Post-match: USA @ Guatemala - Post Game Thread[R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico did... which proves my point. They are unwilling to change their tactics to beat us. They just keep insisting their better because they can beat other sides. The US, on the other hand, is willing to change tactics and play ugly if that is what it takes to win. That's what we did on Wednesday. So you can't look at the way we played on Wednesday and project to the WC finals.

2. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Hahaha, change tactics? when did that happen under Bob? All I see are ugly plays and same damn kick and chase and scoring goals on set plays the last 1.5 years, that's about it.

3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swap Mexico and the US in their WC 06 groups and which team do you think advances and which one does not? Unfortunately, seeding is one of the biggest barriers the US has to face in advancing in WC finals since seeding is partly based on previous WC performance. Makes it difficult for the lesser teams to advance even when they have a year where they bring a decent squad.

4. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great point. This is one of the reasons why I hate soccer.
    It's also one of the reasons why I love soccer:)

5. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Every game it is defensive soccer with 4 in the back, 2 defensive mids, and the the same old callups. We play compact, and pray for an error or set piece. There have been maybe a few times we played soccer, and thats when we had the right players in.

6. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Not only will we not win, we're heading for 3 and out ... again if we continue to use these tactics

We saw how it worked in the big friendlies we played. Now were struggling to beat low level teams. Bradley is clueless

7. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005
    Yes because he cares more about winning than playing ''pretty'' soccer.I vote you in as our next coach:rolleyes:

8. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I can support that vote. He seems a little too loose for my tastes. . .

9. Reverend Paul

Reverend Paul Member

Dec 23, 1999
    San Clemente
    Cannons said nothing about "pretty". What we need is a style of soccer that will do more than qualify us for the WC. A style that has us being overrun by Guatemale for much of the game isn't that style (despite the result of this match).

10. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I haven't been on bigsoccer for a week because I haven't had internet, but I did see the game. Instead of saying the things everyone else has been saying for the last 4 days, I would just like to say:

Thank you, Gustavo Cabrera; and well coached, Bob Bradley

11. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Elbowed a guy in the head, much like what Pearce suffered. The Surinam ref didn't buy it, though. Bama.

12. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, 'cuz you should be able to use the same strategy v. Guatemala in Guatemala as your WC opponents in South Africa.

:rolleyes:

Every time we've gone into the World Cup - and most other national teams do the same thing - the team that qualified (in terms of personnel and tactics) is not the team that goes to the Cup. Sometimes it works (02), sometimes it doesn't (98, 06). But the competition is different between regional home and away matches and group play in the World Cup.