USA in Confederation Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by helmzgk, Oct 9, 2002.

1. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    I didn't realize that the US was going to play. It said in yahoo sports that they are scheduled to play. Are teams invited to the CC or is it based off something else?

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's the champions of each confederation: concacaf, conebol, uefa, etc. plus the host.
    the u.s. brazil (world champ)l france (host) cameron columbia japan and new zealand. germany just said today that they aren't gonna play. fifa isn't sure who will replace them in the 8 team field.

3. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    My money would be on Portugal participating. They don't have to qualify for Euro 2004 because they're the hosts. They probably want some matches to break in new players (and get revenge for losing to the USA).

Sachin

4. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Well the Germans have informed FIFA that they won't take up the invite. They are concentrating on their Euro Qualification matches.

5. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    Then we're in because we won the Gold Cup, correct? Any news on Copa America, I thought I had seen some rumors.

I'd like to see Portugal replace Germany, as Sachin said, they do need the games. I wonder if they will face the US? that'd be really interesting.

6. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the Germans instead of the Italians?

Were the Germans initially offered the "guest" spot instead of the Italians? Italy is the Euro 2000 runner-up, so it would make sense for them to get an invite as the UEFA rep since France is already in as the host.

Anyway, Portugal would be a good pick. There's a large Portuguese immigrant community in Paris that would probably help attendance for the tourney.

7. Marcio

Marcio New Member

Jul 17, 2002
    Conmebol will probably call Mexico and CR for Copa America

I doubt US will be call again, USSF shun Copa America a few years ago it won't be forgotten by the Conmebol

8. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Gold Cup champion of 2003 will get an automatic invite to Copa America.

9. LDinCT

LDinCT New Member

Jan 7, 2002
    when?

When is it? I thought I read the nats were playing Nov 17th, is this another game?

10. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: when?

Nov. 17 is a completely unrelated friendly.

11. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That is not true Conmebol has not stated anything about the Gold Cup champ getting an automatic invite. The only thing that Conmebol has stated is that they will invite whom they wish and that Mexico has permanent guest status.