USA in Group C for 2011 Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by the_tayjay, Mar 8, 2011.

1. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man the goildcup..such a yawn.

2. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

USA vs. Canada interesting game given the location, but on a Wednesday it's going to be interesting how big of a crowd shows up.

3. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They came pretty damn close to tying us in that 2007 matchup.
    i'll admit though, I have no idea what players that they have on the team now, i'm sure Dwayne Derosario isn't playing.
    Anyone out there have a quick scouting report on the Canucks?

4. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Think of the US in 96, 97, 98.

I watched their match versus Greece recently and while solid they won't hold up over 90 minutes. They will make mistakes when pressed, forced and unforced, and they aren't very incisive going forward...won't break you down with creative moments. If you remember, they only really started pushing us in the last 15 minutes or so. We were in complete control, should have had a third, and then they played "old time hockey" to get back into it.

Hutchinson in Copenhagen can cause grief for anybody and sting you, Kuklowski (Brugge I think?) is a good defender, and one who would get time with us IMO right now. Overall they are what they are.

Good enough that they are tough to play against, and on a good day real tough, but not good enough to withstand a quality team over 90.

IMO they can earn a draw with us, a win would be a big upset of course, but if we play competently we will get more than enough chances. Just gotta score:eek:.
    No given there of course...well, our forwards anyway.

That's what I take from the Greece match, having watched a match versus Venezuela, and knowing a bit about their better players.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Solid team. We'll be favored, but you never know..............
    Canada's "A" team has the capability to play really well, but they're extremely thin.

I like their midfield, with DeRo (if he plays), Hutchinson, Will Johnson, Josh Simpson (having a really good year in Turkey), a healthy DeGuzman, etc.

Seriously, if Cann, DeRo, and DeGuzman play for Canada in the Gold Cup......TFC might not be able to field a team. It wouldn't shock me if DeRo and company request to stay with TFC. DeRo is 32.........no spring chicken.

But their forwards leave something to be desired. They're even in worse shape than we are there. Rob Friend is the wrong side of 30, and is exactly the type of forward the US usually handles. Iain Hume is good on his day, but has struggled to score at the international level. Olivier Occean never really developed the way Canada was hoping. (Last I knew he was at Kickers Offenbach). Simeon Jackson has his moments, but I've never been thoroughly impressed with him.

Help might be on the way, as their U17's (comprised mainly of kids at the TFC, Montreal, and Vancouver academies) made the final of the CONCACAF U17 championships. But those kids are years away, and can't help this version of Canada.

6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    DeRosario's quality comes strictly from US posters based on his MLS play. He has never replicated that form internationally. Not even close.

DeGuzman clearly looks like less of player than he was 4 years ago.

The under 17's is always a crapshoot and I saw nothing that suggests help is imminently on the way from there yet. More soldiers.

This team looks a bit more professional and organized than the team of 4 years ago, but not as dangerous.

Long way to go.

If Holliet decides to play for them then he and Hutch can give them a danger element. There d with Kuklowsi (their best player IMO) and the guy from Newcastle (forgot his name) is fine for CCAF.

As a fan of Canuck soccer for many, many years I am less forgiving than US fans who seem to try and create more quality and potential than there is. I actually want them to succeed, and ignoring the reality and hoping doesn't do that.

They are a middling CCAF team. It's not bad luck or a tough draw, or terrible calls all of the time. They are middling. That's it.

They have a chance to take a bit of a step up because of MLS in the near future, but it won't happen that fast.

This US team is more settled than our team in 2007 if people care to recall the actual situation, while this Canuck team seems less. If we score early they are in trouble this time.

The Ian Hume Hanson brother's show will be handled more adroitly by this set of US players compared to last time.

The gap has widened. Still, this is soccer and goals are hard to come by. We should know that the days of incompetent teams are over for the most part but Canada has a ways to go. Tie possible, but last time I thought they could win if they got out in front. Much less chance of that this time IMO.

I think Panama, with their athleticism, and better structure on the field is more of a bogey team this time around. Dely Valdes is doing a nice job.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The last few times the USA has played Canada the games have been scrappy and competitive. They match up with us physically and have the "little brother" attitude that may help them upset us one day if we are not careful. They are not afraid of us.

8. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

Hope we can go undefeated in group play and make the final at the Rose Bowl.

9. royslist

royslist New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't we all !!

10. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part A - group play - not a problem

Part B - Rose Bowl - hopefully

11. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as I will always say, the only disappointment is the US not playing in AZ.

12. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

UofP Stadium would've had a good crowd, is that the stadium you were thinking?

13. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    si.

14. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thx for the reports Zoidberg/ClintEastwood, they sound tough but a team that will ultimetly break down if the U.S keeps probing them.

15. UShornet

UShornet Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Omaha and I cannot wait to head down to Kansas City for the game against Guadeloupe.

16. PHX85339

PHX85339 New Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    ++1

17. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

I'm probably just going to try to make the Gold Cup Final, but haven't got the tickets yet.