plastic horns that frequent the US-Mexico matches. Not sure if they will remove the ban temporarily for this match

9. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Someone ensue they do not. Its our home game

10. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my mistake, but yes you are correct.

11. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had never sold the horns at any RSL matches at Rice Eccles Stadium, with the exception of the US-Costa Rica WCQ in '05. Unfortunately, due to that exception (and perhaps pressure from USSF and their authorized vendors???), I'm afraid they might lift the ban for this match

12. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Are any of the local supporters groups leaders also US supporters? If so see if they can contact the powers that be.

13. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, we want to make sure this goes through (in case there are any last minute contract/financial disputes) before we start asking our FO to make demands - wouldn't want that to affect the USSF decission at the last minute;)

And I believe almost all of the supporter groups are led by US supporters - at least the Big 3 are (The Loyalists, Rogue Cavaliers Brigade - RCB, and FCB)

14. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, for those sitting on the fence, how about a few thoughts from someone who's been to WCQs in both cities?

(Who could we find??? Wait! I have!!!!!)

Columbus:

La Guerra Fria 2001: Really, really cold. Great atmosphere. No one in the stadium sat down all game (metal bleachers + sub-20 degree weather will do that). Not a lot of organized Mexican support in the stadium (outside was another matter). Great result. Would go again. In fact...

(2nd Columbus match, Jamaica 2004. About as well as could be expected for a meaningless match (at least to US, not so much for the Reggae Boyz) on a cold, wet, miserable November evening in a stadium about 1/4 full (for the reasons above - if the game had meant something, I imagine it would have a bit better attended, but it would have still been cold and miserable cheering in an inch of standing water in the North End. Would still go to Cbus again.)

Salt Lake:

Costa Rica 2005: Yes, it was a doubleheader, but the US match was first...40,000 people, and only the usually expected number of Tico fans (about 5000 or so) in attendance that you get no matter where you play Costa Rica. Beautiful June Saturday afternoon. Louder than Columbus. Let me repeat that. Louder than Columbus. I realize that this time around, it'll be in a smaller stadium, but this time, we'll have a roof (unlike Crew Stadium).

Look, I was planning on going either way. Salt Lake will cost me more to get there (don't really have the time to drive to Utah, especially across Nebraska and Wyoming in the dead of winter), but that's offset a bit by having a free place to stay and home cooking :).

Both are great places to watch a game. Both cities will come out in droves to supoport the National Team. Both will provide a great atmosphere.

15. Lolonearbyyolo

Apr 17, 2006
    Section 138
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The controversy is stupid.

I was looking forward to the game in Columbus but I think Salt Lke City could actually be ANOTHER fortress of US Soccer power. Don't hate, people...think of the empire!

We are getting stronger...

Imagine having another place just like Columbus!

I'll be there no matter where it is. All you 'regionalists' need to take step back and look at the big picture. It's not about YOU.

16. Artesian

Artesian New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    The Evergreen State
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone calling themselves a fan who's loyalty is dependent upon which stadium gets a match should die in a proverbial fire. Seriously. You make me vomit.

17. ThePebble

ThePebble New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Are you going to legitimately argue that SLC is easier to drive to for more people than Columbus?

Come on.

This is my hope. We'll see.

Some people see the ugliness that exists in certain places. I would never call SLC "beautiful." Though it can have some nice scenery.

Being as nobody ever wrote anything about that, I am having a bit of trouble wondering who it is directed at. Maybe you just like responding to things that aren't posted. In which case the following was written just for you:

I can't believe that people don't recognize the beauty that exists in unicorns. Anyone that doesn't want to own one of these magical beasts should be squashed by a giant tree!

18. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008

where did anyone say that their loyalty was dependent upon where this is played?

19. 4Winds

4Winds New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Chattanooga
    Loyalty does not depend on attendance at any single game or stadium. Logistics and costs will be big factors in the decisions made by - yes - fans, regarding whether or not to attend the game.

Hope your comments don't come back to haunt you if there happens to be a game you can't go to.

20. SLC has hotter chicks than Columbus.

Case closed.

:D

21. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    you cant make a statement like that without visual evidence!

back it up with a pictorial comparison please.... :D

22. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally.

23. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in SLC in 2005 vs Costa Rica. It was a good crowd. I though the supporters section crowd was a bit small and disorganized. The city was nice and I enjoyed the places I visited.

I was in Columbus in 2005 vs Mexico. It was a great crowd and there were way more supporters in the end zone for this game. We were wayyy louder in this game then we were in SLC. I enjoyed the time in Columbus like I always do.

Not that is not to say that the supporter crowd in SLC will be the same for this game as it was for Cost Rica because Mexico brings out the best in us along with more travelling fans. I'm sure the crowd will be better for this game. Will it be better than Columbus? I'm sure people will argue that like they do everything else.

I don't like the game in SLC for more tactical reasons they anything else. (1) The higher altitude, (2) I think it woud be colder in columbus and (3) after visiting both cities, I feel there is a larger Mexican community in the SLC Area.

Add in the fact that it will cost me more to get there (and I will now need to adjust my work schedule 2/10 to fly out), I would prefer the game in Columbus.

24. In the absence of visual evidence, I hope you will trust my judgment! It may be harder to see in the dead of winter, but c'mon, haven't you ever noticed how hot Mormon women are? :D

25. ThePebble

ThePebble New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Previously, you had brought up another factor in all of this: Tradition.

As you so noted, USA has a lot of history but not a lot of tradition. Playing this game in Columbus was sort of becoming that tradition. Moving the game means eliminating that tradition.