USA-Mexico In and Post-Game

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by dcajedi, Sep 7, 2003.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Unless one of the younger kids has any experience, I'm guessing that Mia would be an emergency in-game replacement.

Now if we have to start a game without either Scurry or Mullinix being available it means that 1) it's probably a knockout game, 2) which means we're playing a team with some talent, 3) which means we're likely screwed, 4) which means it really doesn't matter who we put in the net - the important thing will be who we place in front of the goalkeeper to limit exposure.

Both Scurry and Mullinix will be expected to play hurt. Being a meaningless friendly Scurry coming off was a precaution. In the World Cup, she probably would've tried to suck it up and keep playing. Especially if we'd already used up all three subs.

2. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Obviously if it were to happen in game then we'd be screwed.

But what is the procedure for activating an alternate? Say before a game.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No alternates once the first game starts. Injury replacements are available until then.

4. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I give a slight pass on the finishing, as the Mexican keeper played an incrredible game (remember, 3 goals were on PKs)

5. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Yes, sadly that's what I wanted to know too. It really didn't hurt the US in this match much, though. Molina and the crossbar kept Mexico alive through much of this match. But what it did hurt it Bivens' chances of starting/playing against Sweden if the game is as tight as its predicted to be, will April risk a player who may get ejected for a silly foul?

Didn't think the take down of Lilly in the 2nd half was an obvious PK. Thought Lilly had more of a case for the one in the first half. The other PKs were deserved. If the ball had merely bounced of the Mexican's outstretched arm that'd be another story, but she overtly played the ball forward with her hand. That's a PK.....

6. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Anyone think our Group A opponents will now be targeting that knee?

FIFA won't suspend Bivens for the Sweden match... but April might. Nothing new, Bivens makes rash challenges like that in WUSA too.

And the third PK was a bogus call as well.

Finally, why is MacMillan on the team? 20 minutes in two matches she really needed to prove her fitness in (and she seemed to only play that as a tribute to Clive)? If she can't go, get someone on the team who can.

7. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I doubt that the field, over all, will be two goals better than Mexico. ie. the USA should win by margins of 2 or 3 goals in the first round.

The US defense is only shoddy compared with its own potent (if profligate) offense. A team that can successfully bunker and counter with great speed and finish with precision just might pull an upset. Where is that team?

Pumping up the opposition might make the WWC look competitive on paper, but the whole affair simply boils down to 2 or 3 teams.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beulah thought better of the team's play in this game than I did. Might have to watch the tape again.

Was Kate's play bad because of being on the left? I think so. The defenders are not as interchangable as some might think. Each of them can not play each position.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    dodgy pks

I disagree. She fell down, and put out both arms to catch herself, and one of them hit the ball and knocked it a bit. It wasn't on purpose, and it didn't help her much, as the ball was already underneath her and fairly stationary--there was no nearby US player she was keeping it away from, and the ball moved about a foot and stayed under her. I see no need to call a pk for such an incident. But then, if that's what you need to score goals against such an underdog, fine, good luck to ya...

11. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? The ball doesn't go in the net when she's around the goal.

That was a heck of a whiff on that one shot... WHOOOSH!!! :D

12. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Re: dodgy pks

No, she fell and hit the ball with her hands. I'll give you that. Then she reached forward with her left hand and knocked the ball forward. I thought she had heard a whistle already or was going for the classic "hand of God" move to put the ball directly under her feet as she stood up. No, US player close? Only Wambach towering over her and doubtless the reason she tried to use her hand to her advantage........

It was a good try when she fell the ball hit her hands she still had a hope of arguing that call, but after that it was "what was she thinking?"

13. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida

I didn't realize Abby Wambach carried an invisibility cloak. That should come in handy in two weeks, don't you think?

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I had your confidence. Have you seen Sweden play? I'll admit, I haven't but their record speaks for itself. NK is an unknown but again look at their record (sure maybe they just have China's number).

15. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY

Horse hockey! The Mexican decided to take the cynical route in her play. The defender thought she would get the call if went down in a dive and gathered the ball to speed the restart. This has become a popular tactic for getting the call from the referee. You usually don't see a player do this in their own penalty box. I am glad the referee had the guts to make the call. I wish more referees would call these dives what they are. Mexico is lucky she didn't draw a yellow for USB.

16. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Afraid of... the ball?

Did anyone else notice one of the US defensive players wince from the ball and an on-rushing player, as if afraid, several times during the game when she clearly had the advantage (right of way, if you will)? I think the player was Joy Fawcett, although it *may* have been (though likely not) Julie Foudy. It happened at least 3 times with the same player. It was disturbing, as if watching a local soccer match amongst middle schoolers. I was most surprised that a player of her stature would be "afraid of the ball." And I can say that it also did not look like a case of her being cautious this close to the cup such as not to get hurt. Does anyone know who it was?

BTW, on the call with the Mexico hand ball resulting in the PK, I too thought it was very obvious -- blatantly so! -- that the Mexican player willingly tried to move the ball with her hand. When I first saw the play at full speed, I thought there might've been a chance at an unintentional handball, but after the replay, it was all too obvious.

17. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Someone's not paying attention - we might be a couple of goals better than Nigeria, but Sweden and N Korea are a different matter altogether.

18. moreliano

moreliano Member

Sep 11, 2002
    santa cruz
    was not impress at all

i saw the game on telemundo and the announcers said that the 3 penalty calls were a bunch of crap. i happend to agree with them, it seems the u.s.a team needed the help of the referee to scroe goals. when the u.s.a. acted like she hurt her self, it should have been a penalty in favor of mexico, she clearly came with her knees up and hit the mexican player in the back. The announcers in Telemundo agree that it was a PK for mexico. By the way the mexican team had 3 players from under 17 yrs and most of the rest were new to the team because alot of the regular needed to rest since they had just played at the panamerican games...Not impress at all by the u.s team, in 5 years the mexican female team will be beating the u.s. team consistenly.

19. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Mac didn't play cause the last sub was used when Bri came out. Otherwise Mac would have seen minutes.

20. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Re: was not impress at all

I think it's safe to say Telemundo's announcers were a bit biased.

Bri was hurt. She wasn't faking it. Of all th eteams in the womens game the one team that seldomly resorts to "faking" injuries is team USA. What possible reason would there be for Bri to fake it against Mexico?

Oh and I really don't think Mexico will be beating the US consistently in 5 years. They have too much catching up to do.

21. moreliano

moreliano Member

Sep 11, 2002
    santa cruz
    did you see the replay? she is the one who hit the mexican player in the back with her knees. Maybe she was faking it because she knew she had fouled the mexican player and it should have been a PK call. Anyways did you see when she walk off the field had a smile in her face, did look hurt at all. The referee sucked...

22. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Too funny.

23. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    While I agree that two of the three PKs we got were bogus, no way should Scurry have been whistled for that play. She made a clean play on the ball and the Mexican was simply in the way after that - a completely fair challenge. If she went through her to get to the ball, it's a different story.

24. Layman

Layman Member

Mar 7, 2002
    You are wrong. If it happens to Lilly with the Mexican goal keeper flying with her knee up to knock Lilly down in the penalty area, you will not only think it should be a pk but a red card too. This is very dangerous play and can easily cause casulty. I am disappointed that the standard of refereeing in women soccer is not yet up to what one can expect. The next target of FIFA and USSF should be to improve the ability of our referees.

25. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Shannon Boxx is the 3rd player to score a goal in her first two US matches. The others were Michelle Akers and Nicki Neaton. Nicki who? I suppose she was still in the pool for the 99 World Cup and didn't make it. Still I don't know her.